Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
ArgTek Weak Controller Signal
2580 17 2017-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansef854c89
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1579888 ft
Germany

So, I bought a Phantom 3 Standard and flew around a bit. Then, to get better range, I bought a windsurfer that worked nicely. It increased the range by about 1.5x and then the controller signal would still be good but the image signal would be gone. To get even more range, I bought the ArgTek antenna upgrade for the controller. The image signal is great now and has lots of range, but the controller signal is behacing weirdly. Firstly it seems to have a lower range now than the stock antenna with the windsurfer, and secondly it gets stronger and weaker . Sometimes, it will go from 3-4 bars to one bar or signal lost. Also, it changes when I change the orientation of the drone.

If anyone here has experience with the ArgTek antenna kit, do you have any idea what could be causing this and how it could be resolved?
I already took apart the controller again and redid all of the connections, I also covered the plugs in hot glue to make them stable.
What else can I do? Are there other 5.8G antennas out there that might work better? Or do I just have one with a bad contact or something?

If anyone can, please help.
2017-8-21
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Make sure the antenna wires have a good, solid connection. They stress that with the instructions.
2017-8-21
Use props
DustMan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 973373 ft
United States

ALFA panel antennas are the upgrade to Argtek antennas
2017-8-22
Use props
fansef854c89
lvl.3
Germany

Thanks for your replies, guys, but I figured out my issue, and yeah, it is a bad connection.
But this bad connection is not on the plug or the antennna, it is inside the Argtek plastic thing that goes onto the controller. When I encounter my issue, I literally have to shake the controller once and it will go away.
Kinda sucks, but works.
2017-10-13
Use props
sSunSets
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311089 ft
United States

Thanks for the post. good info 4 me. Was thinking of the same up-grade next year for my P3S.
2017-10-13
Use props
Nelsonlee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2779203 ft
  • >>>
Malaysia

fansef854c89 Posted at 2017-10-13 06:25
Thanks for your replies, guys, but I figured out my issue, and yeah, it is a bad connection.
But this bad connection is not on the plug or the antennna, it is inside the Argtek plastic thing that goes onto the controller. When I encounter my issue, I literally have to shake the controller once and it will go away.
Kinda sucks, but works.

If you have issues kindly email to sales@argtek.com and they will following up your case.
2017-10-13
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

One of the issues I had with the Argtek connectors on the 'bridge' ... the plastic is just that little bit thick and the antenna needs to be tightened down to make sure connection is 100%. If you fit any other antenna or booster - I had to grind back the antenna screw barrel approx. 0.1mm to make sure it seated fully home. The threaded connector exiting the plastic is just that touch short.

One test I made was to glue two Windsurfers together and then fit to the Argtek centre antenna ... WOW !! I had over 4500m range then ...

Nigel
2017-10-13
Use props
Epicdoom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340620 ft
United States

there is another known issue with the argtek take a look at the picture I posted its from my DBS but the connection is the same. see the center pin, it should be even with the top of the rim or slightly above it as in the picture. some have been found to be below it some by a decent amount and it weakens the connection between the connectors. if yours are below the top rim you can carefully file that top rim down, do not go so far as to damage the threads if it looks like you will have to file that far I suggest just sending it back for a new one [img]https://forum11.djicdn.com/data/attachment/forum/%5BURL=http://s1007.photobucket.com/user/epicdoom/media/20170913_213640_zpsfkh7am0f.jpg.html%5D[/URL][/img]
2017-10-14
Use props
KEM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 151191 ft
United States

I'm having the same problem but my connections are tight. Did you remove the stock antennas from the inside?
2017-10-14
Use props
fansef854c89
lvl.3
Germany

Epicdoom, I checked, it's just fine, the center pin slightly sticks out. It probably really is a bad contact. I also want to point out that shaking the controller just once does reliably fix it (for a certain amount of time or until I accidentally shake it the wrong way).

KEM, I left them in there, but they aren't connected. Additionally, those are the 2.4 GHz antennas, I really don't see any way they could influence the 5.8 GHz antenna.
2017-10-16
Use props
tonydiato
lvl.1
Flight distance : 25994 ft

United States

I just got an ARTEK antenna for my DJI phantom  3 advanced. I also get a poor connection when BOTH antennas are connected. When one antenna is connectrect it works, but limited in distance the drone can go. Anyone have this problem?
2018-8-27
Use props
djordan2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 79291 ft

I did not have any luck with the ARtek antenna system on my P3S.  It did little to increase my range.  So I removed them and stored them on a shelf.  Waste of money for me. After a minor crash, I sent the drone to DJI for evaluation.  They actually sent me a different drone.  Now, right out of the box, I'm getting 6,500 feet and loving it.
2018-8-28
Use props
fans51d8ccb3
New

United States

solentlife Posted at 2017-10-13 11:26
One of the issues I had with the Argtek connectors on the 'bridge' ... the plastic is just that little bit thick and the antenna needs to be tightened down to make sure connection is 100%. If you fit any other antenna or booster - I had to grind back the antenna screw barrel approx. 0.1mm to make sure it seated fully home. The threaded connector exiting the plastic is just that touch short.

One test I made was to glue two Windsurfers together and then fit to the Argtek centre antenna ... WOW !! I had over 4500m range then ...
I got poor range with ARGtex.

Do you mind send me some photo of where and how you file it down to make 100% connection? Kynhan2009@gmail.com.

I appriciate it!
2019-2-9
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

I would but DJI are not allowing the post
2019-2-10
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

you can always put TWO reflectors together on that central stick antenna ...
2019-2-10
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

Works very well
2019-2-10
Use props
North pilot Ramai
lvl.1
Sweden

fansef854c89 Posted at 2017-10-13 06:25
But this bad connection is not on the plug or the antennna, it is inside the Argtek plastic thing that goes onto the controller. When I encounter my issue, I literally have to shake the controller once and it will go away.
Kinda sucks, but works.

Have you fixed the problem?
If you have, what distance and hight can you get them?
2019-2-28
Use props
North pilot Ramai
lvl.1
Sweden

solentlife Posted at 2017-10-13 11:26
One of the issues I had with the Argtek connectors on the 'bridge' ... the plastic is just that little bit thick and the antenna needs to be tightened down to make sure connection is 100%. If you fit any other antenna or booster - I had to grind back the antenna screw barrel approx. 0.1mm to make sure it seated fully home. The threaded connector exiting the plastic is just that touch short.

Were Is the place where it can be weak contact?
how does one do to fix it?
2019-2-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules