2107 15 2015-3-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jon.rauschenber
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3760 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm looking for a unit that I can learn to fly with to help prepare to fly an Inspire properly/well in ATTI mode.

Are there some specific models in the sub-$300 price range that would let me learn how to fly well without putting $3,000 at risk by practicing with the Inspire?

Thanks,
jon
2015-3-29
Use props
nilsblix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23047543 ft
  • >>>
Spain

I learn ( every day ) on a Hubsan X4
2015-3-29
Use props
Fred D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56184 ft
Canada

Syma X5C-1 under $100.00 on Amazon. Fast Agile and Stable, I fly it almost every day.
2015-3-29
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
Australia

Fred D Posted at 2015-3-30 05:50
Syma X5C-1 under $100.00 on Amazon. Fast Agile and Stable, I fly it almost every day.

Yep, Syma X5c has been brilliant - lots of fun for not very much $$.
Almost indestructible - and parts are very very cheap.
2015-3-29
Use props
Fred D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 56184 ft
Canada

I've bounced mine off the barn roof a few times, and it's sent more then one night in the tree waiting for a good wind to blow it free. And it keeps on flying, currently waiting for new motors, It's a great little trainer quad.
2015-3-29
Use props
Morrisson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20710033 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hey Jon!

I suggest the Hubsan X4. I purchased one from B&H and try to fly everyday...EVEN if I'm flying the Inspire as well. It's just crazy and REALLY drills you with handling a psychotic flight situation.
2015-3-29
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

The best way to start out is two fold...You can get a Real Flight 7.5 Simulator that comes with a Futaba controller and it has lots of UAVs to practice on including GPS mode Atti mode with wind conditions...The next thing would be to buy a Blade Nano Quad...It is an amazing little quad meant to fly indoors and and gives you lots of stick time and bounces off walls without much damage to the walls or the quad...Not a bad package for around $300.00 for both...Both should be readily available at your local hobbyshop...
2015-3-29
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Just get a Phnatom 2, slap on a GoPro and it will do for a backup.
2015-3-31
Use props
ElliotTeskey
lvl.2

Canada

Jon....I agree with Wildcat Willie above.  I have both and they are excellent to learn to fly on.  If you can fly a Blade Nano QX well then the Inspire is a piece of cake.  Don't forget the simulator in the Pilot app.  You can set it on Atti mode and then set the wind to 10 mph....good practice.
2015-3-31
Use props
Rbimd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 407710 ft
United States

Ethos QX 130 is a wonderful trainer for about $100. It is very crash worthy (I know!) It also has some really fun low cost accessories , bubble maker, squirt gun, plastic missile launcher, and winch with rescue basket
2015-4-6
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

If you master to fly a hubsanx4 in tight corners inside flying the inspire 1 will be like a walk in the park ...

It's all about getting the "muscle memory" and not having to think when you end up "nose in"

My advice ... Go with something you can fly inside for practise purpose ... And learn how to compensate for wind in the simulator ...
2015-4-6
Use props
jon.rauschenber
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3760 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for all of the feedback/suggestions.  I ended up going with both a Blade Nano QX and a Storm Drone 4.

Both are great - the Storm in particular has been a big help in getting more comfortable flying outside and developing muscle memory on the controls.  It's a bit pricier than some of the other options listed here, but it's also quite a bit more powerful and feels closer to the Inspire in terms of speed/responsiveness.

I did manage the break one of the arms on the Storm this weekend...but it's a $3.50 part and simple to replace, perfect for a trainer!

http://www.helipal.com/storm-drone-4-flying-platform-v2.html
2015-4-6
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

Things are starting to add upp ...
2015-4-6
Use props
CorySmeeler88
New

United States

This article has good list of drones in the sub-$500 range. I would maybe start out with a really cheap mini drone, then when you get comfortable with the controls make a jump up the Phantom 3 Standard or higher. The prices of the higher-end models are getting so low now that you might as well use them to build your skills as well.
2016-11-14
Use props
Donnie
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

CorySmeeler88 Posted at 2016-11-14 16:13
This article has good list of drones in the sub-$500 range. I would maybe start out with a really ch ...

Cory , I appreciate you chiming in but just remember some of these post  questions you may be answering are over a year old and some of the Members on this thread are no longer active .  I just wanted to let you know as I did this in the beginning  as well till some kind hearted  soul  alerted me as well.

Just dont want you to  answer or ask a question on an old thread and than not have your inquiry followed up on , thats all.

Cheers -

donnie
2016-11-15
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Donnie Posted at 2016-11-15 13:35
Cory , I appreciate you chiming in but just remember some of these post  questions you may be answ ...

Posts like this can still be useful to some Donnie. As it happens, this one has now taken ten minutes of my life that I will never get back.

Mark G.
2016-11-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules