[ask] is this normal behavior for mavic pro camera?
2004 17 2017-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
andry_shin
lvl.2
Indonesia

hi all, so this video tested with my mavic pro around 15~ish minute, i found some glitch in the video..( i chop down the video to a few second to take a look at )

at this glitch_watermark_01 : frame 38-42 top area, glitches movement camera

second video mavic pro, found some glitch 76-78  ( on building )

third video mavic pro,: frame 28-30 loos like a jello effect

question, is this normal? should let it be? i fix it? or go to service?

2017-8-24
Use props
R Kamedes
New
Flight distance : 105348 ft
United States

Are you using any filters?  I had this issue when I tried some cheap lens filters.  The glich/stutter would happen to me ONLY when I was backing up.  That gimble is very delicate and super-sensitve to weight.  I haven't noticed this since I switch to using Polar Pro filters.  When I first got my Mavic i shot probably an hours worth of video without any filters.  I don't recall seeing a glitch/stutter.  However the more I pay attention to the quality of shots now, my eyes are more trained to detect these things.  Long story short, for me, switching to a different (and more expensive) filter made the issue go away or less noticeable.
2017-8-24
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i get occasional wobble, its sort of random for me, but acts similar, my gimble is free of filters or debris and moves freely and floats around if i jiggle the aircraft, so nothing seems hung up..  my guess maybe small glitch.  or maybe i dont something wrong..
2017-8-24
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

If it happens only occasionally, then it's most likely just the gimbal overextending due to a gust of wind or sudden change in movement, especially in Sports Mode.
2017-8-24
Use props
andry_shin
lvl.2
Indonesia

not using any filter.. so its normal then? maybe avoid sudden move?
2017-8-24
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

andry_shin Posted at 2017-8-24 18:00
not using any filter.. so its normal then? maybe avoid sudden move?

Yes, it's normal when it just happens occasionally for the reasons I posted earlier. Fly gently when recording to avoid it and on windy days accept its likelihood.
2017-8-24
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

It seems Moire effect. The Moire pattern can sometimes be seen when looking at certain patterns, such as tile roofs. The influence of the Moire patterning can be relieved by decreasing the sharpness of camera. You can try to decrease the sharpness. It is recommended to lower the levels of sharpness one by one to observe the effect.
2017-8-24
Use props
andry_shin
lvl.2
Indonesia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-24 21:24
It seems Moire effect. The Moire pattern can sometimes be seen when looking at certain patterns, such as tile roofs. The influence of the Moire patterning can be relieved by decreasing the sharpness of camera. You can try to decrease the sharpness. It is recommended to lower the levels of sharpness one by one to observe the effect.

i can accept & understand the moire effect, but my concern is the jitter/glitch/popping movement the camera 1-2 frames, (video 1 can see the shapes of the shadow bottom area also jitter ) is this normal for mavic?
2017-8-25
Use props
R Kamedes
New
Flight distance : 105348 ft
United States

The other thing that can perceived as a glitch is the autofocus.  I fly with autofocus on most of the time and while in flight I'll tap on the auto focus.  The result is something that can be perceived as a glitch.   I'm not sure if wind has much to do with this phenomenon (glitches).  I've flown in pretty windy conditions (not crazy windy) and my shots are as smooth as silk, without glitches (it's actually amazing how well both the bird and the gimbal work). Considering all the adverse conditions that the craft is up against, it's a wonder you can even get great looking video.

One more thing to consider is making adjustment to get your shots as cinematic as possible.  There are several YouTube vids that discuss how to adjust the gimbal, yaw, rudder etc.  They really do help, but your craft isn't as sporty anymore and less responsive (which I don't mind).  Search for "Mavic Pro settings" or "Mavic Pro Gimbal" on YouTube and check out some of some of the videos.  Experiment and find out what works best for you.  Finally remember that some imperfections can be taken out in editing.   The first two videos you post look almost like the gimbal is catching.  Try doing a recalibration of the gimbal and if you keep having the issue, run this by DJI.  In the meantime, experiment by checking out those videos and playing with some settings.  That might solve most of your issues  or eliminate them (fingers crossed!)
2017-8-25
Use props
andry_shin
lvl.2
Indonesia

R Kamedes Posted at 2017-8-25 23:11
The other thing that can perceived as a glitch is the autofocus.  I fly with autofocus on most of the time and while in flight I'll tap on the auto focus.  The result is something that can be perceived as a glitch.   I'm not sure if wind has much to do with this phenomenon (glitches).  I've flown in pretty windy conditions (not crazy windy) and my shots are as smooth as silk, without glitches (it's actually amazing how well both the bird and the gimbal work). Considering all the adverse conditions that the craft is up against, it's a wonder you can even get great looking video.

One more thing to consider is making adjustment to get your shots as cinematic as possible.  There are several YouTube vids that discuss how to adjust the gimbal, yaw, rudder etc.  They really do help, but your craft isn't as sporty anymore and less responsive (which I don't mind).  Search for "Mavic Pro settings" or "Mavic Pro Gimbal" on YouTube and check out some of some of the videos.  Experiment and find out what works best for you.  Finally remember that some imperfections can be taken out in editing.   The first two videos you post look almost like the gimbal is catching.  Try doing a recalibration of the gimbal and if you keep having the issue, run this by DJI.  In the meantime, experiment by checking out those videos and playing with some settings.  That might solve most of your issues  or eliminate them (fingers crossed!)

hi thans for response, yes i tried some of those setting works nice, but the glitches catch my eye, even when the movement is quite steady

actually i already sent it back to my seller / vendor because of this issue, been like 2 month my mavic check by them.. and they say it working fine.. so i wanted to know how others mavic behave up there in the sky..

this device was quite expensive for me so im expecting some nice footage without glitches 1 or 2 frame..

yes i saw some mavic fly on the mountin, beach with windy condition even further range, still the quality is very good.

sorry for bad grammar*
2017-8-26
Use props
andry_shin
lvl.2
Indonesia

bump this threads up, need more info about this glitch movement camera
2017-8-27
Use props
andry_shin
lvl.2
Indonesia

anyone? is this issue common for mavic?
2017-8-29
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

andry_shin Posted at 2017-8-25 05:52
i can accept & understand the moire effect, but my concern is the jitter/glitch/popping movement the camera 1-2 frames, (video 1 can see the shapes of the shadow bottom area also jitter ) is this normal for mavic?

Is the drone doing a brake at that time? If so, our engineers confirm that is normal. Or if it is not the case, could you please export the original video from the SD card and I'll also help to check? Thank you.
2017-8-31
Use props
andry_shin
lvl.2
Indonesia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-31 00:11
Is the drone doing a brake at that time? If so, our engineers confirm that is normal. Or if it is not the case, could you please export the original video from the SD card and I'll also help to check? Thank you.

yes i can share the video in this link compress_video

at second 34 - 36, glitch movement ,
minute 3:50 - 3:53, glitch movement
minute 13: 34 (jello effect on the top area)
2017-8-31
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

andry_shin Posted at 2017-8-31 19:17
yes i can share the video in this link compress_video

at second 34 - 36, glitch movement ,

Thanks for the feedback, the video is very similar to the one that I had confirmed with our engineers who said it was normal. But I'll transfer this video again. Will reply you once I heard from them. Appreciate your patience.
2017-9-1
Use props
andry_shin
lvl.2
Indonesia

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-1 01:47
Thanks for the feedback, the video is very similar to the one that I had confirmed with our engineers who said it was normal. But I'll transfer this video again. Will reply you once I heard from them. Appreciate your patience.

thankss, i look forward to it
2017-9-1
Use props
jburkett
lvl.2

Hong Kong

this is normal behavior that the gimbal would  shake when mavic is braking.
2017-9-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

andry_shin Posted at 2017-9-1 19:48
thankss, i look forward to it

Sorry for I am getting back late, please refer to the reply on 17#, it's from our engineers and they confirmed that is normal.
2017-9-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules