DJI Phantom 3 Battery Genuine Check
9912 29 2017-8-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dhruvrai
lvl.1

Ireland

Hello, I bought this battery for DJI Phantom 3 SE recently from China. It says Phantom on it. The box seems to be real.. But there are no white stickers on the box. There are no manuals or any paper work from DJI in that box.

Battery gives no error when I put it in to the drone. Didn't fly my drone yet.

It is not that smooth fit like the other battery which came with the drone. It gets bit hard to take it out from the drone.

When I look at it carefully I can see minute differences in the plastic.

I contacted the seller and he says that the battery is genuine. I am suspicious that the battery might be fake. Can someone please check this battery serial number for me 6171151916962 and verify it if it is genuine.

2017-8-22
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

https://forum.dji.com/thread-8255-1-1.html
I dont know that there is any way to check the serial, I would just google photos or look at photos on DJI's website and compare. Specifically barcode and legal stuff
2017-8-22
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

The mods can check serial #
2017-8-22
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

Upload photos of it here.
2017-8-22
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Forget the dim LED bit .... that is not true of all non-genuine DJI batts.

I have various clone batts and they are just as bright as DJI and work exactly same.

OP says battery fits and works .... so what is the problem ?

Nigel
2017-8-22
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Do not worry, an reminder will pop up in DJI GO when non-DJI battery was detected.
2017-8-22
Use props
repairman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

yes i bought a non dji ,it gave broken cell warning but had plenty power,no fly sent it back.bought dji battery.
2017-8-22
Use props
dhruvrai
lvl.1

United States

I will upload the photos soon..

I bought it from this seller: http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Genuine-D ... 2057872.m2749.l2649

Battery is exactly like the one which came with the drone except there is no chinese markings on it.

Second thing, it fits bit tight in the drone.

Leds are bright like the original.

No error came yet on the APP.
2017-8-23
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

I do not see a problem ... there is a lot of paranoia spread about this subject which does not help anyone.

eBay despite peoples opinions is hot on false claims by sellers ... I know - I have questioned two sellers of other items and eBay banned them .....

Being a bit tight is better than being a bit loose !!! Both my DJI and clone batterys need a good tug to get out ... I am happy with that.

Contrary to popular myth - very few batterys get refused by the P3 ... they have to be pretty bad copies to have that happen ...

Nigel
2017-8-23
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

quadpilot Posted at 2017-8-23 03:31
hi Nigel
I was told that they had dim leds on this forum somewhere when i asked about them
and was told they would not work as the firmware would flag it up as none dji battey

I cannot answer this as the Forum will remove the post.

The dim LED item is only found on some - people who say ALL clone batterys have dim LED's are talking rubbish ... sorry to be rude ... but that's truth.

My Clones are just as bright and work exactly same as my original ..... charge same ... fly same ... update FW same ... auto discharge same ... in fact apart from the label - there is no difference at all.... apart from the price !! Just over 1/2 DJI rec'd ....

Nigel
2017-8-23
Use props
dhruvrai
lvl.1

Ireland

Hi guys please take a look at these photos. The minute differences I was talking about are here in this picture..

The battery which I think might be fake is the one with Ebay written on it.

I bought the battery from this link:  http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Genuine-DJI-Phantom-3-Professional-advanced-standard-Flight-LiPo-Battery-15-2v/122387672209?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I might be bit paranoid at this stage. But can somone please compare thier original batteries with my Ebay one.

2.jpeg
^ Almost same. Ebay one is in English and that's normal.

3.jpeg

^ Now look, the Ebay battery button and round LED is bit raised up. The original battery button and round LED is smoothly in.

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

^ The plastic is bit different in EBAY. I think that is why it is bit tight in the drone.

2017-8-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Better to be a tight battery fit, (which will eventually wear in a bit), to a looser one.  

There have been diasterous outcomes, when a flight pack gets loose, and cuts all power to your motors.

RedHotPoker
2017-8-23
Use props
dhruvrai
lvl.1

Ireland

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-8-23 13:11
Better to be a tight battery fit, (which will eventually wear in a bit), to a looser one.  

There have been diasterous outcomes, when a flight pack gets loose, and cuts all power to your motors.

That's true. But I am not concerned about that.

Do you think that the battery is genuine?
2017-8-23
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You could try this serial decoder

http://djiserialdecoder.x10host.com/

All the DJI products serial no.'s I have seen are alpha numeric e.g ODQAE6S03200CA

How do the cells look in the DJI Go4 app are they all around the same voltage, have you done a hover test to see how much the voltage drops against time in the air, I'd compare it to the original

2017-8-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

dhruvrai Posted at 2017-8-23 15:38
That's true. But I am not concerned about that.

Do you think that the battery is genuine?

If it works, and doesn't give you any warnings, we would like to believe it is genuine. ;-)

Wishing you all the best in good luck, towards it.  Fingers crossed. Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-8-23
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Quad pilot .... no nastiness at all .... just being honest.

This forum removes any posts that go against DJI policy such as links to non DJI battery's.

Nigel
2017-8-23
Use props
dhruvrai
lvl.1

Ireland

Alright. Thank you all for your help and support. I will try the new battery and will post how it goes.
2017-8-24
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

dhruvrai Posted at 2017-8-24 00:14
Alright. Thank you all for your help and support. I will try the new battery and will post how it goes.

I have several of the non-DJI batteries. All of them work well and have for some time. A couple do have a little dimmer lights but the others are the same. One thing I try to look for is that the battery is "Decoded". There are some that don't say that and I think you would not be able to use them for your phantom. I think most of the knock-offs if you will are "Decoded". that means the contain the info in the chip that will allow your phantom to think it is a genuine battery. I don't claim to know exactly how it is done, but you get the picture. Like was said, going back a year or so the DJI batteries were $100-$150, and I bought most of mine in that $75-$80 range. Basically 2-for one in my mind, and they have never let me down. I think the battery market has gotten very competitive, and quite honestly I don't understand why DJI had such a big price on theirs. I think they are still advertising the phantom 3 batteries for $149 on the DJI website. Anyway I don't think you will have any problems.
2017-8-24
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-8-24 04:59
I have several of the non-DJI batteries. All of them work well and have for some time. A couple do have a little dimmer lights but the others are the same. One thing I try to look for is that the battery is "Decoded". There are some that don't say that and I think you would not be able to use them for your phantom. I think most of the knock-offs if you will are "Decoded". that means the contain the info in the chip that will allow your phantom to think it is a genuine battery. I don't claim to know exactly how it is done, but you get the picture. Like was said, going back a year or so the DJI batteries were $100-$150, and I bought most of mine in that $75-$80 range. Basically 2-for one in my mind, and they have never let me down. I think the battery market has gotten very competitive, and quite honestly I don't understand why DJI had such a big price on theirs. I think they are still advertising the phantom 3 batteries for $149 on the DJI website. Anyway I don't think you will have any problems.

Would the only issue be warranty if you crashed using the clone battery ?
2017-8-24
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

lannes Posted at 2017-8-24 06:39
Would the only issue be warranty if you crashed using the clone battery ?

I guess if you still have warranty that might be a consideration. My situation was I bought 1-extra DJI battery right after I purchased my P3A a couple years ago. I got to flying so much I decided to pick up some extras, but by that time I was close to warranty being out anyway, so I wasn't concerned. I would agree if you have warranty and you did have a crash, they would probably be able to tell what battery was in it, whether it was a fault or not, it would surely give them an "out". Guess you'll have to decide for yourself.
2017-8-24
Use props
dhruvrai
lvl.1

United States

I have tried the battery. It worked fine but the flytime was bit less than the original one. One thing to notice was, it started with 15 mins flying time on the app and after 5 minutes it was 17 minutes flying time on the app. So basically app was not able to judge how much battery is left I think.  It was all fine but I am more inclined now that it is not genuine.
2017-8-25
Use props
Phantom Craig 0
lvl.1
Flight distance : 159665 ft
United Kingdom

What is the model number of the battery?
2017-8-25
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

dhruvrai Posted at 2017-8-25 06:56
I have tried the battery. It worked fine but the flytime was bit less than the original one. One thing to notice was, it started with 15 mins flying time on the app and after 5 minutes it was 17 minutes flying time on the app. So basically app was not able to judge how much battery is left I think.  It was all fine but I am more inclined now that it is not genuine.

OK ... flight time is based on power demand and voltage level remaining .... bit like the miles to go on your car readout against fuel in your tank.
Its purely a maths calculation based on two inputs .... rate of drain and level detected.

Best is to have Voltage displayed top right under the % figure ...
Second ... when charging ... you have two options :

Connect battery and charge when battery is well below 90% level

Switch on battery and connect to charge when battery level is over 90% level.

Me ? I switch on EVERY time I charge and that gives me as near 100% charge as possible. I noticed that not switching on before connect often only hit 95% or so when it stopped charging.

Nigel
2017-8-25
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

lannes Posted at 2017-8-23 16:00
You could try this serial decoder

http://djiserialdecoder.x10host.com/

Why DJI GO 4 ????

This is DJI P3 thread and GO 4 has no relevance at all .....

Nigel
2017-8-25
Use props
lannes
First Officer
  • >>>
Australia

solentlife Posted at 2017-8-25 07:12
Why DJI GO 4 ????

This is DJI P3 thread and GO 4 has no relevance at all .....

Apologies , too used to my  P4P
2017-8-25
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

lannes Posted at 2017-8-25 07:34
Apologies , too used to my  P4P

No worries ....

Many others post on other as well .... I think its a fault of the ALL section ... people reply not knowing where the question comes from ...

Nigel
2017-8-25
Use props
dhruvrai
lvl.1

Ireland

Phantom Craig 0 Posted at 2017-8-25 06:58
What is the model number of the battery?

Model Number : PH3-4480mAh-15.2V
2017-8-26
Use props
dhruvrai
lvl.1

Ireland

solentlife Posted at 2017-8-25 07:04
OK ... flight time is based on power demand and voltage level remaining .... bit like the miles to go on your car readout against fuel in your tank.
Its purely a maths calculation based on two inputs .... rate of drain and level detected.

Thank you Nigel. Great help!

I will try that, thank you.
2017-8-26
Use props
dhruvrai
lvl.1

United States

UPDATE GUYS: I was dealing with the seller of this battery and I involved ebay to deal with this situation. Ebay seller was not able to provide written confirmation from the manufacture or a law enforcement to confirm if the Item is authentic or not.

Hence the battery was not genuine and I got the refund. The buttons and everything should be exactly same in the original and extra battery.
2017-9-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

dhruvrai Posted at 2017-9-11 02:11
UPDATE GUYS: I was dealing with the seller of this battery and I involved ebay to deal with this situation. Ebay seller was not able to provide written confirmation from the manufacture or a law enforcement to confirm if the Item is authentic or not.

Hence the battery was not genuine and I got the refund. The buttons and everything should be exactly same in the original and extra battery.

Thanks for keeping us updated. The outlook might be different from different batches. DJI Store or local authorized dealer are recommended when you consider an extra battery.
2017-9-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules