Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha,

Sorry for putting my bummer out there, but I came home to my laptop and nVidia Shield K1 stolen from my dining room.  They no longer sell the nVidia Shield K1 so I have to get a new tablet with the insurance money.  Since the K1 sold for only $200, but was way under-priced, and now it is not sold any more, what is the value of my lost tablet?  The K1 was comparable to $400+ tablets for us drone pilots.  

So this thread has two questions;
1.  How do replacement values work in insurance cases?

2.  Does anyone have a comparable tablet in mind now that the nVidia Shield K1 is not longer sold?  But, how do you replace a 1080p HDMI socket on tablet!  Awww Bummmer!!!!

And CentralOtagoKiwi just noted that the Nougat problem has been solved!  Sorry, I have to go lick my wounds.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-21
Use props
T-R
lvl.4
Flight distance : 287884 ft
China

Try to reach a Chines on,nine platform. Herder they sell it big time.   2199 RMB (Chines currency )  
2017-8-22
Use props
CentralOtagoKiw
lvl.3
Flight distance : 170988 ft
New Zealand

That's awful, sorry to hear of your misfortune! Not to rub salt into your wounds, but I have been doing more flying to narrow down the 4k reset problem, and the K1 and DJI Go still play nicely together, with not one app crash.
2017-8-22
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Oh man that sucks! I also love my Nvidia. I wasn't aware they were no longer available. I would think you may be able to purchase a good used one on Ebay, but that doesn't answer your question abaout a new replacement. Don't know where you are located exactly, but here in Iowa if you have replacement insurance, they will replace with something of equal value....not necessarily the $200, but I would say you need something comparable as far as the specs go. Processor speed, memory etc. You know what is required. If the insurance has to fork out $400-$600 for something to replace your Nvidia that is just on them. I mean you can't help it if that device is no longer made, but like you said, there are other devices, just much more money. Sorry to hear abut your misfortune. Hope you can get it replaced without any out of pocket money.
2017-8-22
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

T-R Posted at 2017-8-22 02:02
Try to reach a Chines on,nine platform. Herder they sell it big time.   2199 RMB (Chines currency )

Aloha T-R,

Mahalo for the offer of assistance.  I am going to have to look at the conversion rate for that 2199 RMB.  Big numbers make me nervous.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-22
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

CentralOtagoKiw Posted at 2017-8-22 02:55
That's awful, sorry to hear of your misfortune! Not to rub salt into your wounds, but I have been doing more flying to narrow down the 4k reset problem, and the K1 and DJI Go still play nicely together, with not one app crash.

Aloha COK,

Still, it is nice to hear!  I think I noted that my problems were from app creep.  I could not believe how many apps were interfering with operations.  I may have a source for a new one.  I am still investigating.

Mahalo for the help!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-22
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-8-22 04:20
Oh man that sucks! I also love my Nvidia. I wasn't aware they were no longer available. I would think you may be able to purchase a good used one on Ebay, but that doesn't answer your question abaout a new replacement. Don't know where you are located exactly, but here in Iowa if you have replacement insurance, they will replace with something of equal value....not necessarily the $200, but I would say you need something comparable as far as the specs go. Processor speed, memory etc. You know what is required. If the insurance has to fork out $400-$600 for something to replace your Nvidia that is just on them. I mean you can't help it if that device is no longer made, but like you said, there are other devices, just much more money. Sorry to hear abut your misfortune. Hope you can get it replaced without any out of pocket money.

Aloha Ricardo,

Mahalo for the information.  I am looking into that right now.  Nice to see my interpretation is the same as yours but what does my insurance company think!  Well, better give them a call.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-22
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-8-22 16:55
As far as a replacement Shields are fetching a premium price on the used tablet market.  Not sure of anything else that offers HDMI out either.  As a replacement consider one of the Asus ZenPad, 8, S8, 10, or 3S 10.

Aloha DB,

Mahalo for the information!  Oddly enough the new laptop that was stolen was an ASUS.  Is this list, Asus ZenPad, 8, S8, 10, or 3S 10, all ASUS or are some of those Samsung, etc?  My friend still has to get a tablet for his company and wanted to get an nVidia Shield K1.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-22
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-8-22 16:55
As far as a replacement Shields are fetching a premium price on the used tablet market.  Not sure of anything else that offers HDMI out either.  As a replacement consider one of the Asus ZenPad, 8, S8, 10, or 3S 10.

Aloha DB,

Mahalo again!  I looked into the ASUS ZenPad 3S 10 and it is quite nice, real good specs.  Do you know anyone flying that device?  I did not realize how many of the tablets are flying nVidia processors for CPU and GPU.  That alone was eye-opening.

