Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Compass calibration
8935 33 2017-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Seanmcfc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2713 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Guys, can anyone help with the compass on the Phanton 4.only had it aweek and every tutorial I watch suggests calibration of the compass, even DJIs
Tutorial shows this,
My problem is I have no (calibration ) option against the compass, it just indicates normal.
Will this function appear if the compass needs calibrating or should it always be there as an option?

Thanks in advance, complete newbie
2017-8-21
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

It should tell you on status bar if it needs to be calibrated,  If it's flying fine with no warnings you should be good.
2017-8-21
Use props
Seanmcfc
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks Alabama, just a bit concerned that I couldn't calibrate it
2017-8-21
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
United Kingdom

If you need to calibrate (for example, if the app tells you to, or you get odd flight behaviour such as toilet bowl in a hover), go to Main Controller Settings/Advanced Settings/Sensors and click the compass button
2017-8-21
Use props
Seanmcfc
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks Paul, I will look at that,
2017-8-21
Use props
Seanmcfc
lvl.1
United Kingdom

On the DJI tutorial on YouTube it's shows the mode switch on the RC being moved back and forth 10 times to force a compass calibration, I don't really want to try that if I don't need to.
2017-8-21
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
United Kingdom

That was the method on earlier Phantoms, I don't know if it still works on the P4 (not saying it doesn't, just haven't tried) - the app is a better place to do it, it gives instructions and feedback
2017-8-21
Use props
ATJ
First Officer
Flight distance : 17736 ft
United States

Seanmcfc Posted at 2017-8-21 08:01
Thanks Paul, I will look at that,

Calibration for the Compass and the IMU are in the same location. Main Controller Settings /Advanced Settings/Sensors/Compass.

Occasionally I like to do a compass calibration on my own, but the usually the P4 will call for one when necessary.
2017-8-21
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
United States

I have only had to calibrate mine once in over a year.  If a warning pops up, can move it a few feet in another direction and it goes away. I've found out that the less you fiddle with
adjustments, the less trouble you can run into.
2017-8-21
Use props
george_007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 183045 ft
Sweden

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-8-21 08:34
I have only had to calibrate mine once in over a year.  If a warning pops up, can move it a few feet in another direction and it goes away. I've found out that the less you fiddle with
adjustments, the less trouble you can run into.

Hear hear!
2017-8-21
Use props
1HPC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1307700 ft
Denmark

Hello
After update to latest firmware my phantom 4 dont show callibrate compass no more , I have to do it manualy
2017-8-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

1HPC Posted at 2017-8-21 11:29
Hello
After update to latest firmware my phantom 4 dont show callibrate compass no more , I have to do it manualy

No you don't.
You shouldn't ever need to calibrate the compass (read what your manual says).

2017-8-21
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2017-8-21 15:08
No you don't.
You shouldn't ever need to calibrate the compass (read what your manual says).

Unfortunately they still haven't got the P4 manual 100% in that respect. P56 states what most now take as common practice, i.e. only calibrate when advised by system. But there is a note (near top of P67) that instructs calibrating compass before each flight. And that was released about five weeks ago.
2017-8-21
Use props
danfarr
New

United States

Let's talk about the function of calibrating the compass. Instead of so adamantly expressing you personal opinion.
2017-8-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

danfarr Posted at 2017-8-21 16:42
Let's talk about the function of calibrating the compass. Instead of so adamantly expressing you personal opinion.

No ... too many people perpetuate myths and encourage each other to mess with the compass.
If people would just leave their compass alone, there would be a lot less problems and lost Phantoms.

You don't ever need to recalibrate your compass unless you are adding accessories to it.
2017-8-21
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-8-21 17:02
No ... too many people perpetuate myths and encourage each other to mess with the compass.
If people would just leave their compass alone, there would be a lot less problems and lost Phantoms.

He makes a good case.
2017-8-21
Use props
Seanmcfc
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks all for your input. I think I will leave alone, until the phantom tells me it's required.
Most out of the box tutorials seem to be out of date.

Thanks again, many more questions on the way if that's ok
Complete newbie
2017-8-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Seanmcfc Posted at 2017-8-22 01:39
Thanks all for your input. I think I will leave alone, until the phantom tells me it's required.

If ever you think your Phantom is telling you to calibrate the compass ..... don't.
Just move away from the magnetic influence that's upsetting it.
2017-8-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Seanmcfc Posted at 2017-8-22 01:39

It's almost impossible to make a good compass better by calibration, but unfortunately it's very easy to make it worse.
Advice your getting is good.
2017-8-22
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-21 15:44
Unfortunately they still haven't got the P4 manual 100% in that respect. P56 states what most now take as common practice, i.e. only calibrate when advised by system. But there is a note (near top of P67) that instructs calibrating compass before each flight. And that was released about five weeks ago.

Aardvark
After days of combing through the P4P manual, I'm stuck, you state that on pg 67 there is a comment about doing a compass cal...looking at the manual I've got, v1.2 Jul 17, pg 67 is the last pg of the manual and there is no content on that page.  Can you clarify, is there another manual, or are you working from another platforms manual or better version?
2017-8-27
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-21 15:44
Aardvark
Another question for you, you posted, on another thread, which I cannot find now, about there being 5 items that need calibrating.  I copied it for my notes, and edited it a bit for my use, here it is:
1.   Compass: Page 57-58 // (in an open area not near or over steel reinforced concrete), away from ferrous materials or electromagnetic interference.  Get one good calibration, and that should be all that is needed until informed by system or erratic flying that needs investigation.  Note that any ferrous metals very close to legs (steel frame in desk, cutlery in kitchen drawer, windowsill strengthening etc.) will generate a 'compass error’; this does not mean compass needs recalibration.  Just move the aircraft away from source of interference.

2.   Sensors: pg 28 // (Use DJI Assistant 2, latest version), usually done just after an update on Assistant 2.

3.   IMU: (level surface, make sure it had time to cool down if it's been powered up, say half an hour at lowest ambient temperature, a cool evening or air conditioned room below <50ºF helps).  Using the newer '3D' IMU calibration routine, my last two IMU calibrations have been done at about 68ºF ambient air temperature.  The subsequent IMU warm up time when aircraft is first powered up and initializing does not seem to have been adversely affected, and warm up time is a few seconds at most.  ???

4.   Gimbal: (just after IMU) ???

5.   Remote Controller - Control Sticks: (Aircraft Off) GO 4 App?

Again, it was edited, so my question about this is...where in the manual (there is none that I can find P4P v1.2) does it explain or describe how you perform the IMU, Gimbal, and RC calibrations?  I'm guessing that the RC is done by the App, but is there something that explains the process?  However, I can find nothing anywhere that speaks to explain the IMU & Gimbal calibrations.  Anything you can provide on these areas will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
2017-8-27
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-8-27 03:59
Aardvark
After days of combing through the P4P manual, I'm stuck, you state that on pg 67 there is a comment about doing a compass cal...looking at the manual I've got, v1.2 Jul 17, pg 67 is the last pg of the manual and there is no content on that page.  Can you clarify, is there another manual, or are you working from another platforms manual or better version?

A typo on my part it should have read top of P57 not 67 as I typed. Those are referring to the P4 manual (not the pro or advanced) available from Here
2017-8-27
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-27 05:10
A typo on my part it should have read top of P57 not 67 as I typed. Those a referring to the P4 manual (not the pro or advanced) available from Here

OK, very good and thanks
FYI - pg 57 of the P4P manual v1.2 states that you should not do a Compass Cal unless the system prompts you to do so.
2017-8-27
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-8-27 04:27
AardvarkAnother question for you, you posted, on another thread, which I cannot find now, about there being 5 items that need calibrating.  I copied it for my notes, and edited it a bit for my use, here it is:1.   Compass: Page 57-58 // (in an open area not near or over steel reinforced concrete), away from ferrous materials or electromagnetic interference.  Get one good calibration, and that should be all that is needed until informed by system or erratic flying that needs investigation.  Note that any ferrous metals very close to legs (steel frame in desk, cutlery in kitchen drawer, windowsill strengthening etc.) will generate a 'compass error’; this does not mean compass needs recalibration.  Just move the aircraft away from source of interference.
2.   Sensors: pg 28 // (Use DJI Assistant 2, latest version), usually done just after an update on Assistant 2.
3.   IMU: (level surface, make sure it had time to cool down if it's been powered up, say half an hour at lowest ambient temperature, a cool evening or air conditioned room below

If you are buying the P4 pro then there will be similar references in There. Some are covered by instructional videos:-

For IMU calibration DJI Go 4 guides you through the steps needed. The process for calibrating the IMU changed for the P4, bringing it into line with the process' used in the Mavic, P4 Pro & P4 Advanced.

The DJI Go 4 App' guides you through the IMU initialisation, and similar for the Gimbal calibration and RC calibration. If you scroll up and down on that link I gave you for the P4P you will find lots of good information and videos to look at.

Best place to look in manual would be section on DJI Go 4 App', that and just manually using it and going through each section will point you to where to find the icons to initiate the calibrations.

The manuals are not quite 100% as yet.

2017-8-27
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-8-27 05:47
OK, very good and thanks
FYI - pg 57 of the P4P manual v1.2 states that you should not do a Compass Cal unless the system prompts you to do so.

"FYI - pg 57 of the P4P manual v1.2 states that you should not do a Compass Cal unless the system prompts you to do so."

Exactly, and correctly so. And it's these little bits that can cause confusion in the P4 manual. :-)

Edit:- But I always fully calibrate after any firmware update. My logic being that the update 'may' wipe out any calibration offset measurements previously made. And it's one less thing that could be wrong if there were any problems.
2017-8-27
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-27 07:12
If you are buying the P4 pro then there will be similar references in There. Some are covered by instructional videos:-

For IMU calibration DJI Go 4 guides you through the steps needed. The process for calibrating the IMU changed for the P4, bringing it into line with the process' used in the Mavic, P4 Pro & P4 Advanced.
Aardvark
As always very helpful, thank you

A couple of notes, there is nothing in v1.2 about those three areas I noted, they refer to them but absolutely no detail to speak of.  That is why I was searching and asking you for help.  Agreed that page you pointed out has a lot of info, going through it now, but did not think to look there for the technical info I need.  That's part of my problem here, in my tiny brain I thought all applicable information would always and at least be in the manual.  Except for recent updates, but then a new version should be released with those updates, or not until they can be released together.  ...but what do I know.  I'm just one that prefers to read up and educate myself first before just doing things like an IMU calibration, call me stupid, but having some experience with similar equipment it's not something you want to screw up.
Thanks Again!
2017-8-27
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-27 07:18
"FYI - pg 57 of the P4P manual v1.2 states that you should not do a Compass Cal unless the system prompts you to do so."

Exactly, and correctly so. And it's these little bits that can cause confusion in the P4 manual. :-)

So I understand your edit
You do a full calibration, all 5 systems, after a FW update?  Is that just a FW update for the UAV or any related device i.e. RC?
Thanks yet again!
2017-8-27
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-8-27 10:59
So I understand your edit
You do a full calibration, all 5 systems, after a FW update?  Is that just a FW update for the UAV or any related device i.e. RC?
Thanks yet again!

Just UAV, although a joystick calibration wouldn't go amiss after an RC update. But usually RC releases come out at same time as aircraft, so it's covered anyway.
2017-8-27
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-8-27 10:54
AardvarkAs always very helpful, thank you
A couple of notes, there is nothing in v1.2 about those three areas I noted, they refer to them but absolutely no detail to speak of.  That is why I was searching and asking you for help.  Agreed that page you pointed out has a lot of info, going through it now, but did not think to look there for the technical info I need.  That's part of my problem here, in my tiny brain I thought all applicable information would always and at least be in the manual.  Except for recent updates, but then a new version should be released with those updates, or not until they can be released together.  ...but what do I know.  I'm just one that prefers to read up and educate myself first before just doing things like an IMU calibration, call me stupid, but having some experience with similar equipment it's not something you want to screw up.Thanks Again!

" I thought all applicable information would always and at least be in the manual."

And that's how it should be, but unfortunately not in these manuals. They are getting better and might just be very good by the time the last Phantom is produced

A lot of good stuff in their youtube section DJI Tutorials Youtube
2017-8-27
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-27 11:54
Just UAV, although a joystick calibration wouldn't go amiss after an RC update. But usually RC releases come out at same time as aircraft, so it's covered anyway.

Copy All...
I'm getting ready to activate my Drone, I pray it goes well and any updates don't screw me, Lord willing.  I'm assuming that after activation, it will require me to update FW, maybe not.  
So, my question back to you is this; being a brand new out of the box UAV, but doing an update would you still recommend performing all 5 calibrations after activation and updates?
If no updates are required, would you still recommend doing the calibrations?

You are the Best!
2017-8-27
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-8-27 13:12
Copy All...
I'm getting ready to activate my Drone, I pray it goes well and any updates don't screw me, Lord willing.  I'm assuming that after activation, it will require me to update FW, maybe not.  
So, my question back to you is this; being a brand new out of the box UAV, but doing an update would you still recommend performing all 5 calibrations after activation and updates?

"being a brand new out of the box UAV, but doing an update would you still recommend performing all 5 calibrations after activation and updates?"

Personally I would, and then you have peace of mind that is covered, and your first flight experience should be a good one. I've not seen too many complaints on the P4P upgrades,  you could always just calibrate, ignore update messages for a few days or whatever, until you're comfortable with how it all slots together. Or just go for it :-)
I'm sure all will work out fine on the day.
2017-8-27
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

quadpilot Posted at 2017-8-27 15:40
i re-calibrate the compass even if i move 6 ft away from the last home point
is this wrong?

From everything I know about heading calibration and this UAV Compass Calibration, it should only need to be done when error has been introduced in to the system, you have significantly changed geo locations that effects declination, or the system says you need to do so.  
Now based on what I'm reading here and guidance from others you should consider the same line of thought as well.  Meaning, no you don't and should not do a compass cal simply for just moving a mere 6 feet.  In part, you should avoid this practice because each time you do this calibration there is a chance you can introduce error in to the system unintentionally.  
That is what I intend to do: only calibrate when the system says so, or I change geo location significantly (i.e. several hundred miles at least) or as Aardvark recommends after a FW update.  Continue to watch for updated technical guidance from DJI in case they  determine something different.
2017-8-27
Use props
Seanmcfc
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I have started something here Guys, lol
2017-8-30
Use props
fansfb99b3ba
New
Flight distance : 5220 ft

United Kingdom

Hi all Iam new here! I ve just been reading and I will also take all your advice and not play around with calibration unless it pops up to do. This was a question I wanted to ask.  :-).  Lee
2017-9-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules