5128 33 2017-8-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not that I would wish harm on anyone.......
But....someone ..... somewhere is bound to get cut or otherwise injured doing a palm landing.

It is bound to happen.

All it would take is any one of many possible foul ups to injure someone.
Gust of wind, false move of right stick, one motor sudden stop, catcher stumbles, catcher raises fingers, etc.

What then?

They try to sue DJI? New FW update comes out that somehow eliminates the possibility of palm landing?

I always land on the ground. I don't believe in taking un-necessary chances.

As I said, I don't wish harm on anyone, but.... the danger is there.

Palmists...... Be Careful!!

2017-8-22
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

DJI does warn customer to install the propeller guards to avoid injuries. Everybody should take the advice if any flying close to body will be perform.
And yes, quadcopters are dangerous devices. Fly with extremely care.
2017-8-22
Use props
jyc
First Officer
Flight distance : 2255846 ft
Canada

I think the exact same thing, I always land it on the ground.
2017-8-22
Use props
ThirdEyeFlyin'
lvl.2
Flight distance : 162444 ft
Canada

Pfft....worst case palm landing is a lesson on being more careful palm landing.  Minimal risk in my opinion.  I've grabbed this thing out of the air so many times and yet to be nicked by the props.  I accept the risk and applaud the increased capacity of myself to not cut myself.

Running with scissors though....whole 'nuther story.
2017-8-22
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

You can get additional protection, if you want. Looks like it would work without the propeller guards:

btw: It hurts only short time and little. And is not bleeding!
2017-8-22
Use props
phatav8r60
lvl.2
China

Dude, there is a chance I'll get hit by a bus, or crapped on by a seagull too, I'm not going to live my life in fear.  
Besides, the easiest way to land a Spark isn't by palm landing.  

It is to simply reach up, grab the body of the drone, and then flip it over on it's back.
2017-8-22
Use props
Enri
lvl.4
Flight distance : 683501 ft
Italy

knockin wood!
2017-8-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Not sure how much damage the props will cause if you touch them.
2017-8-22
Use props
Indi91
lvl.2
Flight distance : 103973 ft

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-8-22 22:39

I can tell, it will slice your flesh off clean. That being said, its not coz of palmlanding, its my stupidity to try push the spark while hovering to see if it will hover back. Yea i learnt my lesson.

But i still love palmland, and use them most of the time. Its kindda like a show off when you can make it beeline to you and just land at your palm without you moving to pick it up (and amazes the watchers )
2017-8-22
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6129 ft
United Kingdom

I have access to a circular saw, planer thicknesser, tig welder, plasma cutter, handheld and cnc routers, a chainsaw, a lawn mower and.... a car. There are bigger H&S worries in my life than ickle plastic blades. Personally I don't think the spark is very well suited to ground landings and take off; certainly not in the rough and uneven terrain where I prefer to fly and film - the props are too inclined to get caught in long grass or hit a stone and the camera to hit something on landing. The legs are not long enough for landing in more extreme locations. I palm land and takeoff 95%+ of the time (obviously being a man I give myself stupid 'can I land it on that 100mm round stone' or 'can I land just one leg on the tip of a rock and hold it there' challenges as some sort of ego trip) but rarely use the gesture mode to do it - just press the launch icon on screen with it in my hand and put it into landing mode on the app and get my hand under it before it reaches the floor.

Fortunately the thought of suing as first reaction to user error and a sore finger is still just an American thing culturally - most of us around the world just shrug and don't look to shift the blame or get compensation. But I do fear we are not far behind which has to be a bad thing, unless you work in the law 'industry'.
2017-8-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Indi91 Posted at 2017-8-22 23:32
I can tell, it will slice your flesh off clean. That being said, its not coz of palmlanding, its my stupidity to try push the spark while hovering to see if it will hover back. Yea i learnt my lesson.

But i still love palmland, and use them most of the time. Its kindda like a show off when you can make it beeline to you and just land at your palm without you moving to pick it up (and amazes the watchers )

Ouch.
So a bit caution is (as always) good.
Thanks for the reminder
2017-8-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Convert Posted at 2017-8-23 00:06
I have access to a circular saw, planer thicknesser, tig welder, plasma cutter, handheld and cnc routers, a chainsaw, a lawn mower and.... a car. There are bigger H&S worries in my life than ickle plastic blades. Personally I don't think the spark is very well suited to ground landings and take off; certainly not in the rough and uneven terrain where I prefer to fly and film - the props are too inclined to get caught in long grass or hit a stone and the camera to hit something on landing. The legs are not long enough for landing in more extreme locations. I palm land and takeoff 95%+ of the time (obviously being a man I give myself stupid 'can I land it on that 100mm round stone' or 'can I land just one leg on the tip of a rock and hold it there' challenges as some sort of ego trip) but rarely use the gesture mode to do it - just press the launch icon on screen with it in my hand and put it into landing mode on the app and get my hand under it before it reaches the floor.

Fortunately the thought of suing as first reaction to user error and a sore finger is still just an American thing culturally - most of us around the world just shrug and don't look to shift the blame or get compensation. But I do fear we are not far behind which has to be a bad thing, unless you work in the law 'industry'.

True, I would find it rather stupid if I would sue DJI for some obvious mistake I made.
We might soon see a sticker on the back saying: keep your bodyparts out of the propeller range or 'only palm use gestures with prop guards attached'
Hate these things.
Where did common sense go?
2017-8-23
Use props
Magius
lvl.1
Singapore

Your fingers won't get cut off dude. I've always use my thigh n butt to block the drone when i test crap indoors when it goes crazily close. Slight pain n scratches. No meat falling off lol.
2017-8-23
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I don't think I've seen one post about someone injuring them self during a palm landing.

Noticing the OP is from the country of blame. No offence, its just that you have so many lawyers vying for business wherever they can, my impressions i get is it's where there's a blame there's a claim mentality. If you are doing a palm landing and you screw it up that doesn't instantly make it DJI's fault but the first thing that comes to your mind is suing DJI. Anyone else in the world would probably just bandage themselves up and be more careful next time.

2017-8-23
Use props
HomePoint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If hundreds and hundreds of people started to have serious injuries from the palm land feature, then yes something would be done.  Most people with experience of drones hand catch all the time even without the feature being there, so that would continue even if the palm land automatic process was removed.
2017-8-23
Use props
STech - Hathder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459094 ft
Brazil

A thing a lot of people dont even know is the danger of a blade rotating at thousands of RPM, even the little blades of spark can make a serious damage.

If someone need to show I WILL SHOW, and advice STRONG IMAGE, BE WARNED:

so BE VERY CAREFUL, with you and with others next to you when you manage your drone.

I already cut my hand  with a little brushless helicopter (Wl v977) years ago and its not the best thing in the world, the blades cut my hand like hot knifes cut butter.

2017-8-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

That looks bad indeed.
2017-8-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Malakai_UK Posted at 2017-8-23 01:43
I don't think I've seen one post about someone injuring them self during a palm landing.

Noticing the OP is from the country of blame. No offence, its just that you have so many lawyers vying for business wherever they can, my impressions i get is it's where there's a blame there's a claim mentality. If you are doing a palm landing and you screw it up that doesn't instantly make it DJI's fault but the first thing that comes to your mind is suing DJI. Anyone else in the world would probably just bandage themselves up and be more careful next time.

We all signed an agreement that says we cannot sue dji, not much work for the lawyers in that.
2017-8-23
Use props
InkedUpDad.com
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55276 ft
United States

The most you can do is follow the guidance of DJI and install the prop guards if you're expecting to palm land often. Otherwise, it's a risk you must be willing to accept.
2017-8-23
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

STech - Hathder Posted at 2017-8-23 02:02
A thing a lot of people dont even know is the danger of a blade rotating at thousands of RPM, even the little blades of spark can make a serious damage.

If someone need to show I WILL SHOW, and advice STRONG IMAGE, BE WARNED:

which of those were spark injuries?
2017-8-23
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

I think palm launch and landing is safe so long as you think before you do it and use common sense.  always launch or land with a flat palm.  I've done a couple of dozen times now with no issues or near misses.

Good luck to all and use common sense...
2017-8-23
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-8-22 22:39

Experience:  It will penetrate skin deep enough to cause bleeding.  I found this out one of the first times I was palm launching from the boat, and I didn't like the way the spark was lifting off, so I grabbed it with little regard for my own hand.
2017-8-23
Use props
STech - Hathder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459094 ft
Brazil

Malakai_UK Posted at 2017-8-23 04:11

All caused by Drones, spark can cause injuries that for sure are very similar.

I post this images to make a WARNING to pilots that for some reason may think that a 11.592 RPM ( p3 theorical max RPM, i dont know spark max rpm)  blade dont even scratch the skin..                     See other user Charles Adams experience.

2017-8-23
Use props
OneMatt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 155984 ft
Canada

Prop guards do nothing for protecting fingers. It will protect your face if it jumps forward on takeoff.

As with anything, BE CAREFUL. This isn't a toy. People have been hand catching Phantoms, and those will cause much more damage than a Spark. Not many amputated hands there.

Just be smart.
2017-8-23
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

I know they warn people.
Look at the Inspire2, they put a "Mind your fingers" sticker on it.

Somebody probably got pinched and tried to litigate.

All I am saying is that someone will do it sooner or later, so be careful.
Today everything is covered with warning labels, so they have lost their meaning.
And common sense isn't all that common anymore.........

xxxiu.jpg
2017-8-23
Use props
dezign999
lvl.2
Flight distance : 27297 ft
United States

I got cut on my arm and palm doing a palm landing. Gust of wind hit and tilted the spark. I didn't feel anything, the blades are extremely sharp.
2017-8-23
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Convert Posted at 2017-8-23 00:06

" Personally I don't think the spark is very well suited to ground landings and take off; certainly not in the rough and uneven terrain where I prefer to fly and film - the props are too inclined to get caught in long grass or hit a stone and the camera to hit something on landing. The legs are not long enough for landing in more extreme locations. "

Yep, thats the main reason for starting or landing "palm".
I ordered this for a test
2017-8-23
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
  • >>>
Thailand

Malakai_UK Posted at 2017-8-23 04:11

None is my guess!
2017-8-23
Use props
Kyokushin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 296381 ft
Poland

Honestly?
Only the last idiot would place the spinning rotors near his face, eyes or hands.

I never used palm start and landing, and never will, because its just stupid to do it.

When i was on a uav licence course, they told me how quick a spinning rotors may cut, how dangerous they are, and to never catch a copter to turn it off or on, after or before flying, in a way when rotors can harm by a simple electronic malfunction, never close it to face, eyes, and other people.
Catching it when its working its simple stupidity.

Be smart. Do not belive marketing evils and advertisements. NEVER use palm start/landing. Use Your imagination, brain, and self preservation instinct.
Compass error, wind, engine malfunction and you may be blind. It will be a problem of Your family.

Even with prop guards and other crap mentioned here - spinning rotors may cut your face and eyes. You do not want it.
2017-8-23
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Well, we clearly all have different attitudes to risk and trust our ability to use common sense to greater or lesser extents. I am happy to continue to doing so, others clearly are not.
2017-8-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-8-23 17:36
" Personally I don't think the spark is very well suited to ground landings and take off; certainly not in the rough and uneven terrain where I prefer to fly and film - the props are too inclined to get caught in long grass or hit a stone and the camera to hit something on landing. The legs are not long enough for landing in more extreme locations. "

Yep, thats the main reason for starting or landing "palm".

Curious how these will affect your Spark.
Flight time, stability (also in wind) and possibly if they show up in the footage while turning.
2017-8-23
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Convert Posted at 2017-8-23 22:39
Well, we clearly all have different attitudes to risk and trust our ability to use common sense to greater or lesser extents. I am happy to continue to doing so, others clearly are not.

As long as we don't blame the manufacturer for not warning us for our lack of common sense...
2017-8-23
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-8-23 23:51
As long as we don't blame the manufacturer for not warning us for our lack of common sense...

Don't worry, we are not all American yet!
2017-8-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Convert Posted at 2017-8-24 00:29
Don't worry, we are not all American yet!

And luckily not all American's are displaying that behavior!
2017-8-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules