Jubilee River
1002 25 2017-8-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jksphoto
Second Officer
Flight distance : 114121 ft
Sweden

Flight over the jubilee river flood relief schem last night. The light was fading hence the noise. But I hopefully have edited it better with less jerkiness through iMovie.
Originally had Led Zepellin as the soundtrack, but it got blocked, so the soundtrack is by YouTube.

Thanks

2017-8-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for sharing.
Nice area to film!
What are your control sensitivity settings?
Some pans / moves are a bit fast indeed.
2017-8-22
Use props
jksphoto
Second Officer
Sweden

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-8-22 03:26
Thanks for sharing.
Nice area to film!
What are your control sensitivity settings?

Thanks, yes, I made a few errors in the flight yesterday. Managed to slow the gimbal down, but was a bit clumsy on the sticks.

All about practice now.
2017-8-22
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Nice scenery! Thanks for sharing. It would be great if the control is more smoothly.
2017-8-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

jksphoto Posted at 2017-8-22 03:51
Thanks, yes, I made a few errors in the flight yesterday. Managed to slow the gimbal down, but was a bit clumsy on the sticks.

All about practice now.

True true, practice is the key I guess.
2017-8-22
Use props
jksphoto
Second Officer
Sweden

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-22 04:00
Nice scenery! Thanks for sharing. It would be great if the control is more smoothly.

Thank you. I'm getting the hang of it. Most of the footage was shot in tripod mode, this I find so useful for the steady shooting.
2017-8-22
Use props
Martin Lines
lvl.4
Flight distance : 19147 ft
United Kingdom

I thought tripod mode was also supposed to smooth both yaw movement and the gimbal movement.

Just down the road from me. You should go just over the other side of the rowing lake and film some boarding at Taplow Board and Ski.

Also interesting to see you have the same "issue" as me in that the ground becomes under exposed when there is a reasonable portion of sky in the shot, I need to play with the exposure settings manually.

Martin (Wokingham)
2017-8-22
Use props
jksphoto
Second Officer
Sweden

Martin Lines Posted at 2017-8-22 04:22
I thought tripod mode was also supposed to smooth both yaw movement and the gimbal movement.

Just down the road from me. You should go just over the other side of the rowing lake and film some boarding at Taplow Board and Ski.

Thanks Martin, I went out after 8 last night, the sky was really flat. I think if there were filters avalible for the spark it would help, kind of like a grad filter on a DSLR.
I have yet to mess around with the camera in manual, not sure why as I have a full understanding of a DSLR and the control's. I just get caught up in the moment of flying and forget to play around with the settings.

You can smooth the gimbal speed down in the settings, I was running it at 50 slowed to 15 now, thanks to some hints from another forum member.
2017-8-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

jksphoto Posted at 2017-8-22 04:22
Thanks Martin, I went out after 8 last night, the sky was really flat. I think if there were filters avalible for the spark it would help, kind of like a grad filter on a DSLR.
I have yet to mess around with the camera in manual, not sure why as I have a full understanding of a DSLR and the control's. I just get caught up in the moment of flying and forget to play around with the settings.

Curious about new footage!
2017-8-22
Use props
Martin Lines
lvl.4
United Kingdom

By co-incidence I can offer a comparison video taken at the same time but just down the road. As you say conditions were flat so I boosted the Brightness and Contrast in the video editor. This washed out the sky so I agree with the ND filter (although I could have added that in during the edit as well as the video software has the ability to put in masks for effects).

I am practicing with all the settings myself so not the most exciting of videos yet!

2017-8-22
Use props
jksphoto
Second Officer
Sweden

Martin Lines Posted at 2017-8-22 05:11
By co-incidence I can offer a comparison video taken at the same time but just down the road. As you say conditions were flat so I boosted the Brightness and Contrast in the video editor. This washed out the sky so I agree with the ND filter (although I could have added that in during the edit as well as the video software has the ability to put in masks for effects).

I am practicing with all the settings myself so not the most exciting of videos yet!

I can't see the video ?
2017-8-22
Use props
Martin Lines
lvl.4
United Kingdom

jksphoto Posted at 2017-8-22 05:38
I can't see the video ?

Ok now?
2017-8-22
Use props
jksphoto
Second Officer
Sweden

Yep, that works. Looks good.
2017-8-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks for the upload. Indeed the sky is washed out.
Spark probably needs a flat profile to compensate (a little) for that.
Although the little sensor is probably too low on dynamic range.

Until Spark gets a flat profile,  EV compensation -1 or something is the only solution, but that would require more work in post lifting the dark parts (and introducing other potential problems with the dark parts like more noise, lack of colour data causing banding etc.) .
I don't see how a ND filter will be of any help as it just lowers the amount of light in the complete frame.  Only need those when you need slow shutter speeds. (but that makes no sense here).
Just lower the EV compensation for the exact same result.

Maybe confusing it with a gradual ND filter. I use these a lot with my photography but these are pretty useless with moving shots as the horizon will keep moving in the frame and you can't change the shift location on the filter from light to dark while flying...
2017-8-22
Use props
jksphoto
Second Officer
Sweden

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-8-22 06:12
Thanks for the upload. Indeed the sky is washed out.
Spark probably needs a flat profile to compensate (a little) for that.
Although the little sensor is probably too low on dynamic range.

True, didn't think about that with the Grad filter. One of my favourite things in my camera bag, for DSLR usage, but not for Drone use.
2017-8-22
Use props
Martin Lines
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I found this great video showing how to do it, it is particularly relevant to me as it is the software I use but it gives the idea for most competent editing suites.

2017-8-22
Use props
jksphoto
Second Officer
Sweden

Martin Lines Posted at 2017-8-22 06:31
I found this great video showing how to do it, it is particularly relevant to me as it is the software I use but it gives the idea for most competent editing suites.

Yout[view_image]ube

I only use Apple's iMovie as its free. Not wanting to spend massive amounts of money on editing software. Its a shame lightroom doesn't allow video editing, as I subscribe to Photshop and Lightroom
2017-8-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

jksphoto Posted at 2017-8-22 06:37
I only use Apple's iMovie as its free. Not wanting to spend massive amounts of money on editing software. Its a shame lightroom doesn't allow video editing, as I subscribe to Photshop and Lightroom

Did you try BlackMagic Resolve?
You have 2 versions (free and paid) but the free looks already pretty feature rich and only missing 4K editing (which the spark obviously can't)
Lot's of pro editors use it, so it is probably good.
I am used to Sony Vegas pro, but if I need to buy an upgrade I will for sure dive into Resolve.
2017-8-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

jksphoto Posted at 2017-8-22 06:14
True, didn't think about that with the Grad filter. One of my favourite things in my camera bag, for DSLR usage, but not for Drone use.

I love these grad ND filters a lot indeed.
But what we do need is a flat picture profile. That way we might be able to recover some more detail out of this little sensor.
Or just get the Phantom 4 Pro or advanced with it's 1" sensor ;)
2017-8-22
Use props
Martin Lines
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-8-22 11:18
I love these grad ND filters a lot indeed.
But what we do need is a flat picture profile. That way we might be able to recover some more detail out of this little sensor.
Or just get the Phantom 4 Pro or advanced with it's 1" sensor ;)

I had a go at the fake ND filter mask.

Needs some more time and practice but the principle works nicely.

2017-8-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Martin Lines Posted at 2017-8-22 14:09

Looking better indeed. Although the effect is a bit too much maybe.

BTW, I think you mead a grad ND filter.

Not an ND filter as that would help you only with lowering the total amount on your sensor (usually used for lowering shutter speeds)
2017-8-22
Use props
jksphoto
Second Officer
Sweden

Good start, although I would say it needs the effect turning down a bit. But like me, practice makes perfect.
2017-8-22
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

Nice one keep it up
2018-6-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Excellent video - greta use of contrast
2018-6-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good vid      
2018-6-16
Use props
CharlieZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 623432 ft
United States

Cool, thanks for sharing!
2019-1-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now