Inspire to Props
756 11 2017-8-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sosastream
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1242188 ft
United States

While doing pre-flight checks I noticed some play on my Inspire 2 red marked prop, Is there a recall for this?
2017-8-23
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Do you have any spare props, to check if they are all connecting loosely, on that motor?

RedHotPoker
2017-8-24
Use props
Blackwood
lvl.4

United States

This has been a problem since day 1.  DJI claims that it's normal.  Any engineer will tell you it's bad and that the vibration will eventually destroy your motors.  It may be just your red props now, but eventually your white props will do that same.  The DJI "fix" was to insert foam into the props which masks the the rattling sound but does not fix the issue of the extra vertical play in the props.
What I have done and several other too is make vinyl shims.  I used electrical tape.  It eventually wears out, but is easy to replace when they do.  There are a couple of places you can put the tape as you can see in the picture I attached, but the fastest and easiest way is the thin strips.  Putting the tape there works just as well as covering most of the base and can be done very quickly as apposed to sitting there trying to precisely trim the excess tape off.  It may not look pretty, especially after use like on these 2 props, but it works great and no one will see this while the props are mounted on the bird.  There is a guy in England that made professionally cut vinyl shims, I think he would make good money if he started selling them on the internet.
IMG_9842.JPG
2017-8-24
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I just ran a bead of CA Medium glue around the bottom edge of the props and set it aside for a day to dry.  No more rattle, although I see the white ones are loosening up now too and may need a glue treatment.
2017-8-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Is that possible to take a short video about the propellers? We will confirm if it is normal, thanks.
2017-8-25
Use props
orion0007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 308642 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-25 00:05
Is that possible to take a short video about the propellers? We will confirm if it is normal, thanks.

Any play on the props is not normal and will eventually cause a failure in the system. Why wont dji acknowledge this and fix it. We are fed up with you.
2017-8-27
Use props
allanart
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1050577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My precision cut Vinyl shims fix the problem and are available for GBP 10.00 per set of four shims (2 Red + 2 White) - including postage anywhere in the world.
Send me a PM with your e-mail address if you want to buy a set, if there is enough interest I'll put them on e-Bay.
Kind regards
Allan

2017-8-28
Use props
orion0007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 308642 ft
United States

allanart Posted at 2017-8-28 00:12
My precision cut Vinyl shims fix the problem and are available for GBP 10.00 per set of four shims (2 Red + 2 White) - including postage anywhere in the world.
Send me a PM with your e-mail address if you want to buy a set, if there is enough interest I'll put them on e-Bay.
Kind regards

Hi Allen I'm not sure how to PM you but I'm very interested here is my email gsdogs@volcano.net.
2017-8-28
Use props
EagleEyeUAV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1242638 ft
United States

allanart Posted at 2017-8-28 00:12
Kind regards

Alan i would love a couple sets of those
2017-8-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

orion0007 Posted at 2017-8-27 07:36
Any play on the props is not normal and will eventually cause a failure in the system. Why wont dji acknowledge this and fix it. We are fed up with you.

As the propeller and propeller mounting plate are plastic parts made through injection molding, there might be an engineering tolerance with them. The shipped Inspire 2 aircraft have been tested and quality assessment has been conducted. The tolerances are within a standard range. This issue does not affect the normal use and flight safety.We don't suggest customer to change/modify the propeller by yourself.
2017-8-29
Use props
allanart
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1050577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-29 01:15
As the propeller and propeller mounting plate are plastic parts made through injection molding, there might be an engineering tolerance with them. The shipped Inspire 2 aircraft have been tested and quality assessment has been conducted. The tolerances are within a standard range. This issue does not affect the normal use and flight safety.We don't suggest customer to change/modify the propeller by yourself.

Dear DJI Mindy. Any aeronautical engineer worth his/her salt will tell you that no amount of play in any propeller is acceptable. I am personally involved with propellers for full-size aircraft both electrically powered and combustion engines and I can assure you that the amount of free play in the Inspire-2 propeller hubs is NOT healthy.  
I have tried since 23 May to have a sensible conversation with DJI Support (Europe) but sadly to no avail. I would be more than happy to discuss the matter with DJI Engineers - provided that they willing to talk sensibly about it. Foam in the prop-hub is NOT a solution.
Kind regards
Allan
2017-8-29
Use props
JerryLaurence
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21988 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry Mindy, but sometimes it seems as if DJI Support is talking to children who have no understanding of the issues. In other words, it can come across as extremely patronising. Most of us use
DJI equipment in good faith but there are clearly a few issues that need to be properly addressed.
2017-8-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules