70352 70352 2017-8-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Is it possible to use palm land when you are not in gesture mode?
2017-8-22
Use props
realstreetuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7966 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

yes just go into gesture mode in the dji app whilst controller is connected then you can fly normal or use gestures then press the land icon on screen and put your palm underneath it should land ?
2017-8-22
Use props
SteelTallon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 204094 ft
  • >>>
United States

Or just hold down left stick until starts to descend in to your out stretched palm.  I do it all the time.
2017-8-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

So you must be in gesture mode?
2017-8-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

SteelTallon Posted at 2017-8-22 14:19
Or just hold down left stick until starts to descend in to your out stretched palm.  I do it all the time.

That would also be an option. Thanks
2017-8-22
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Nope, palm landing is not available when it is not in Gesture Mode.
2017-8-23
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6129 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-23 23:48
Nope, palm landing is not available when it is not in Gesture Mode.

Depends what you mean by palm landing. You can of course land in your palm when not in gesture mode but DJI may quibble that it is not strictly 'palm landing' as a DJI patented function. The rest of us would still call it palm landing.

My usual method is to bring it down manually to within reach, press the initiate landing icon (and then do the swipe to confirm) on screen and once it has started to descend place my hand underneath. Just like in official 'palm landing' in gesture mode the rotors turn off as soon as it touches down in your hand. A lot less faff than going into gesture mode.

The wrapped in cotton wool safety queen users (see other thread on the 'dangers' of palm landing) will probably say I am risking decapitation and the future welfare of every living soul within half a mile but I am happy with the perceived risk. I would not choose to do this in a hurricane or when standing on a human pyramid of greased up dwarves - I do use a bit of common sense.
2017-8-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Convert Posted at 2017-8-23 23:59
Depends what you mean by palm landing. You can of course land in your palm when not in gesture mode but DJI may quibble that it is not strictly 'palm landing' as a DJI patented function. The rest of us would still call it palm landing.

My usual method is to bring it down manually to within reach, press the initiate landing icon (and then do the swipe to confirm) on screen and once it has started to descend place my hand underneath. Just like in official 'palm landing' in gesture mode the rotors turn off as soon as it touches down in your hand. A lot less faff than going into gesture mode.

Yes, that is 'not' what I ment with palm landing.
But it will also do the trick.
I'm not sure if the 'official' way will be safer as the drone knows it is palm landing instead of landing on a regular surface. (maybe shutting down motors sooner or something)
2017-8-24
Use props
ix3lplix
lvl.2
Flight distance : 145846 ft
United States

Convert Posted at 2017-8-23 23:59

A lot less faff?

It takes one icon press to go into gesture mode. Then palmland will initiate as soon as it detects your hand. To me, this seems much simpler than swiping and having to time the landing in your hand manually.
2017-8-24
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
United Kingdom

ix3lplix Posted at 2017-8-24 06:19
A lot less faff?

It takes one icon press to go into gesture mode. Then palmland will initiate as soon as it detects your hand. To me, this seems much simpler than swiping and having to time the landing in your hand manually.

Yes, to me a lot less faff. To enter gesture mode you first have to having it directly in front of you, facing you at about eye level. Then two clicks on the screen to enter gesture mode. Wait for it to recognise your face. Then (and this might be me) it won't do a palm land directly - it seems to like a palm up command first before reliably entering palm land. Not sure what this timing thing is you speak of.
I normally bring it in at full speed in sport mode from wherever I've been using it. I've got pretty good at judging braking distance so it slows down to stop a couple of metres right above me. Click out of sport mode, swipe the land buttons and as it slowly drops I take my phone out of the remote in time to put my hand out and have it land. It goes from 25mph to in my pocket in 10 seconds which looks cooler to bystanders than a bit of jedi nonsense :-)

Anyway - whatever works for you. That's why it's good to have a few methods to do most things.

2017-8-24
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

You can always grab and tilt it.
2017-8-24
Use props
ix3lplix
lvl.2
United States

Convert Posted at 2017-8-24 06:36
Yes, to me a lot less faff. To enter gesture mode you first have to having it directly in front of you, facing you at about eye level. Then two clicks on the screen to enter gesture mode. Wait for it to recognise your face. Then (and this might be me) it won't do a palm land directly - it seems to like a palm up command first before reliably entering palm land. Not sure what this timing thing is you speak of.
Anyway - whatever works for you. That's why it's good to have a few methods to do most things.

Yeah, to each their own I guess...

Just an FYI... you don't have to do facial recognition before you palm land.

All you do is click the Gesture icon to go into gesture mode, stick your hand out below the aircraft, and it will land as soon as it detects your hand.

2017-8-24
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
United Kingdom

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-8-24 06:39

Yes, that's good too. I did that after a salt water on remote 'error' which then stopped working whilst at sea in a kayak moment. Grab, tilt and in a dry bag before the next wave!
2017-8-24
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
United Kingdom

ix3lplix Posted at 2017-8-24 06:39
Yeah, to each their own I guess...

Just an FYI... you don't have to do facial recognition before you palm land.

I'm surprised if that's true (the not doing a facial before recognising a palm) unless you have been flying it around in gesture mode from launch. I will have to give it a go later.
2017-8-24
Use props
ix3lplix
lvl.2
United States

Convert Posted at 2017-8-24 06:44
I'm surprised if that's true (the not doing a facial before recognising a palm) unless you have been flying it around in gesture mode from launch. I will have to give it a go later.

I usually do a palm launch, but I always switch to other modes (Quick Shots, Active Track, TapFly) for the majority of my flight before I switch back to Gesture mode just to land.

I'm pretty I'm auto-launched and still did a palm landing in gesture mode without facial recognition. I'll test it out the next time I fly.
2017-8-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

What does the tilt do?
Shut it down?
2017-8-24
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-8-24 10:17
What does the tilt do?
Shut it down?

It will auto shut off the motors.  It's a safety feature of the spark, should it tilt 90 degrees.
2017-8-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-24 10:19
It will auto shut off the motors.  It's a safety feature of the spark, should it tilt 90 degrees.

Learning all the time.
Good to know these insights
2017-8-24
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

I will palm launch my spark first, then open DJI GO4 app .. and sometimes will do palm land with DJI Go4 app open.  Some times I only use 100% gesture mode.  I like to be able to decide based on where I'm at and doing.
2017-8-24
Use props
InTheReeds
lvl.4
Flight distance : 347103 ft
United States

Is this harmful to the AC?
2017-8-24
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

InTheReeds Posted at 2017-8-24 11:26
Is this harmful to the AC?

There's been some debate in the forums as to what impact (if any) there is in tilting the drone "off".

I don't think there is any negative impact.  It's not my preferred method of shutting it down, but not because I think it harms the drone.  I think that there's a lot of things that could go wrong when using this maneuver (in fact I sliced up my finger once).  You could injure yourself, you could drop the craft, etc.  If collision avoidance is turned on, the craft is going to try and stay away from your hand, further complicating this maneuver (you have to snatch and flip with assertiveness).

But from a mechanical perspective, I don't believe that this harms the craft at all.  I'll occasionally use it to end a flight.  Safer though to land it, or to put it in gesture mode and capture it with your palm.
2017-8-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-24 11:44
There's been some debate in the forums as to what impact (if any) there is in tilting the drone "off".

I don't think there is any negative impact.  It's not my preferred method of shutting it down, but not because I think it harms the drone.  I think that there's a lot of things that could go wrong when using this maneuver (in fact I sliced up my finger once).  You could injure yourself, you could drop the craft, etc.  If collision avoidance is turned on, the craft is going to try and stay away from your hand, further complicating this maneuver (you have to snatch and flip with assertiveness).

It sure seems safer indeed.
2017-8-24
Use props
nucmanchh
lvl.4
United States

Yes. Hoover Spark a few feet in front of you and above you. Walk over to it, extend your arm. Hold it there for a few seconds with hand open under the Spark and then lower it with the RC. It will slowly land in your palm
2017-8-24
Use props
BlueSkies99
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3238 ft
United States

I most often take off and land in my palm, but I use the controller to initiate the take off with the Take Off button and slider and land by holding the left stick down.  I should assign take off and land to a custom button.   This has done away with the occasional compass errors I have seen after take off from a rocky area or concrete when getting to altitude.  
2017-8-24
Use props
ix3lplix
lvl.2
United States

BlueSkies99 Posted at 2017-8-24 13:19
I most often take off and land in my palm, but I use the controller to initiate the take off with the Take Off button and slider and land by holding the left stick down.  I should assign take off and land to a custom button.   This has done away with the occasional compass errors I have seen after take off from a rocky area or concrete when getting to altitude.

You might want to watch out for any flight that starts with compass errors. You end up with with a much higher risk of flyaways.

I tested auto take off with a gesture palm landing with just switching to gesture mode (no facial recognition) and it worked fine.
2017-8-24
Use props
PascalG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 274327 ft
United States

I always hover in front of me about 5' off the ground, facing out, then grab it from behind and tilt

I don't see why I would want to change modes, risk a glitch, just to Palm land.

I doubt tilting the drone  does any harm especially if you do it quickly   
2017-8-24
Use props
RoyTeo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 45194 ft
Singapore

I almost always just grab the spark and tilt it 90deg to shut off. Much faster than activating palm,landing but yea, curious to know if that damages the craft since I do it all the time.
2017-8-24
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

RoyTeo Posted at 2017-8-24 16:05
I almost always just grab the spark and tilt it 90deg to shut off. Much faster than activating palm,landing but yea, curious to know if that damages the craft since I do it all the time.

I admire your mad ninja skills.  Pretty certain there's no harm to the craft.
2017-8-24
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

PascalG Posted at 2017-8-24 15:58
I always hover in front of me about 5' off the ground, facing out, then grab it from behind and tilt

" then grab it from behind and tilt "

I second that ;-)
2017-8-24
Use props
ix3lplix
lvl.2
United States

PascalG Posted at 2017-8-24 15:58

Changing modes (a built-in feature of the software) adds risk for glitches? That's the first I've heard of that.
2017-8-24
Use props
lafoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1402680 ft
Portugal

Grab and Tilt... That's what a do around people, or dogs... we never know!... I think is safer and quicker.
2017-8-24
Use props
Kloo Gee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

nucmanchh Posted at 2017-8-24 12:17
Yes. Hoover Spark a few feet in front of you and above you. Walk over to it, extend your arm. Hold it there for a few seconds with hand open under the Spark and then lower it with the RC. It will slowly land in your palm

This is what I do pretty much every time!  Super easy to do!
2017-8-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks. I will see what suits me best
2017-8-24
Use props
BerkoZg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2628 ft
Croatia

Im landing in beginer mod in palm. Just push down throttle (and hold it) when hand is under spark. Dont have inteligent flight acitvated yet
2017-8-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Thanks.
I liked the idea of palm landings, but was not sure about this combined with 'non gesture' modes.
As soon as the Spark can record 25fps I will buy and try!
2017-8-25
Use props
PascalG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 274327 ft
United States

ix3lplix Posted at 2017-8-24 20:57
Changing modes (a built-in feature of the software) adds risk for glitches? That's the first I've heard of that.

I would agree with you, there should not be any issues changing control mode and there probably isn't but considering how glitch spark seems to be I try to keep it simple.  What if spark doesn't recognize you, drifts up and doesn't switch back to RC mode?

It's just as easy to grab it than switching mode
2017-8-25
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
United Kingdom

ix3lplix Posted at 2017-8-24 06:56
I usually do a palm launch, but I always switch to other modes (Quick Shots, Active Track, TapFly) for the majority of my flight before I switch back to Gesture mode just to land.

I'm pretty I'm auto-launched and still did a palm landing in gesture mode without facial recognition. I'll test it out the next time I fly.

Just to confirm having played with it that palm land seems to need facial recognition to get into gesture mode first before it is recognised. I tried approaching it with the spark pointing away from me and it was not interested in landing in my hand- indeed if I put it too close it just ascended to get more than 300mm away from what it assumed to be ground.

That said facial recognition seems to be getting faster with each firmware upgrade so maybe a none problem.
2017-8-25
Use props
ix3lplix
lvl.2
United States

Convert Posted at 2017-8-25 05:24
Just to confirm having played with it that palm land seems to need facial recognition to get into gesture mode first before it is recognised. I tried approaching it with the spark pointing away from me and it was not interested in landing in my hand- indeed if I put it too close it just ascended to get more than 300mm away from what it assumed to be ground.

That said facial recognition seems to be getting faster with each firmware upgrade so maybe a none problem.

To be honest I have not tried doing a palm landing  facing the other way, but it definitely does not do the same up-down scan (facial detection) it does when you do a palm launch right before a palm land. I highly doubt facial detection is involved at all.

Maybe one of the mods can chime in and explain how it works.
2017-8-25
Use props
lfkiter
lvl.2
Flight distance : 111942 ft
United States

I tried to snatch my Spark out of the sky and flip upside down to land in gusty winds, and when I get my hand underneath it, it gains altitude automatically.  This is with the RC connected, and obstacle avoidance disabled.  Any ideas on what's going on? Anyone else experience this?
2017-8-25
Use props
ix3lplix
lvl.2
United States

PascalG Posted at 2017-8-25 04:30
I would agree with you, there should not be any issues changing control mode and there probably isn't but considering how glitch spark seems to be I try to keep it simple.  What if spark doesn't recognize you, drifts up and doesn't switch back to RC mode?

It's just as easy to grab it than switching mode

What if as you grab your spark your hand slips and it propels forward into the floor? There's a ton of "what ifs" in either situation.
2017-8-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules