What's in/on the NCore? Lightbridge, IMU, Compass, etc?
1502 3 2017-8-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
skyranger
New
Flight distance : 379649 ft
United States

[size=14.6667px]Hi folks...[size=14.6667px]Trying to create a simple block diagram of the Inspire flight control system for a drone class and ID some of the key components photographically.
[size=14.6667px]Might also be of some use to other readers here struggling to understand inner workings of their machines.
[size=14.6667px]Most DJI literature/manuals just refer to "sensors"...and have occasional references to gyros and accelerometers...with no mention of where things like the IMU are and what talks to what.[size=14.6667px]As a manned aircraft pilot, I also like to understand, as best I can, exactly how my aircraft functions...where all the parts are.
[size=14.6667px]I read the Inspire 1 flight controller is based on the A2...and read up on that.[size=14.6667px]Is the Inspire 1 IMU a card with components attached to it and mounted inside the NCore module?
[size=14.6667px]NCore contains both the IMU and Lightbridge?
[size=14.6667px]In diagramming data flow and analysis for flight control on the Inspire 1, I am curious if the only accelerometer(s) and gyroscope(s) on the Inspire are in the IMU itself or if there are others.
[size=14.6667px]I see DJI Wiki site says that IMU contains "3-axis accelerometer, a 3-axis angular velocity meter and a barometric altimeter".
[size=14.6667px]I assume the "angular velocity meter" is a gyro?
[size=14.6667px]I read in other MEMS references there are usually 3 perpendicularly mounted accelerometers and 3 gyros to provide info on the orientation and motion.
[size=14.6667px]Is that the case with the DJI IMU...when they say "an" accelerometer and a gyro, does that actually mean that inside these (since they are 3-axis) there are 3 perpendicularly oriented accelerometers and gyros?
[size=14.6667px]I am assuming there is only one magnetometer (compass) and that is the primary one on the forward extension of the NCore?
[size=14.6667px]I also saw a reference in another forum that data from the magnetometer is compared to the heading data generated by the GPS and that's why it's important to calibrate the compass properly and without interference from nearby metal, etc.
[size=14.6667px]That writer said failure to calibrate compass was number 1 reason for fly-aways...[size=14.6667px]"When the compass data is out/skewed it causes a conflict with the GPS in calculating true/magnetic North. This conflicting information is constantly at odds with what the GPS is seeing as North and the flight controller will try and correct the position of the aircraft causing what is commonly known as The Toilet Bowl Effect or 'TBE'"[size=14.6667px].
[size=14.6667px]Appreciate insight from folks in the know on the locations/functions of Inspire 1 flight control components in the NCore and elsewhere.

[size=14.6667px]Thanks!

2017-8-21
Use props
skyranger
New
Flight distance : 379649 ft
United States

Hi folks...
Trying to create a simple block diagram of the Inspire flight control system for a drone class and ID some of the key components photographically.
Might also be of some use to other readers here struggling to understand inner workings of their machines.
Most DJI literature/manuals just refer to "sensors"...and have occasional references to gyros and accelerometers...with no mention of where things like the IMU are and what talks to what.As a manned aircraft pilot, I also like to understand, as best I can, exactly how my aircraft functions...where all the parts are.
I read the Inspire 1 flight controller is based on the A2...and read up on that.Is the Inspire 1 IMU a card with components attached to it and mounted inside the NCore module?
NCore contains both the IMU and Lightbridge?
In diagramming data flow and analysis for flight control on the Inspire 1, I am curious if the only accelerometer(s) and gyroscope(s) on the Inspire are in the IMU itself or if there are others. 
I see DJI Wiki site says that IMU contains "3-axis accelerometer, a 3-axis angular velocity meter and a barometric altimeter". 
I assume the "angular velocity meter" is a gyro?
I read in other MEMS references there are usually 3 perpendicularly mounted accelerometers and 3 gyros to provide info on the orientation and motion.
Is that the case with the DJI IMU...when they say "an" accelerometer and a gyro, does that actually mean that inside these (since they are 3-axis) there are 3 perpendicularly oriented accelerometers and gyros?
I am assuming there is only one magnetometer (compass) and that is the primary one on the forward extension of the NCore?
I also saw a reference in another forum that data from the magnetometer is compared to the heading data generated by the GPS and that's why it's important to calibrate the compass properly and without interference from nearby metal, etc.
That writer said failure to calibrate compass was number 1 reason for fly-aways..."When the compass data is out/skewed it causes a conflict with the GPS in calculating true/magnetic North. This conflicting information is constantly at odds with what the GPS is seeing as North and the flight controller will try and correct the position of the aircraft causing what is commonly known as The Toilet Bowl Effect or 'TBE'". 
Appreciate insight from folks in the know on the locations/functions of Inspire 1 flight control components in the NCore and elsewhere.

Thanks!
2017-8-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) includes the following components:
Gyroscope: Keeps aircraft steady.
Accelerometer: Measures acceleration.
Compass: Finds direction and provides preference for aircraft attitude stabilization.
Welcome other users to discuss.
2017-8-21
Use props
McCrea
lvl.1
Flight distance : 331358 ft
Canada

Interesting stuff, thank you!
2017-8-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now