Insurance (world wide third party liability, based n UK)
2378 21 2017-8-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Travel With Kat
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hello everyone,
I'm new here. I've been hunting through the threads for any useful info about insurance. Where can I go for world wide insurance purchased in the UK, please?

Has anyone tried this http://www.fpvuk.org/? It would do to be going on with until I can find something world wide.

My DJI Spark hasn't even arrived yet (expected in a couple of days) and I'm very worried about all this talk of falling out of the sky. Any tips for a complete beginner.

all the best,
Kathryn
2017-8-22
Use props
Bobesh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 270840 ft
Czechia

Try not to think about it that much. Mine fell after 67km of flying and latest firmware update is mandatory (and should fix the falling issue).

The chances of your Spark falling are thin, the issue is just more visible because there is many of them out there.

More problematic part is negotiating with support if something happens - that is just plain awful.
2017-8-22
Use props
wobbles
Second Officer
Flight distance : 547438 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hi AVIVA do insurance on home cover
2017-8-22
Use props
fans5d9349b7
lvl.2
United Kingdom

You can get UK insurance cover from the British Model Flying  Association. mbfa.org I'm not sure about abroad as I only use this insurance with my model helicopters (almost every model flying club in the U.K. requires insurance for members)
2017-8-22
Use props
Travel With Kat
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fans5d9349b7 Posted at 2017-8-22 07:12
You can get UK insurance cover from the British Model Flying  Association. mbfa.org I'm not sure about abroad as I only use this insurance with my model helicopters (almost every model flying club in the U.K. requires insurance for members)

Thanks! I'll check it out.
2017-8-22
Use props
Travel With Kat
lvl.2
United Kingdom

wobbles Posted at 2017-8-22 06:47
hi AVIVA do insurance on home cover

Thank you. I'll look into that.
2017-8-22
Use props
Travel With Kat
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Bobesh Posted at 2017-8-22 05:17
Try not to think about it that much. Mine fell after 67km of flying and latest firmware update is mandatory (and should fix the falling issue).

The chances of your Spark falling are thin, the issue is just more visible because there is many of them out there.

OK, thanks. I hope it doesn't happen again for you. Must make your heart stop!
2017-8-22
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

I'm debating on the whole liability insurance thing here in Canada.  Transport Canada is proposing new regulations on drones which includes mandatory $100k liability insurance.  Good luck and I'm sure i'll need it here in Canada; some insurance company have high rates to cover 'dumbassness'
2017-8-22
Use props
fans9ea9c44f
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

I understand that insurance is invalid unless coplying IN FULL with local regulations, which include landowners' permission to take off and land.
Get that in writing and you'll be doing well.
Simarly  car insurance is automatically invalid if you're racing or pacemaking, driving to work etc if you didn't say so etc.
2017-8-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I did ask my liability insurance and it does cover any damage caused by my drone.
(as long as you comply to the local laws on drone / RC flying)
So that is still somewhat vague and I can only hope pilots fly responsibly as some big accidents are for sure going to change the laws in our disadvantage.

Luckily the Spark is 'only' 300gr and hopefully won't cause too much damage when falling from the sky....
2017-8-22
Use props
Travel With Kat
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Sparky_17 Posted at 2017-8-22 09:29
I'm debating on the whole liability insurance thing here in Canada.  Transport Canada is proposing new regulations on drones which includes mandatory $100k liability insurance.  Good luck and I'm sure i'll need it here in Canada; some insurance company have high rates to cover 'dumbassness'

Here in the UK, the cheapest way to get liability insurance is by joining a club. Only applies to non-commercial flying though, but if you are just a hobbyist might be worth looking for a national drone or model flying club.
2017-8-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Travel With Kat Posted at 2017-8-22 12:08
Here in the UK, the cheapest way to get liability insurance is by joining a club. Only applies to non-commercial flying though, but if you are just a hobbyist might be worth looking for a national drone or model flying club.

True, here in The Netherlands I only asked about non commercial flights.
2017-8-22
Use props
Travel With Kat
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fans9ea9c44f Posted at 2017-8-22 10:31
I understand that insurance is invalid unless coplying IN FULL with local regulations, which include landowners' permission to take off and land.
Get that in writing and you'll be doing well.
Simarly  car insurance is automatically invalid if you're racing or pacemaking, driving to work etc if you didn't say so etc.

Regarding landowners permission - isn't pretty much everywhere owned by some one? I live near the South Downs National Park, for instance, and wonder if I need permission to fly there? I've just emailed them so it will be interesting to see how they respond.
2017-8-22
Use props
Brightlights200
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1001 ft
United Kingdom

I've got insurance through the same Fpvuk for the last 18 months & seems like a good option, not sure on worldwide cover though.
2017-8-23
Use props
fans9ea9c44f
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Keen to hear how you get on with landowner's permission.
Everywhere is owned by someone.
Many negative rumours abound. National trust has banned it all, (but not loose alsations when my chidren are about.)
There are a couple of websites indicating where if at all you can fly, legally that is.
Grim reading I'm afraid.
Even all riverbeds and coast tidal beaches are owned by the crown.
The media has given such hysterical coverage to rc aircraft which they think are drones that the public is paranoid. A few cowboys don't help of course.Please post your findings.
2017-8-23
Use props
Travel With Kat
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fans9ea9c44f Posted at 2017-8-23 01:00
Many negative rumours abound. National trust has banned it all, (but not loose alsations when my chidren are about.)

Would you mind posting links to those websites, please? And I'll let you know what else I find out. I was reading on National Trust website that you can fly with their permission but of course, they may not give it and it's probably only for licensed users.
2017-8-23
Use props
fans9ea9c44f
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hi. Techadvisor uk is a good start. If you google where can I fly my drone on uk several good sites come up.
I'll see if I can add links to these posts.
I may worry too much but only airing this and showing we are responsible
Will help us to improve this situation. Under250 grams may help but not for us Spark users.
The spark must be solid - updates a must for me. I had a couple of cheaper efforts which often lost the plot so I gave up.
Couldn't resist  a spark though.
2017-8-23
Use props
fans9ea9c44f
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Here's a couple I use but there are others.
http://www.noflydrones.co.uk/
http://www.droneguideuk.com/wheretoflydronesuk.html
2017-8-23
Use props
Travel With Kat
lvl.2
United Kingdom

fans9ea9c44f Posted at 2017-8-23 01:41
Here's a couple I use but there are others.
http://www.noflydrones.co.uk/
http://www.droneguideuk.com/wheretoflydronesuk.html

Thanks for this. That's very useful indeed!
2017-8-23
Use props
Drone-Mike
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Have a look at these guys:

https://www.coverdrone.com/

They seem to cover most the world.
2017-8-23
Use props
Travel With Kat
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Drone-Mike Posted at 2017-8-23 05:05
Have a look at these guys:

https://www.coverdrone.com/

Thanks, Mike but I think they only cover commercial users.
2017-8-23
Use props
Drone-Mike
lvl.4

United Kingdom

fans9ea9c44f Posted at 2017-8-23 01:00

This post has a bit about private land etc.

National parks it's always best to check the website and email/ring if they don't have anything.

https://www.heliguy.com/blog/2017/07/31/uk-drone-regulations/
2017-8-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules