Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Why isn't DJI allowing the NTFS format on large SD cards?
3187 8 2017-8-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
marklyn59
lvl.4
Flight distance : 395072 ft
United States

I really dislike the 4Gb boundary from the old MS DOS days and really don't understand why DJI doesn't allow EXT format or NTFS format SD cards to overcome the split in large files (over 4Gb).  Yes, I know I can use an app to put the pieces together, but why should I have to?

So I guess I'm asking DJI directly why this obviously sophisticated, obviously expensive drone to write video to an NTFS or EXT formatted card???
2017-8-22
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

In other threads DJI forum admins have stated that it's in your best interest to partition video in 4GB chunks, that way if a problem happens and the video file is unable to close, your entire flight's video won't have been lost. It is a common question and request, though, that purportedly has been forwarded on to DJI engineers for consideration.
2017-8-22
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

On my GoPro camera a long video clip is chopped into 1GB files. I never found this to be of a problem.
2017-8-22
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

At least there's no stutter or chop in the video if you splice them together or play back-to-back in VLC (for example).  A lot of the tech is old school mixed in with space-aged.  It's weird.
2017-8-22
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

MARSAN Posted at 2017-8-22 14:07
On my GoPro camera a long video clip is chopped into 1GB files. I never found this to be of a problem.

Interesting. Wonder if for the same failsafe reason?
2017-8-22
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-8-22 15:27
Interesting. Wonder if for the same failsafe reason?

I don't know the reason, it's possible that this is documented somewhere, but I couldn't find it.
BTW, the dashcam (not a GoPro) in my car also records the video clips in 1GB slices.
2017-8-22
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-8-22 13:08
In other threads DJI forum admins have stated that it's in your best interest to partition video in 4GB chunks, that way if a problem happens and the video file is unable to close, your entire flight's video won't have been lost. It is a common question and request, though, that purportedly has been forwarded on to DJI engineers for consideration.

Everything you've said is accurate.
2017-8-27
Use props
fansaeb28bba
lvl.2
Flight distance : 175600 ft
Switzerland

Problem is Fat32 File System has a max file size of 4GB. So this is usually the set limit for compatibility reasons even if a file system allows larger file sizes, should you want to copy the file to a Fat32 disk. Btw: you can close an "unclosed" video with tools.
2017-8-29
Use props
marklyn59
lvl.4
Flight distance : 395072 ft
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-8-22 13:08

Sounds reasonable but I'd sure like an option in the software to do it if I want to.
2017-10-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules