Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Spark and the Boat!
4379 16 2017-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
IrishPilot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11060 ft
United States

I have seen a lot of threads/posts where people are afraid of flying over the water. I pretty much purchased my Spark to take photos of us while we are out on our boat and in the near future when we charter a boat in the British Virgin Islands. This was my first attempt of doing some video while the boat was moving and it worked flawlessly. I was impressed that the active track sensor recognized the boat as a boat...as oppose to a car etc. No music as this is just raw video I uploaded from my iPad to YouTube:

2017-8-21
Use props
Martin Lines
lvl.4
Flight distance : 19147 ft
United Kingdom

Great shot, thats exactly what I am plucking up the courage to do
2017-8-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Love these shots. Thanks for sharing!
2017-8-21
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

The video looks great! Thanks for sharing with us.
2017-8-21
Use props
isaacDuy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 57313 ft
Vietnam

L.o.v.e it
2017-8-21
Use props
Quad-Ken
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20810 ft
United States

Nice video! I have a vintage Bertram and want to do the same thing but haven't worked up the courage yet. How easy did you find landing the drone back on the boat? Did you go out of gear or keep moving slowly for landing? I'm thinking it may be much easier flying back to the stern for a landing versus the bow.
2017-8-21
Use props
PascalG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 274327 ft
United States

Nice video

I mostly fly from the boat and unless the wind is dead calm I find it much easier to take off and land from the bow than the stern as there is less turbulence and air flow disruption.  I usually take off from the deck  or sun pad but retrieve by grabbing from a  hover    By launching and retrieving  from the bow you will usually be further away from engines, generators, etc...

It is indeed a little nerve wracking to fly from a boat but you ll get over it
2017-8-21
Use props
IrishPilot
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11060 ft
United States

Quad-Ken Posted at 2017-8-21 07:56
Nice video! I have a vintage Bertram and want to do the same thing but haven't worked up the courage yet. How easy did you find landing the drone back on the boat? Did you go out of gear or keep moving slowly for landing? I'm thinking it may be much easier flying back to the stern for a landing versus the bow.

I slowed the boat and brought it into the transom. It is important to turn off the collision sensor, which I didn't do,  or you have to fly it into the boat backwards. I grabbed it (not hard to do) and turned it over quickly to kill the motors. I have now done this about a dozen times without issue. I think if I took the table out of the rear sitting area, I could land it on the deck even while moving slowly.
2017-8-21
Use props
Dutch Drone Adv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61535 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very Nice! Good Job!
2017-8-21
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I could have bought a p4p, but picked up the Spark because I perceived it to be much more boater friendly.  So far it has been great!
2017-8-21
Use props
Funkyozzi
New
Vietnam

How does it work? By that I mean how does it keep following the boat and updating its home location?
2017-11-15
Use props
Ryan's Sparky
lvl.4
Flight distance : 302316 ft
Norway

nice work well done
2017-11-16
Use props
Lyons90
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164528 ft
Australia

Quad-Ken Posted at 2017-8-21 07:56

When bringing back to the boat, I put it back into Gesture mode and land on my hand.
When slowly moving along I found that to be the most comfortable. And of course the grab and flip if in a rush.
2017-11-16
Use props
fans256166a5
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Did you land on the moving boat or did you have to stop the boat? - Can you share the landing footage please?
2017-12-31
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great to see - nice work
2017-12-31
Use props
CharlieZ
lvl.4