Mahalo again for the help!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-22
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-8-23 19:56
I have all of the Asus models I mentioned, plus a C 7.0 (too laggy with only 1GB RAM).  The 3S 10 is really nice.  Very fast, smooth, great screen, & at $279 it's a great deal compared to the comparable iPad. Fits nicely in the stock Phantom tablet holder too.  Surprised by this but I think the ZenPads with the Mediatek processors (ZenPad 10 & S3 10) seem to perform better than those with the Intel processors like the 8 & S8.  i would need to test more for a definitive conclusion.

Aloha DB,

This is good information.  I checked into the 3S 10 and sent a recommendation to my friend.  He likes the specs and will pass the recommendation on.  He especially likes the larger screen as do I.

Wow!  $600, that is plenty money!  I mentioned $300-$400 to the insurance claims recorder but will have to talk to the adjuster tomorrow.  Regarding the nVidia Shield K1 follow on, I came across and skimmed some real interesting articles on what happened, what is out now and what is due out.  Things sound like they will be getting real interesting even with the nVidia "Do not Compete" clause.  I am amazed how many tablets have  so much of nVidia processing in them for CPU and GPU.

But your comments on the 3S 10 are really useful.  If it were not for the K1 HDMI port, I would probably buy one for myself.  The 3S 10 does have the USB C port though and that is scheduled to compete with HDMI for display alternatives.  Hmm.

Mahalo for the information!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-23
Use props
CentralOtagoKiw
lvl.3
New Zealand

http://www.trademe.co.nz/compute ... tion-1400493983.htm
I could grab this and send it to you. Guessing it would be about $US320 delivered
2017-8-24
Use props
Toorboy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 657382 ft
United Kingdom

sorry to hear about your bad news there Cetacean shocking stuff
I hope you get things worked out buddy.
2017-8-24
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Toorboy Posted at 2017-8-24 01:14
sorry to hear about your bad news there Cetacean shocking stuff
I hope you get things worked out buddy.

Aloha Toorboy,

Well, it has been a learning experience to say the least.  Now that the nVidia Shield K1 is no longer sold, I am learning about replacements and they are very interesting.

Mahalo for the kind words!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-24
Use props
CentralOtagoKiw
lvl.3
New Zealand

Cetacean Posted at 2017-8-24 01:50
Aloha Toorboy,

Well, it has been a learning experience to say the least.  Now that the nVidia Shield K1 is no longer sold, I am learning about replacements and they are very interesting.

Did you see my message? I bought the K1, new unopened condition. Would be happy to send it to you, am just as happy to keep it myself. Your call.
2017-8-24
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

CentralOtagoKiw Posted at 2017-8-24 00:25
http://www.trademe.co.nz/compute ... tion-1400493983.htm
I could grab this and send it to you. Guessing it would be about $US320 delivered

Aloha COK,

Mahalo for the offer.  Right now I am working on one and may have a confirmation soon.  Then it will be party time or maybe that should be after the first flight!  If it is a go, I will post it here.

Mahalo again!  Got to move fast though, the price on the K1 is going out the roof.  Dirty Bird said he saw $600 for one the other day, so yours is still very reasonable.  Good to see there are still some out there!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-24
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

CentralOtagoKiw Posted at 2017-8-24 02:09
Did you see my message? I bought the K1, new unopened condition. Would be happy to send it to you, am just as happy to keep it myself. Your call.

Aloha COK,

Apparently not fast enough!  Look above this post.  It is the other response.  Mahalo for the offer!  Weird time frame on these posts.  We call it, "I stay coming, you stay going!"

BTW, it looks like I might be getting shipped to in the morning.  I will post when I get the confirmation!

Mahalo again for the offer!  

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-24
Use props
CentralOtagoKiw
lvl.3
New Zealand

Cetacean Posted at 2017-8-24 02:29
Aloha COK,

Apparently not fast enough!  Look above this post.  It is the other response.  Mahalo for the offer!  Weird time frame on these posts.  We call it, "I stay coming, you stay going!"

All good, I'm glad you're sorted. I'm happy to have two....now I just need a shiny Phantom 5 to go with my new tablet!
2017-8-24
Use props
T-R
lvl.4
China

Cetacean Posted at 2017-8-22 16:47
Aloha T-R,

Mahalo for the offer of assistance.  I am going to have to look at the conversion rate for that 2199 RMB.  Big numbers make me nervous.

Did you made the conversion to Euro? Ruffle divided by 8
2017-8-28
Use props
T-R
lvl.4
China

Cetacean Posted at 2017-8-22 16:47
Aloha T-R,

2017-8-28
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

T-R Posted at 2017-8-28 17:03

Aloha T-R,

Sorry, I took the easy way out.  It is in the mail to  me now.  Mahalo for the help!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules