Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Updated Firmware, on first flight took off and crashed
2543 30 2017-8-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Schmo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 154921 ft
United States

I just updated to the new firmware on my Spark. Updated the remote, battery, and the Spark it self. Upon starting it up for the first time, it locked in GPS, launched, made a home point, then proceeded to spin and then take off. I had zero control over it and it crashed in my yard braking 2 blades. I have had zero issues before this update and now had a fly off and now I'm nervous to fly it.

So, why did this happen? What could of I done to prevent it? What can you do to control it during a fly-away scenario? Then finally how do I get new blades cause this obviously wasn't my fault.?

Any insight would be welcome. Thanks.
2017-8-23
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you are willing to share with the spark community, you can obtain and upload the (very sort) flight log, and we can see if we can find anything suspect.
2017-8-23
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

did you update the DJI GO 4 app too?  Did you do your pre flight test? if so, what were they?
2017-8-23
Use props
Schmo
lvl.1
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-23 07:51
If you are willing to share with the spark community, you can obtain and upload the (very sort) flight log, and we can see if we can find anything suspect.

I'd be more then happy to share the log. I'm on iOS so the only way I know is to export the csv file through iTunes. Unless there is another way I'm not aware about.

As far as preflight. I did everything normal. I turned on. All calibration was good, locked into many satellites (15+), launched, hovered, recorded home point, then it began to spin, and then just took off.

Even if it drop connection for a blip, it shouldn't just take off like.
2017-8-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Can you post log, also did you calibrate lately and where did you launch from.
2017-8-23
Use props
Schmo
lvl.1
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-23 09:04
Can you post log, also did you calibrate lately and where did you launch from.

I don't have access to iTunes where I'm at, I'll have to post it later. Calibration was all good. Launched from my brick patio like I always have.
2017-8-23
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

away from whoms fault it was: You still have 1 set of spare propellers. And they are really inexpensive to get on Amazon or e-bay!
2017-8-23
Use props
TMUSVI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 228891 ft
U.S. Virgin Islands

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/         post log there and send address here
2017-8-23
Use props
Schmo
lvl.1
United States

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-8-23 09:56
away from whoms fault it was: You still have 1 set of spare propellers. And they are really inexpensive to get on Amazon or e-bay!

You are correct. Aside from 2 blades, the Spark it self is ok. I did 2 flights after and all were successful with zero issues. More just worried if this can happen again, 200ft up in the air. I was lucky it has only 4ft and just hit something in my yard.

Reviewing the flight log in the app, it showed zero errors. Like I said before just launch, hover, home point, and then took off.

Just odd it did it, first flight after firmware update.
2017-8-23
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Sorry for the crash, could you please export the data of this flight, then upload it to the Dropbox? I'd like to forward it to our engineers to check what happened.
2017-8-23
Use props
Schmo
lvl.1
United States

I'm unable to use Dropbox and Assistant from my work computer. But here is my AirData link:
http://app.airdata.com/main?share=rbWMAS

Looks like it drops to Atti and then just takes off. Not sure why it would do that though.
2017-8-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Schmo Posted at 2017-8-24 06:23
I'm unable to use Dropbox and Assistant from my work computer. But here is my AirData link:

Unfortunately airdata logs are pretty poor and not very good you could try link below to PH, it may show a bit more.
Although you say it went into Atti mode, if you are thinking because it says gps Atti , just to let you know this is not Atti mode , but rather normal gps. It's just the confusing way airdata print it.
So if you want to try link below just click and follow instructions come back here and post link.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2017-8-24
Use props
Schmo
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for that. That is way more informational.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/HVDEEPL0C764DE5RY4TI/

Looks like compass error. But question is why would that not show up on my screen as an error. I got no calibration notice. I check compass and IMU after the update and all was fine. Launched, let it hover, then the compass error came on and flew away. Before anyone asks, yes I'm not near anything magnetic or metal, launch from the center of patio like I always do. Still wondering how I got no notice or the error.
2017-8-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Schmo Posted at 2017-8-24 09:22

You won't always get warning, particularly if you take off fast, it may not come from take off area it's hard to say you could check your app to see if warning was posted.

If you have downloaded your dat file from aircraft and sent to dji they should be able to tell you what caused compass interference.

Just a tip when you start your AC small red triangle bottom left corner if this triangle is on the same heading as your AC you compass is good , if it's not turn off your AC and move to another location and try again.
Hopefully not to much damage done, but worth getting it checked.
Good luck.
2017-8-24
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

5th Fly away case.
2017-8-24
Use props
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

Schmo Posted at 2017-8-24 09:22

Hi, can I ask:
1. You are on Android or Iphone?
2. OTG or without?

Thanks
2017-8-24
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Schmo Posted at 2017-8-24 06:23

Sorry, we need the original data from the drone, could you please try export and upload the info needed so we can help to check. Appreciate your assistance.
2017-8-24
Use props
Enri
lvl.4
Flight distance : 683501 ft
Italy

Flyaway?....dropped from a few ft....pilot won't even know where to find spare props....here we have neurons flyaways....
2017-8-24
Use props
Schmo
lvl.1
United States

Phuong Do Posted at 2017-8-24 17:58
Hi, can I ask:
1. You are on Android or Iphone?
2. OTG or without?

iPhone 6
without (Wifi)
2017-8-25
Use props
Schmo
lvl.1
United States

Enri Posted at 2017-8-24 21:27
Flyaway?....dropped from a few ft....pilot won't even know where to find spare props....here we have neurons flyaways....

How do you define a fly away? It literally spun and took off on its own. Did you not see the data? And I'm not dumb, I know where to get props. This obvious was a glitch in the Drone, asking for $18 prop in compensation is not unreasonable request.

Finding out why this is happening is more important, not talking down to people. But thanks.
2017-8-25
Use props
Schmo
lvl.1
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-24 18:15
Sorry, we need the original data from the drone, could you please try export and upload the info needed so we can help to check. Appreciate your assistance.

I downloaded DJI Assistant and connected my Spark. But there are no flight info for that flight. In fact its only showing my last 4 flights. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Or do you need the Black Box data? Original post wasnt clear. And do I send the whole black box folder?
2017-8-25
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Schmo Posted at 2017-8-25 17:06
I downloaded DJI Assistant and connected my Spark. But there are no flight info for that flight. In fact its only showing my last 4 flights. Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Or do you need the Black Box data? Original post wasnt clear. And do I send the whole black box folder?

Perhaps it was overwritten by the latest data. So you had flown the drone few times after that crash, right? Was there any abnormal behavior? Did the drone work well? Please have an overcheck for the drone to see if it got hurt by the previous crash. Contact us asap if you have trouble. Thank you.
2017-8-31
Use props
Schmo
lvl.1
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-31 01:45
Perhaps it was overwritten by the latest data. So you had flown the drone few times after that crash, right? Was there any abnormal behavior? Did the drone work well? Please have an overcheck for the drone to see if it got hurt by the previous crash. Contact us asap if you have trouble. Thank you.

Thanks for the check up. I've had zero issues since the crash. It was just the first after the update. I did a compass calibration immediately after even though I was not instructed to.

The drone it self is fine. It was only a few feet off the ground and flew into the chain of a swing. Only lost the blades. 1 broke in half, one cracked. Replaced the other 2 for precaution.

I uploaded the video to youtube.
2017-8-31
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Schmo Posted at 2017-8-31 07:38
Thanks for the check up. I've had zero issues since the crash. It was just the first after the update. I did a compass calibration immediately after even though I was not instructed to.

The drone it self is fine. It was only a few feet off the ground and flew into the chain of a swing. Only lost the blades. 1 broke in half, one cracked. Replaced the other 2 for precaution.

Yeah, you are right with changing the broken propellers. Besides, please check the battery slot, too. Send it to us for an overall check if needed. Thank you.
2017-9-1
Use props
PrincessB
New

Austria

HI!
This exact same thing happend to me yesterday >> Just way further, faster and crazier!!

But it seems to be the same Compass Error & Speed Error.
I actrually LOST my Spark and it seems to have crashed over a park with people!! Tried to find it >> No luck! It lost connection before it crashed, so no way to know where it exactly came down.
Here the FLIGHT RECORD:phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/DX4AARCV89YZ8GXMU6LE/

As you can see it accelerated up 36.1mph !!!
and went up to 51.5ft by itself.
I fully lost control of the AC after 4s into the flight and then it just took off like crazy to my right!!
I sent a Return To Home at 17s into the flight. No reaction!
At 24 seconds into the flight it lost connection at 26.2ft at 34.6mph about 162.4ft away from me and disappeared over a park with trees!!

Here also the video until it lost connection:youtu.be/sGPLVUqv2UU
Scheisse means sh%t by the way ;)

Can anyone help with the Error messages and flight records?
Why would it accelerate like that ?
Why did it not react to he Return To Home?
Why did it fly (such a perfect) curve? I couldn't even do that manually...
Why did it loose connection just 162.4ft away with perfect line of sight?
What will DJI do for me in your experience?

This incident scared us to death, I mean to have the spark speed up to nearly 35mph by itself and take off is a massive risk!!
You can hear my wife and myself freak out on the video...
Thanks!
2017-9-1
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

PrincessB Posted at 2017-9-1 02:06
HI!
This exact same thing happend to me yesterday >> Just way further, faster and crazier!!

Feel sorry for your loss. Did you contact our support to start a case? Please export your flight data to dropbox and provide it to the support. They will help you find out the problem soon.
2017-9-1
Use props
PrincessB
New

Austria

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-9-1 02:42
Feel sorry for your loss. Did you contact our support to start a case? Please export your flight data to dropbox and provide it to the support. They will help you find out the problem soon.

Yep, dropbox.com/s/ni5p87farufe99p/DJIFlightRecord_2017-08-31_%5B18-21-05%5D.txt?dl=0
2017-9-1
Use props
kabekid
lvl.1
Flight distance : 128002 ft
United States

today i got a request to do a compass calibration, i did it and started flying and a compass error came up and it went into atti mode. i brought it back down, did a compass calibration, reset it and everything is fine again. weird stuff
2017-9-1
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
China

PrincessB Posted at 2017-9-1 15:45
Yep, dropbox.com/s/ni5p87farufe99p/DJIFlightRecord_2017-08-31_%5B18-21-05%5D.txt?dl=0

Please export all data from your account and follow the video below. Did you contact the support? Please provide the case number to me. Thanks.
2017-9-3
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
China

kabekid Posted at 2017-9-1 21:15
today i got a request to do a compass calibration, i did it and started flying and a compass error came up and it went into atti mode. i brought it back down, did a compass calibration, reset it and everything is fine again. weird stuff

Any interference around your spark? Did this error message show in your app a lot of times?  Please stay away from factories,outdoor antenna and other objects which can affect compass.
2017-9-3
Use props
PrincessB
New

Austria

PrincessB Posted at 2017-9-1 02:06
HI!

UPDATE: After one week DJI got back to me, after asking for flight records from my phone and the video cached on my phone. Filled out a short questioner about the Fly-Away incident. They didn't comment on the reason for the Fly-Away, but offered to send me a new Spark for free.
2017-9-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules