2542 13 2017-8-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Matioupi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 922569 ft
France

That would be nice if DJI Mods coulds give some answers here about this :
I'm flying only with OTG since I own my Spark (and using Wifi is not possible without going through the painfull WiFi reset at each power on)
The app has always been displaying 5.8GHz being used (no info about the channel).

That said, I've been able to fly over 1000 m distance to RC in EU which is well above the advertised 500 m. And many times over 700-800 m.
Everything is stock (no modded RC or whatever) and firmwares up to date.

Thus I'm wondering if :

- the RC / AC radiolink do respect the EU 25 mW max in the 149 to 161 channels that are used when in 5.8GHz mode ? (and if so how can I fly double the advertised max distance)

- the 5.8 GHz displayed in OTG is really the frequency that is used between RC and AC ? (if it happen to be 2.4 GHz, then it would explain why 1000 m is possible in EU or at least would be closer to the advertised range). Please don't reply that OTG is not recommanded :-) to use as not officially supported..

Could it be that when using OTG, the extra wifi bandwidth between RC and phone gives some extra margin to the RC to AC link ? If this is the case, I'm wondering why DJI is not going faster on making OTG official. When going full Wifi, my understanding is that RC is acting as a WiFi router and phone and AC becomes WiFi clients. Then the data flow stream is going WiFi from AC to RC and then WiFi again from RC to phone thus consumming twice the bandwidth from an OTG setup. I saw some videos testing that states the OTG did not extend max flight range (did not noticed if they were shooted in EU or US) and I have not tested myself.

By the way, how is the selection about using EU, US or other regulatory domain is done ? is it permanently set at activation time or does it adapt to country I may travel ?
Could it be displayed clearly somewhre in the DJI Go 4 interface ? (new feature)

2017-8-23
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
France

@mod no answers ?
2017-8-24
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6129 ft
United Kingdom

What have you set the max distance to in the app? Mine started with the setting automatically set to the EU maximums but I could have increased them if I had wanted to. Complaining that your spark goes further than the maximum distance permitted by local regulation is a bit like complaining that your car goes faster than the speed limit though - it is up to the operator to control it and keep within the permitted limits  for where you are using it.

As for the distance you can reach - lucky you! I guess it must be a geographical area with minimal interference. I would just go into settings and make sure you have the limits set to the correct distances for where you are using it (500 distance, 120 height) and revel in having a device that works well.

I don't think you will get a mod response/advice about any operation using an OTG cable apart from don't as they are not officially supported.

2017-8-24
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
France

Of course I'm happy that the Spark is reaching good ranges... and I hope it will stay like that !

My concerns is that I would like to make sure that it's not under US/FCC rules while I'm in EU.
As far as I know, there is no way to explicitely display the mode that has been choosen by the system.

Now that I'm more confident with the Spark, I'll test full Wifi this week-end...

Still I'd like to have as a new feature a display of the regulatory mode that the system is using.
2017-8-24
Use props
STBi01
lvl.1
Flight distance : 33573 ft
Sweden

Matioupi Posted at 2017-8-24 00:55
Of course I'm happy that the Spark is reaching good ranges... and I hope it will stay like that !

My concerns is that I would like to make sure that it's not under US/FCC rules while I'm in EU.

I would also know this
2017-8-24
Use props
jh8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 39685 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

The easiest way to check is by looking at the 2.4GHz channels (before connecting with OTG):
11 = FCC mode
13 = CE mode
2017-9-3
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

As you mentioned, OTG is not recommended as this function has not been fully tested. Our aircraft strictly comply with local regulations and corresponding standard will be chosen automatically according to the current location. The range might be different in the specific situation.
2017-9-3
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
France

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-3 19:20
As you mentioned, OTG is not recommended as this function has not been fully tested. Our aircraft strictly comply with local regulations and corresponding standard will be chosen automatically according to the current location. The range might be different in the specific situation.

Hello, I am now flying without OTH and am overpassing the CE ranges too.
Even if i lit up the system outside with full GPS view & all firmwares and databases up to date, the RC always say "US" regulatory domain.
It is the same for a friend of mine who has a fly more combo and his RC is in "US" mode too.
Both were bought from DJI store.

Tested with Wifi scanner : http://wifiscanner.com (enable "country code" columns) and also from a Linux box with iw reg get command after pairing to the network. Both test setup shows "US" regdom used by RC, even for CE RC.
2017-9-3
Use props
Saint74
lvl.2
Flight distance : 361568 ft
Poland

With otg RC willl not change rangę from FCC to EU.
2017-9-3
Use props
Matioupi
lvl.4
France

Saint74 Posted at 2017-9-3 21:01
With otg RC willl not change rangę from FCC to EU.

I just wrote I'm now flying WITHOUT OTG and all behaviour stays the same : RC "locked" in US mode and range more than double of "CE advertised" (2 good clues to believe that Spark is in US mode, added that I have "11" channels only in wifi selection in App, what I could not see before in OTG as this was hidden)
2017-9-3
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Matioupi Posted at 2017-9-3 20:49
Hello, I am now flying without OTH and am overpassing the CE ranges too.
Even if i lit up the system outside with full GPS view & all firmwares and databases up to date, the RC always say "US" regulatory domain.
It is the same for a friend of mine who has a fly more combo and his RC is in "US" mode too.

Hiya,

I did check my country code of the RC using wifi scanner. Wow, i read US there!
But i do not have the double CE range, far from that.

So there must be more that you have i i have not...
Cheers Hans
2017-11-6
Use props
Flip_L
lvl.3
Flight distance : 330686 ft
Germany

As mentioned above: "The easiest way to check is by looking at the 2.4GHz channels (before connecting with OTG): 11 = FCC mode, 13 = CE mode"

Other than that I think it is very unlikely that you are accidentally flying in FCC mode ;)

Regarding your range "issues" I found that the max distances given by DJI can be surpassed very easily (under ideal conditions!), but as soon you do that the connection gets very fragile, i.e. you pointing the RC slightly different, or turning the AC can result in immediate connection losses.

Most range issues occur when pilots are flying their sparks in areas where there are a lot of interferences when using the 2.4GHz band. Typically within populated areas or close to very strong wiFi/Bluetooth signals. This can impact range and image quality severely and render your AC almost unusable.

Hope that helps,
Flip.
2017-11-6
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Maybe you are a lucky guy and should play Euro Millions and Euro Jackpot?
2017-11-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Matioupi Posted at 2017-9-3 21:41
I just wrote I'm now flying WITHOUT OTG and all behaviour stays the same : RC "locked" in US mode and range more than double of "CE advertised" (2 good clues to believe that Spark is in US mode, added that I have "11" channels only in wifi selection in App, what I could not see before in OTG as this was hidden)

Before last FW I have been flying consistently 500/600 metre since new FW 800 metres is no problem I never use OTG, and I think I could have gone further just using 2.4 ghz and WiFi between RC and AC.
2017-11-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules