Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spark much colder after last FW update - If yours too, tell us!
1807 24 2017-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
STech - Hathder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459094 ft
Brazil

Update .600 went very fine though WIFI - no problems.

Made a test flight indoor, everything was perfect! Need to test outdoor as soon as possible.

One thing i notice: My spark is MUCH MORE COLDER AFTER FLIGHT THAN IT WAS BEFORE UPDATE, the top of spark are always warm (not hot to touch) before the update, and now its cold. (I am realy sure about this, i always put my hand to felt how warm it was after a flight or when are IDLE since i bought it.)

Anybody notice that too?

2017-8-21
Use props
jyc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2255846 ft
Canada

Mine seems to run cooler also.
2017-8-21
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Ok, I will check later today!
2017-8-21
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

I don't think that the warmth of the battery is bad. The moderate rising of the temperature of every aircraft model. The one with video tramsmission get warmer than the one without. On the contrary, you should be worried if it would not getting warm. Because it is abnormal. Why? Because video encoding and transmitting requires cpu power to do so. Zenmuse X4s get heated after 4k video recording for a while. If Spark should getting colder it is consuming less power which means the video quality or range may be downgraded.
2017-8-21
Use props
OneMatt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 155984 ft
Canada

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-8-21 19:59
I don't think that the warmth of the battery is bad. The moderate rising of the temperature of every aircraft model. The one with video tramsmission get warmer than the one without. On the contrary, you should be worried if it would not getting warm. Because it is abnormal. Why? Because video encoding and transmitting requires cpu power to do so. Zenmuse X4s get heated after 4k video recording for a while. If Spark should getting colder it is consuming less power which means the video quality or range may be downgraded.

the OP wasnt talking about battery heat, but heat on top of the Spark.

And your logic is flawed. You ALWAYS want your CPU to run cooler, for better efficiency. The Spark isnt encoding very high bitrate video to begin with, no reason it cant do that without heating up.

I hope it is cooler, as it has been suggested that excess heat may be a factor of the compass errors and flyaway.
2017-8-21
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-8-21 19:59

uhm?  what?  always better if its running more efficiently.   if you are able to do exact same image processing with less overhead its always better.    as an example, my Dell XPS 15 i had a intel driver update for the skylake iGPU which pretty much killed all thermal throttling i had when watching 4K in youtube.. which was a legit issue i had, my iGPU was throttling down to 650mhz after a few moments..  now it locks to 1.1Ghz on the iGPU and my fan either running much slower or does not turn on now under so loads i dont hear it and it runs 4K vp9 decoding no problem.   

now i just hope Nvidia updates the 960M driver in my laptop, because once they kicks in the fan ramps up, still quiet but just loud enough to hear and is annoying if not playing music or something.

2017-8-21
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Well it is up to you to believe or not. I just tell you from what I have seen in every DJi aircraft model. It is not what I want. Just FYI
2017-8-21
Use props
QuanthonyTrang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419980 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Depends what is hot. Hot CPU =  bad. Hot Heatsink = Good. Hot heatsink means its dissipating the heat.
2017-8-21
Use props
Ace Flysome
lvl.1
Flight distance : 37671 ft
United States

I think mine might be running cooler, but i will have to check.  I'll be back with an update when i get a chance.
2017-8-24
Use props
djmodifyd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26729 ft
United States

mine is MUCH cooler....but its also a bit cooler outside as well.  
2017-8-24
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

ya you want a cool running CPU, the cooler the better..  the spark is choking for better airflow so its fantastic if DJi has increased its efficiency so its not struggling to keep up with the heat its dumping into the heatsink..  

also cooler cpu = cooler heatsink  the amount of heat being dumped into the heatsink is less.. so less for heat sink to soak up.    the heatsink DJi used n the spark is relatively poor quality, low fin count, low fin density, solid milled aluminium and painted with thicker glossy paint.
2017-8-24
Use props
fans7c84aafd
lvl.1
Flight distance : 98665 ft
United States

My spark is running noticeably cooler.  I normally worry about putting it back in its case after flying but now its just warm instead of hot.
2017-8-24
Use props
Sparkylicious
lvl.3
Flight distance : 72306 ft
United States

Mine stayed the same. Hot but not burning. I too, let it cool down a bit before tucking it away on its foam case.
2017-8-24
Use props
LOKY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22359 ft
United States

Cooler here also, the bird and the batteries.
2017-8-24
Use props
lafoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1402680 ft
Portugal

Yes!... Mine is running cooler also... And battery last +1 to 2min more in average!!!!
2017-8-24
Use props
Enri
lvl.4
Flight distance : 683501 ft
Italy

I live in a pretty hot region, and Sparky was running very close to maximum operating temperature limit.
After last firmware it is colder.
And this is just good..... without if and but!
2017-8-24
Use props
Spookymike
lvl.4
Germany

Yes, i have noticed that too. Unbelievable what software can do
2017-8-25
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 922569 ft
France

Spookymike Posted at 2017-8-25 22:46
Yes, i have noticed that too. Unbelievable what software can do

Very believable what software can do... If running close to 100% CPU because there is a stuck/buggy ded process or infinite loop in a thread somewhere, then CPU will heat a lot... maybe even overheat and lead to CPU thermal protection shutdown.

I guess they have been solving this kind of bug + taking margin on the fan speed policies + maybe optimized and decrased the frequency of a a few loops in the software to reduce CPU load and voilà...

The flight time has not changed a lot, but CPU vs engine consumption ratio is so low that even a 100% stuck CPU does not play a heavy role...
2017-8-26
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

My unscientific observations is cooler.  I wondered if this would have lengthened the battery life (less energy producing heat, more for flying), but someone smart and wise pointed out that the energy might be spent on using the fan more aggressively, which might shorten the battery life (but keep things running properly).  My flight time is still around the 9-10 minute mark, so hard for me to tell.
2017-8-26
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 922569 ft
France

And ratio of engine used energy to cpu used energy is high (see how long it takes to drain batterie just by powering on + RC link) so if there is a global decrease on consumption it will be very low.
2017-8-26
Use props
JMR58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 627966 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Top of Spark really hot after a 12min "standby" hovering,  just hovering and trying different settings in the App.
Temperature after a regular flight stays normal, not hot, so i think Spark is using the winds during flight to cool down.
2017-8-26
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Noticed that batteries are running cooler after a run.
2017-8-26
Use props
gezzer300
Second Officer
Flight distance : 697851 ft
United States

Mine also seems to run cooler.  I have only got to fly once since the update but, yes.
2017-8-26
Use props
ernieken
lvl.4
Flight distance : 547641 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

I made a thermal image before and after the flight yesterday. It was quite hot (about 27°C). Unfortunately, i didn't made a thermal image with the old firmware, so this picture are all taken with the latest firmware (1.6).
Before:

before flying

before flying

After:

after flying

after flying

2017-8-29
Use props
flyingspark
lvl.3
Flight distance : 496545 ft
Netherlands

Mine runs also way cooler after 3 flights with 3 different batteries (just a couple of minutes between them).
2017-8-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules