Home point
2777 22 2017-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
StoyanK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68963 ft
Bulgaria

Hi, I took my new P3SE for the first flight yestarday. Since i am not very experience "pilot" i was flying not that far from my position (120m high and about 300m away) First, in my flight data on the DJI GO APP (android version-latest) from that same day there is no greater distance than 87m !!! How is this possible? Second: DJi app crashed when my P3 was in mid air. After i restarted the app and it connected to the craft a heard the voice from DJi GO saying: "Home point has been updated" Updated where???? In mid air 120m above the ground.....? Sounded very scary for a first flight.
I wonder if i was to engage RTH after that what would have happend......
Someone had this problem?
Thanks,

2017-8-21
Use props
WD9EON
lvl.4
Flight distance : 686886 ft
United States

I'd say for a new pilot you were very lucky.  
2017-8-21
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

Sounds like the display device is not able to handle the workload. Maybe turn off video caching in the DJI app and kill all those unnecessary apps that may be running in the background.
2017-8-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Despite what you heard, the home point would not have been changed.
Home point is not set by the controller or your phone/tablet.
Homepoint is set by the Phantom when it is powered on and gets GPS.
In your situation the Phantom kept running and would have kept the same homepoint.
You can confirm this from the flight record data.
2017-8-21
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I would recommend you to place the antenna properly according to the tutorial video. Also, please change to another location with good GPS to check the Home Point.

2017-8-21
Use props
Daveb500
lvl.3
Flight distance : 191742 ft
United Kingdom

It all sounds to be android device issues, when the app crashes and you restart whilst in the air, the telemetry has to catch up.  The distance you talk about again could be due to device overload.
I had similar issues when my device crashed. I now don't use that device, I have upgraded to a newer tablet, and only use that tablet for the drone to make sure nothing else is running in the background.
There os seem to be issues with android, but I will not move to Ios. I would make sure you device is on the list, and cleared of other running apps, also its upto date.
As stated RTH is in the drone not the display device so don't worry too much.
For a beginner I would learn to fly by sight first, only use the app as a guide, then when it fails you have the experience to be able to bring it home safely.
2017-8-21
Use props
StoyanK
lvl.2
Bulgaria

Thank you all for your replies! I am paying attention all the time to the antenna position as i have red many pages about flying  drones, and also i have flown drones before, but not like the Phantoms, and without GPS. All the background apps are killed before i start the DJI GO, and the video caching is turned off. I even turn off the Bluetooth connection, just in case..... If what Labroides said is correct, than next time it happens i will press RTH to make sure that it is not affecting my starting (home) point.  What about the distance that is shown on the flight data page inside the DJI GO app. How correct is it, cos i am 100% sure i flew more than 87m away from starting point.
2017-8-21
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

Stoyan,
you can reset the new home point if you need to restart the app in mid flight,if you checked the current home point after restarting app.
What version of the Go App is it?
2017-8-21
Use props
StoyanK
lvl.2
Bulgaria

Peterx Posted at 2017-8-21 23:25
Stoyan,
you can reset the new home point if you need to restart the app in mid flight,if you checked the current home point after restarting app.
What version of the Go App is it?

Hi, i am not sure i understand what do you mean by resetting the home point in mid air. My DJI GO app i version 3.1.10 I think it` s the latest now.
2017-8-22
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Germany

The latest version is the 3.1.10. in the lower right corner you can set home point  over the copters  GPS only or over mobiles GPS (pilot).
2017-8-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

StoyanK Posted at 2017-8-22 06:01
Hi, i am not sure i understand what do you mean by resetting the home point in mid air. My DJI GO app i version 3.1.10 I think it` s the latest now.

You can reset the home point but there are very few situations where you would want to.
2017-8-22
Use props
Tom24nh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 174239 ft
United States

home point is set from your Phantom when you power it up, you can fly it without the app.
2017-8-22
Use props
StoyanK
lvl.2
Bulgaria

Thanks for the replies! Which home point are you using. There are two options to choose from. As i understand one is where the aircraft took off and the other is where you at.
2017-8-23
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

StoyanK Posted at 2017-8-23 00:07
Thanks for the replies! Which home point are you using. There are two options to choose from. As i understand one is where the aircraft took off and the other is where you at.

Forget about resetting the home point - you don't need to.
Your Phantom will record its home point all by itself when it gets GPS reception.
Don't mess around with changing it.
2017-8-23
Use props
StoyanK
lvl.2
Bulgaria

Labroides Posted at 2017-8-23 03:19
Forget about resetting the home point - you don't need to.
Your Phantom will record its home point all by itself when it gets GPS reception.
Don't mess around with changing it.

Yes i know, but you can choose between RTH where it took off and  RTH to where you standing at at the moment you press the RTH button. Maybe my question in my previous message was not clear enough, sorry.  
2017-8-23
Use props
djordan2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 79291 ft
United States

StoyanK Posted at 2017-8-23 00:07

I have had to use both at times.  I sometimes practice landing and shutting the engines off at around 1,000 feet away.  When I re-start the engines to take off, the Pro will reset the home point to that point.  So I will go into the App and change the HP to where I am standing.
2017-8-23
Use props
StoyanK
lvl.2
Bulgaria

djordan2 Posted at 2017-8-23 06:06
I have had to use both at times.  I sometimes practice landing and shutting the engines off at around 1,000 feet away.  When I re-start the engines to take off, the Pro will reset the home point to that point.  So I will go into the App and change the HP to where I am standing.

Good point!!! never thought of that, Thanks!
2017-8-23
Use props
djordan2
lvl.4
United States

StoyanK Posted at 2017-8-23 11:48
Good point!!! never thought of that, Thanks!

I found that out the hard way.  One day I was practicing landing at distance.  I think it was around 1,300 feet south of me.  I landed by camera on a dirt road just for the heck of it.  When I restarted the engines and took off, I didn't hear the lady say, "Home point recorded, check it on the map".  I went back up to altitude and flew a good distance to the West.  Then, after a while, I got the "Low Battery" warning.  So I hit the RTH button and sat the RC unit down on my truck tailgate.  I waited and waited and waited, but the Pro did not come home.  I was trying to figure out what was going on, when I suddenly heard the lady say, "Landing".  WHAT???  I then grabbed the RC unit and looked at the camera view.  Pointing the camera straight down, I realized that I was landing on the dirt road that I took off from.  I cancelled the Landing and brought it home manually.  Live and learn!
2017-8-23
Use props
sSunSetter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 311089 ft
United States

Thanks for all the info, and the tutorial video.
2017-8-23
Use props
StoyanK
lvl.2
Bulgaria

djordan2 Posted at 2017-8-23 13:23
I found that out the hard way.  One day I was practicing landing at distance.  I think it was around 1,300 feet south of me.  I landed by camera on a dirt road just for the heck of it.  When I restarted the engines and took off, I didn't hear the lady say, "Home point recorded, check it on the map".  I went back up to altitude and flew a good distance to the West.  Then, after a while, I got the "Low Battery" warning.  So I hit the RTH button and sat the RC unit down on my truck tailgate.  I waited and waited and waited, but the Pro did not come home.  I was trying to figure out what was going on, when I suddenly heard the lady say, "Landing".  WHAT???  I then grabbed the RC unit and looked at the camera view.  Pointing the camera straight down, I realized that I was landing on the dirt road that I took off from.  I cancelled the Landing and brought it home manually.  Live and learn!

wow.... that`s a risky way to learn  :-))) Good thing you heard the lady!
2017-8-24
Use props
djordan2
lvl.4
United States

StoyanK Posted at 2017-8-24 05:34
wow.... that`s a risky way to learn  :-))) Good thing you heard the lady!

Ya...me and her got a thing going now!
2017-8-24
Use props
StoyanK
lvl.2
Bulgaria

djordan2 Posted at 2017-8-24 06:22
Ya...me and her got a thing going now!

2017-8-24
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Germany

djordan2 Posted at 2017-8-23 06:06

....to the pilots place as i said.
2017-8-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules