Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
(Resolved) Accused by dji
123Next >
5123 111 2017-8-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

So I sent my AC into dji for repair because I had noticed a stress crack appearing on the top panel of my Mavic . Yesterday I received an invoice from dji telling me I was not awarded warranty because screws at the bottom of my AC were damaged and there was some glue missing from the inside.

Dji engineer in Netherlands accused me of causing damage to screws and removing glue, they sent me pictures of the AC opened and a picture of glue but impossible for me to know if there was something missing.

So here's the thing I have never put a screwdriver or any other tools near my AC , I have never touched any of the glue I'm being accused of removing, my Mavic has worked well since day 1 and I have never had the wish or inclination to go near something that is working fine. That's the truth and fact.

So what do we know for certain. An engineer definitely opened my AC because he sent me photographs of it opened , he also sent me photographs of damaged to 2 screws which he accused me of damaging yet the only person we absolutely know touched these screws is the engineer we know this 100%. So why wait until he opened my AC to send me pictures of damaged screws, surely the time to send me these photographs was before he opened my AC , which he did not do, this makes no sense to me.

What are my options here, as engineer was quick to point out I could use my refresh @€99 or pay invoice @€54 , funny enough he has not given me instructions how to pay invoice, but has given me a direct link to pay using my refresh . I have sent two emails to support to try to straighten out the matter, but got one reply to say I had removed glue and must pay.

If a moderator can look into this for me I would be grateful, this is not about the measly few quid but more about dji accusing me of doing something I 100% never did. I will also point out it has been 5 weeks since I sent my Mavic for repair.

CAS-796247-T3L9T6
2017-8-22
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Sorry for the crash, I would recommend you sync the flight records and export the flight log, then contact the support to open a case, we'll submit a data analysis to find out the cause.  http://www.dji.com/support
If the drone hurt, I also suggest sending the drone in for repair.  Thank you.

:-)
2017-8-22
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
United States

Seriously,  could you post pictures of the screws and glue?  Can't believe that's an issue related to the stress crack.  If that's their anti-tampering test, it's an horribly poor one.  The last time I looked, there were more than 2 screws required to open the Mavic.   Good luck resolving this.  I quess we'll all have to photo everything before returning, lest we be accused of causing a defect.

2017-8-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Griffith Posted at 2017-8-22 06:40
Seriously,  could you post pictures of the screws and glue?  Can't believe that's an issue related to the stress crack.  If that's their anti-tampering test, it's an horribly poor one.  The last time I looked, there were more than 2 screws required to open the Mavic.   Good luck resolving this.  I quess we'll all have to photo everything before returning, lest we be accused of causing a defect.

Hi Griffith, it wasn't a crash just noticed crack appearing on top panel of AC so decided to start RMA , the funny thing was dji opened up my AC then discovered glue missing then sent me photographs of damaged screws, I would have expected them to send me photographs before they opened my AC But this was not the case. So obviously they had been at my screws.

I only have iPad with me at the moment will post the photos later. Not sure how this happens, but I have never opened or tried to open AC.
2017-8-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

This is one reply I just received from dji support, it reads very strange almost telling the customer that he has to favour the engineer. I don't think they realised that they opened my AC yesterday and sent me the photographs to prove they did.

Dear David,

If DJI opened your aircraft it would have been registered in our systems and closed in exactly the same way it always is.

I understand your frustration but your feelings matter little in this discussion. I can’t take your word on this since there is an obvious bias and we have evaluated the craft itself.

To defend yourself in this manner is to accuse is in turn of lying.

It’s word against evidence in this case and thus I can’t change this to warranty.

Kind Regards,

DJI Support EU
2017-8-22
Use props
ghostrdr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

I guess we're going to have to take high resolution photos before returning an aircraft for warranty work.
2017-8-22
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-22 07:29
This is one reply I just received from dji support, it reads very strange almost telling the customer that he has to favour the engineer. I don't think they realised that they opened my AC yesterday and sent me the photographs to prove they did.

Dear David,

That's probably the rudest, most obnoxious and unprofessional email I've ever heard of a company sending one of its customers.
2017-8-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ghostrdr Posted at 2017-8-22 07:31
I guess we're going to have to take high resolution photos before returning an aircraft for warranty work.

You know I took photographs of the damage serial number , but didn't think of the screws , I don't know why but I get the feeling they want me to use my refresh. They don't send me a link to pay for repair €54 but send me a direct link to pay €99 for refresh.

My Mavic worked perfect I had a great camera many camera settings saved , I just wanted stressed cracks sorted. I've waited 5 weeks now and I still even if I was to pay for repairs no information on how to do this.
2017-8-22
Use props
Bigga J
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1493 ft
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-22 07:29

Dear David,

What a badly written and disgusting email to send.

The question here is WHY would anyone feel the need to open up the unit in question if it was working correctly and why if it did have a problem would someone not just replace the defective item unless it is under warranty?

For DJI to open the unit up and thereafter claim the screws were damaged is completely wrong, they should inspect all returned items prior to any work being undertaken and then provide a report as to the condition and like  most reputable car dealerships, they should not undertake any work before first discussing the work and agreeing the price beforehand.

I have to say, DJI customer service leaves a lot to be desired in stores I have heard however, I guess the proof of the pudding etc ....

I tend to take photographs of all items being returned so I have proof ... I did this not so long ago with Yuneec and told them I have the photographs of the items and with them sitting in the packaging for this very reason.

I would stand your ground on this but also look at the cost of replacement against the cost they are asking for repair ... might be worth just paying the extra (if it is extra) and chalking it up to experience.

All the best.
2017-8-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-8-22 07:38
That's probably the rudest, most obnoxious and unprofessional email I've ever heard of a company sending one of its customers.

I was taken aback by it, I haven't replied yet I will have to think about this for awhile.
2017-8-22
Use props
fans969cbb25
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2292352 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Is your stress cracks manifesting as eyebrows? I had something similar and dji repaired mine under warranty
2017-8-22
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-22 07:49
You know I took photographs of the damage serial number , but didn't think of the screws , I don't know why but I get the feeling they want me to use my refresh. They don't send me a link to pay for repair €54 but send me a direct link to pay €99 for refresh.

My Mavic worked perfect I had a great camera many camera settings saved , I just wanted stressed cracks sorted. I've waited 5 weeks now and I still even if I was to pay for repairs no information on how to do this.

WOW is all I can say hallmark.... WOW. I cant say I'm surprised and for someone who has spent a lot of times around these forums neither should you be. I imagine even if you had pictures of your screws DJI would claim these were taken before they were damaged. You are completely at the whim of the Engineer who took your AC apart and there is probably nothing you can do. Imagine all the spark owners who lost their AC to water due to obvious battery failing issues only to be told theyre SOL and out $500 because obviously DJI isnt at fault.

Unfortunately this isn't the first time DJI has screwed a customer and probably wont be the last. Its ironic that it happened to be someone who spends LOTS of their free time helping and solving problems for DJI customers that DJI cant or doesn't have the time to solve themselves. DJI should literally be paying you but instead they are treating you like they treat all their customers... LIKE CRAP

2017-8-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bigga J Posted at 2017-8-22 07:50
What a badly written and disgusting email to send.

The question here is WHY would anyone feel the need to open up the unit in question if it was working correctly and why if it did have a problem would someone not just replace the defective item unless it is under warranty?

Funny thing repair is cheaper than opting for a replacement, like you photography is my interest with the Mavic my camera was pretty good I had many good settings saved. It's not really about the money it's really small, it's more about accusing me of tampering with the Mavic when I know I didn't. Yes it looks like complete set of photographs are needed as proof , that's one lesson I've learned here.
2017-8-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans969cbb25 Posted at 2017-8-22 07:51
Is your stress cracks manifesting as eyebrows? I had something similar and dji repaired mine under warranty

One was eyebrow and one looked like it was manifesting from opening one of the arms. I suppose it just becomes a principle when your accused of doing something you know you never done,
2017-8-22
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Dear hallmark007,

Sorry to hear that awful story.
It is incredible that, quite almost, all customer services are erratic in so many ways.
2017-8-22
Use props
ghostrdr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-22 07:49

The other issue is that you probably won't get your aircraft back but will have it replaced with a refurb, basically someone else's problems.  I've already decided that if my drone needs work it's going to Thunderdrones... even in warranty. At least I'll know what I'm dealing with!
2017-8-22
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-22 07:09
Hi Griffith, it wasn't a crash just noticed crack appearing on top panel of AC so decided to start RMA , the funny thing was dji opened up my AC then discovered glue missing then sent me photographs of damaged screws, I would have expected them to send me photographs before they opened my AC But this was not the case. So obviously they had been at my screws.

I only have iPad with me at the moment will post the photos later. Not sure how this happens, but I have never opened or tried to open AC.

The crash comment was just my sick attempt at satire :-)  

While I don't like the attitude of the support group, I sure they may have been stung with some dishonest claims in the past.  As  for bias, they are obviously not without theirs.

I presume their 'evidence'  is their claim of tempering,  However their 'evidence' seems a bit weak and evidence is  hardly proof.   It may support a pre-conceived conclusion  but could just as easily be explained by other circumstances.

Here are some questions I have:

-  Is 'screw and glue' abnormality a common finding or is it the first one they've seen?
- Were the screws in question from the outside or inside?  Same for glue.
- Was their 'evidence' documented before or after opening the drone?   
- Were there any other signs of tampering?
- Were there any other common signs of tampering that were NOT present?  
- Have they considered other sources of the screw and glue abnormality?   Could it be a manufacturing defect?

It is, of course, DJI's prerogative to deny warranty service it the terms have been violated,  but this is yet another example or extremely poor customer service to deny claims based on such flimsy evidence.

I would ask them to show how their evidence proves, beyond reasonable doubt, their conclusion.

2017-8-22
Use props
Nazar78
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5106037 ft
Singapore

I'm truly sadden by your experience. Care to share the said pics?

The BIG question is why did the engineer proceed opening your AC apart as he claimed the bottom screws got damaged by you while you only reported the stress crack on top? Shouldn't they stop the repair job upon noticing the damaged bottom screws which was not reported and clarify with you first before any further actions? Only then they can argue it's the customer's fault. Now that the AC has been opened by the engineer, it's no longer words against evidence!

Used to be in customer service line before moving to IT and that's not professional IMHO. Stand your ground.
2017-8-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Griffith Posted at 2017-8-22 08:33
The crash comment was just my sick attempt at satire :-)  

While I don't like the attitude of the support group, I sure they may have been stung with some dishonest claims in the past.  As  for bias, they are obviously not without theirs.

Not sure if the screw glue is or not there first case
The screws were from the underside back two apparently the glue is used to put on the screw before tightening that's the info they gave me and one of them didn't have the glue (mind boggling)
No evidence was given to me by way of photos same time it showed screws damaged and aircraft opened, I found this strange they could have just sent me photographs of screws and claimed I tampered with them , but the obviously opened aircraft at same time.
There was no other evidence given of any other tampering , I did ask if it could have happened in manufacturing, but received no answer.

I did think you were joking at first but just wasn't sure apologies for that.

2017-8-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ghostrdr Posted at 2017-8-22 08:29
The other issue is that you probably won't get your aircraft back but will have it replaced with a refurb, basically someone else's problems.  I've already decided that if my drone needs work it's going to Thunderdrones... even in warranty. At least I'll know what I'm dealing with!

Didn't really want refurb , my drone was great but now I know that there was glue missing and my screws are knackered , I'm kind of sorry I sent it in.
2017-8-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Fractures Posted at 2017-8-22 08:02
WOW is all I can say hallmark.... WOW. I cant say I'm surprised and for someone who has spent a lot of times around these forums neither should you be. I imagine even if you had pictures of your screws DJI would claim these were taken before they were damaged. You are completely at the whim of the Engineer who took your AC apart and there is probably nothing you can do. Imagine all the spark owners who lost their AC to water due to obvious battery failing issues only to be told theyre SOL and out $500 because obviously DJI isnt at fault.

Unfortunately this isn't the first time DJI has screwed a customer and probably wont be the last. Its ironic that it happened to be someone who spends LOTS of their free time helping and solving problems for DJI customers that DJI cant or doesn't have the time to solve themselves. DJI should literally be paying you but instead they are treating you like they treat all their customers... LIKE CRAP

Look it's nothing to do with cost of it that's pretty small, but when I received first email telling me I tampered with the AC, not that the aircraft was tampered with but specifically that I did it, when I know I didn't, and I also know no one else tampered with it. I was taken aback at being accused this way when it was 100% wrong, but that's obviously the way they choose to handle stuff.
2017-8-22
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

I agree with some of the other posters that you should post the photographs DJI support sent you.
If you don't want to post them here, compare the photos with the repair video clips on YouTube.

On the outside of the Mavic I can see two screws with a drop of glue in them, but if those screws with glue are inside the Mavic and if that glue is indeed missing, then it doesn't look good for you.

Did you buy this Mavic as a brand new device or from one of those "return-and-restock" stores?
2017-8-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Nazar78 Posted at 2017-8-22 08:40
I'm truly sadden by your experience. Care to share the said pics?

The BIG question is why did the engineer proceed opening your AC apart as he claimed the bottom screws got damaged by you while you only reported the stress crack on top? Shouldn't they stop the repair job upon noticing the damaged bottom screws which was not reported and clarify with you first before any further actions? Only then they can argue it's the customer's fault. Now that the AC has been opened by the engineer, it's no longer words against evidence!

That's what I thought should be done, I can't post photos from my iPad and am not near a pic to do so, you can get to the photographs by using my case number above and going into repair history using this number.
2017-8-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MARSAN Posted at 2017-8-22 09:05
I agree with some of the other posters that you should post the photographs DJI support sent you.
If you don't want to post them here, compare the photos with the repair video clips on YouTube.

You can use my case number in opening post and just go into repair history on your app photographs are there, I can't post them because you can't post photographs from iPad as I have already explained in earlier post, your case history is not private anyone can see it once they have your case number.

You have my full permission to post them, I'm travelling on a boat from Scotland to Ireland and then I have a 4 hour drive. Hope I've explained myself.
2017-8-22
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-22 09:09
You can use my case number in opening post and just go into repair history on your app photographs are there, I can't post them because you can't post photographs from iPad as I have already explained in earlier post, your case history is not private anyone can see it once they have your case number.

You have my full permission to post them, I'm travelling on a boat from Scotland to Ireland and then I have a 4 hour drive. Hope I've explained myself.

I am not familiar with opening case numbers, but I'll check what I can find.
Don't rock the boat...
2017-8-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MARSAN Posted at 2017-8-22 09:16
I am not familiar with opening case numbers, but I'll check what I can find.
Don't rock the boat...

CAS-796247-T3L9T6
You just need to go to repair history this number will lead you to my case and there you will see the progress and photos.
2017-8-22
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Disgusting, just plain disgusting.  This is the most shameful I have seen DJI be yet.  Especially to someone like yourself who has done nothing but help this company with all their failures.  I'm lost for words.  
2017-8-22
Use props
Nazar78
lvl.4
Singapore

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-22 09:03
That's what I thought should be done, I can't post photos from my iPad and am not near a pic to do so, you can get to the photographs by using my case number above and going into repair history using this number.

Saw the pics. Forget about the missing glue probably loctite missed during production assembly. Now they received your mavic with damaged screw heads, in any SOP they must immediately reject the repair and get back to you before proceeding to dismantle the aircraft to be dealt out of warranty.
2017-8-22
Use props
Hugh Jaynus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

Here ya go -
5aaba955-dd85-47dc-8fb2-a8fb72e1955b.jpg
343080c4-f4af-47e8-8d78-3a922ffcf486.jpg
bede8654-2b55-4652-9cdc-23e0bebe6dd3.jpg
2017-8-22
Use props
Tmygun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-22 09:03

Did you get this Mavic directly from DJI?  Is it at all possible they have mixed up the Mavic with another Mavic.........don't see any pictures of the serial number.
2017-8-22
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
United States

Took a look at the pics also.

1. I saw no pics of the cracked body - the real issue.
2. Not sure what I was supposed to see inside - is it the screw in the center bottom?

I would ask them to pack it up and send it back.  (We'll see if they really replace the screws and glue).  Then I would open a new case and send it to another repair depot :-)  OK - forget that one.  Just send it to Thunderdrones.

I'm guessing, however, they'll probably want money to send it back UNREPAIRED!

Check the serial number when it comes back -  Is that really you're drone?
2017-8-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Tmygun Posted at 2017-8-22 09:45
Did you get this Mavic directly from DJI?  Is it at all possible they have mixed up the Mavic with another Mavic.........don't see any pictures of the serial number.

Yeah it was one of the first Mavics manufactured, I have the serial numbers.
2017-8-22
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
United States

I see now that the serial number is listed on the Repair Inquiry.  Not much else there.  I hope you're able to see additional information - like the original complaint and customer communications.
2017-8-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Griffith Posted at 2017-8-22 10:00

That's the strange thing about this one, I have since last December got these little fitted rubber boots that sit snug over the landing rubbers , yet when I look at the feet they look really damaged mine don't have marks on them like what you see in the pictures.

They don't show any of the pictures with the damaged top panel. I think engineer is a qualified butcher.
2017-8-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Thanks for your help.
2017-8-22
Use props
Nazar78
lvl.4
Singapore

Griffith Posted at 2017-8-22 10:00

The first image both bottom screws has their head holes slightly worn off, much clearer in the second image. The third inside image has its screw sinkhole side threads chipped.

I could also agree that they might have the mavics mixed up without sn# in the pics.
2017-8-22
Use props
Mari
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

MARSAN Posted at 2017-8-22 09:05

... missing a drop of glue doesn't prove anything... someone could have forgotten to put it on... the same with the damaged screw(s), who can prove this wasn't done in factory... when you use tools for a long time they wear out, something you then damage screws when tighten them...

Did one of us inspect all screws of the Mavic when we unboxed it? I didn't... I just looked and all seemed ok, some with glue...
2017-8-22
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

Mari Posted at 2017-8-22 10:18
... missing a drop of glue doesn't prove anything... someone could have forgotten to put it on... the same with the damaged screw(s), who can prove this wasn't done in factory... when you use tools for a long time they wear out, something you then damage screws when tighten them...

Did one of us inspect all screws of the Mavic when we unboxed it? I didn't... I just looked and all seemed ok, some with glue...

Yes, I noticed glue on two screws on the outside of the Mavic.
Have a look at my reply to hallmark.
2017-8-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Griffith Posted at 2017-8-22 10:08
I see now that the serial number is listed on the Repair Inquiry.  Not much else there.  I hope you're able to see additional information - like the original complaint and customer communications.

I have kept all emails.
2017-8-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DocAraxá Posted at 2017-8-22 08:18
Dear hallmark007,

Sorry to hear that awful story.

Thank you, we will see what comes of it,