12Next >
20146 45 2014-10-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gthompson
New

Canada

Hello,

I have had my Phantom 2 Vision Plus for a few months now.  Today, I was flying and had a major crash.  I started normally, performed my calibrations, waited for 8 satellites to connect and started flying on full green lights.  I was flying normally hovering at around 65-70' taking some pictures.  I went to make a subtle adjustment to take another picture when my drone suddenly took a full speed upward banking arc and crashed into the ground at full speed.  It happened so fast I had no time to react to try to save it in anyway.  I found it with the camera lying a few feet away, torn completely loose from the gimbal, all blades broken, battery a few feet away with the cover plate off and some structural damage to one arm.  Now for my question.  Is this a complete loss to me or can someone somehow hook up to it and determine what caused the sudden loss of control and it be possibly covered for repairs?  Are repairs possible? Just not sure what to do.  Any help would be appreciated.

So disappointed.
2014-10-16
Use props
flybyvideopros
lvl.1

United States

I had a similar experience. we you using self locking props? a loose nut will do it every time.
2014-10-16
Use props
Gthompson
New

Canada

I was using the stock nuts.  It flew perfectly for 5-10 minutes before this happened.
2014-10-16
Use props
DJI-Sophie
lvl.2

China

Sorry to hear that. Please contact your nearest service center: http://www.dji.com/support
2014-10-17
Use props
Gthompson
New

Canada

DJI-Sophie Posted at 2014-10-17 16:56
Sorry to hear that. Please contact your nearest service center: http://www.dji.com/support

I'm relatively new to the DJI world so excuse my ignorance but is there any way to find out what could have caused the loss of control?  Some sort of black box so to speak?  Without knowing I'll be quite nervous of it occurring again if I do get it fixed.
2014-10-17
Use props
smcbrearty
lvl.3

Canada

Gthompson,

What version of the phantom are you using?  If you are using a gopro, it is VERY important to make sure that the WIFI is turned off.  I was lucky enough to find this out without any props on the phantom during testing.

Where were you when this happened?  Were you near radio towers? Police or Fire station?  These places have very high radio signals that could also interfere.

2014-10-17
Use props
swomilan
lvl.4

Mexico

smcbrearty@roge Posted at 2014-10-17 23:39
Gthompson,

What version of the phantom are you using?  If you are using a gopro, it is VERY importa ...

P2V+ , it's mentioned in the OP.
Motor failure, ESC failure, flight controller failure,....  many possible causes.
2014-10-17
Use props
Gthompson
New

Canada

smcbrearty@roge Posted at 2014-10-17 23:39
Gthompson,

What version of the phantom are you using?  If you are using a gopro, it is VERY importa ...

I have the stock vision camera.  I was about a km away from a small power generation facility but didn't get any closer to it than that.  Biggest thing I want to know is whether or not they can somehow find out if it was me who was at fault or if something went wrong with the drone.  Never had an issue before.  Also, how do I get it repaired and do I have to foot the whole bill if it was some kind of mechanical failure.
2014-10-17
Use props
Gthompson
New

Canada

The direction it suddenly took makes me think one of the prop motors suddenly failed.
2014-10-17
Use props
DroneDude
New

Canada

I had an almost identical experience a week ago. Being quite familiar with the controls/calibration and operation of my Phantom 2 Vision Plus in Naza mode, I have been impressed with the faultless accuracy of control up to this point.  I too was flying normally hovering at around 40-50' with full green on GPS when I went to make a subtle adjustment to change direction. The Phantom suddenly rocketed at full throttle horizontally in a banking arc, hit a tree and crashed into a rooftop 150' away.  The controls were completely unresponsive. Fortunately there was minimal damage since the flat roof was close to the tree, but I'm concerned about safety when this kind of thing happens.

Is there any way to install a flight recorder? Since that incident, I've noticed the Phantom will suddenly turn a few degrees (yaw) left and right in jerky manner every minute or two. This doesn't seem to affect flight, but is noticeable when hovering. Software is all up to date on the transmitter and Phantom.
2014-10-20
Use props
swomilan
lvl.4

Mexico

Did you change the transmitter batteries after the incident?  
2014-10-20
Use props
Filiep
lvl.2

Belgium

Hello pilots,

I can not imagine that an international company like DJI will not resolve this problem. It requires perhaps some further research before they can offer a "suitable" solution. Of course, there is the problem in order to fulfill this solution for all users but if major car brands succeed then DJI must also be able, no? They can not afford to do nothing and then launch the Phantom 3....!!?? DJI people read this forum also and need to be aware of the common strength of there Phantom Vision+ users in order to address this worldwide and deliver negative publicity!!!!!!! Or am I just naive? And we do need to conspire against DJI all together?

Please comment your line of thoughts !

Best regards!
2014-10-20
Use props
DJI-Sophie
lvl.2

China

Gthompson Posted at 2014-10-17 22:21
I'm relatively new to the DJI world so excuse my ignorance but is there any way to find out what c ...

Do you have a video of the accident? Please contact your nearest service center and send us the video for better analysis.
2014-10-20
Use props
DJI-Sophie
lvl.2

China

Filiep Posted at 2014-10-21 02:28
Hello pilots,

I can not imagine that an international company like DJI will not resolve this proble ...

Hi Filiep, thanks for your valuable suggestion. The aim of this forum is to collect feedbacks and suggestions from our customers like you. We are paying close attention on your words, and taking every valuable suggestion into consideration to improve our products.
2014-10-20
Use props
Gthompson
New

Canada

DJI-Sophie Posted at 2014-10-21 09:02
Do you have a video of the accident? Please contact your nearest service center and send us the vi ...

No video unfortunately.  I was taking photos at the time that it occurred.  I'm just boxing it up now to send it to DJI to have a look at it.  Do I need to send the remote with the unit when it goes for repairs?
2014-10-20
Use props
Gthompson
New

Canada

Filiep Posted at 2014-10-21 02:28
Hello pilots,

I can not imagine that an international company like DJI will not resolve this proble ...

I agree with you Filiep.  It is definitely in their best interest to address any potential issues in order for the market to continue to expand.  Too many incidents will cause legislation that will significantly reduce the applications that these units can be used in.  That being said, I was extremely impressed with this UAV and hadn't had a single issue with it up until this point.  I just hope I get some sort of follow up on what could have caused the issue in order for me to have confidence with it when flying once again.
2014-10-20
Use props
DJI-Sophie
lvl.2

China

Gthompson Posted at 2014-10-21 09:46
No video unfortunately.  I was taking photos at the time that it occurred.  I'm just boxing it up  ...

If the remote controller has no issue, then you do not need to send it.
2014-10-20
Use props
John777
New

United States

Gthompson Posted at 2014-10-21 09:51
I agree with you Filiep.  It is definitely in their best interest to address any potential issues  ...

I too had a very similiar accident, flying about 25' when the unit excellerated and simply lost control the unit veered right excelerated into a tree. No idea why, although I am newbe I am thinking I did not calibrate to the sats.
2014-10-21
Use props
swomilan
lvl.4

Mexico

John you don't calibrate for Sats, you calibrate the magnetic compass and a bad compass calibration may cause an unstable position hold but should not result into the unit veering suddenly.  Loosing GPS lock and going below 6 Satellites will result in the unit going into Atti only mode at which point the unit can be carried away by wind if no corrections are made by the pilot.
Tip for a Newbie, start flying in wide open areas without trees or other obstruction and don't go high until you get a good feel for it.  
2014-10-21
Use props
Dragonrider
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Sophie Posted at 2014-10-21 09:08
Hi Filiep, thanks for your valuable suggestion. The aim of this forum is to collect feedbacks and  ...

I have been a member of this forum for a little while now.  It's part of my research before I purchase a Phantom Vision 2+ in the near future.  When I first came to this forum, there never seemed to be any input from DJI.  Tonight I have seen several responses from you Sophie and Blair.  It appears to me that DJI is taking this forum very seriously as a means for good customer feedback and an opportunity to educate the customers as well.  The Phantom, any series, is a very complicated piece of equipment and we users should take that into consideration when we are disappointed with the performance of the Phantom. I for one believe DJI  is taking the right steps to support their customers and improve their products.  I am looking forward to purchasing my Phantom.
2014-10-21
Use props
John777
New

United States

swomilan Posted at 2014-10-21 21:46
John you don't calibrate for Sats, you calibrate the magnetic compass and a bad compass calibration  ...

Thanks swomilan for the reply - so even if I did not calibrate for the magnetic compass are your saying that it should produce a  "unstable position hold"? I can tell you the weather conditions were ideal, no wind at all. As far as the newbie tip, yep I had plently of room on a open golf course fairway with trees in the distance. This unit simply increased power elevated and banked right and went off into the distance and found trees. I am thankfull nothing worse. This display behavior makes me lose any confidience in controling the unit. Is there any advice or troubleshotting technique one can provide that might help me get control. Apprecaite it.
2014-10-21
Use props
DJI-Sophie
lvl.2

China

Dragonrider Posted at 2014-10-22 09:39
I have been a member of this forum for a little while now.  It's part of my research before I purc ...

Thanks so much for your support and understanding. Your recognition gives me more courage and
enthusiasm to participate in the discussion. Thanks!!! Sincerely.
2014-10-21
Use props
insitb
lvl.3

Singapore

John777, no offense intended, but from your post it appears you're rather new to flying the Phantom. No worries of course, in a sense we all are.

That said, I recommend that you do a bit of background reading on the Phantom's flight controls, the general anti-calamity precautions and the preparations required for a glitch-free flight. There's some great info to be had there.

For instance, one of the things you can do when the Phantom goes on an uncommanded tear is to flip your S1 switch to ATTI. By doing this, you take out any satellite issues out of the equation. Your copter will still retain altitude and attitude, but it won't have satellite lock. This means that you and you alone will need to keep it from flying into any obstacles through its momentum or by the wind. This ATTI mode is like your escape hatch if and when your copter seems to have a mind on its own and is in danger of crashing.

If ATTI has no effect at all, then pull your "chicken-loop", i.e. go for Failsafe.

If your copter still doesn't respond, then it's time to consider the CSC kill-engine command. Of course you only go for this last ditch option when there are no people below. The copter will drop like a rock, but at this point you better take your chances at a crash fairly nearby rather than it disappearing in the distance.
2014-10-21
Use props
tmansonusa
lvl.2

United States

Gthompson Posted at 2014-10-18 03:46
The direction it suddenly took makes me think one of the prop motors suddenly failed.

Your response got my attention.  The OP wrote "upward banking arc."  How do you feel that could be caused by a motor loss?
2014-10-22
Use props
tmansonusa
lvl.2

United States

DroneDude Posted at 2014-10-21 01:33
I had an almost identical experience a week ago. Being quite familiar with the controls/calibration  ...

I notice two differences between your experience and the OP's. Yours was a "banking" motion (implying away and down).  The OP wrote "upward banking arc."  These sound significantly different to me only because the vertical component and indicate different failure modes.
2014-10-22
Use props
bob3
New

United States

I have the Phantom 2 vision plus+, Had my share of issues. Fortunately so far I have had very Good services and support from both US HOBBY in Las Vegas & DJI support. I can see an improvement in technical support and repairs, keep up the good work. bob from NC
2014-10-31
Use props
alessandromanun
New

France

Hi folk,
I bought my new P2V+ two days ago... It a pity I didn't read before this forum... I'm not sure I would have boughs it as well. When I spend more than 1000€ for a product, I expect it works perfectly. This product has a serious issue with GPS. I did the mod (even double foil), but no improvement to register.
What to do?
Flying with 5/6 sats, and than back to 5... i don't know if to keep it...

2014-11-2
Use props
Filiep
lvl.2

Belgium

Go for Naza-M mode and fly in ATTI-mode... and... cross your fingers... like I do!
2014-11-2
Use props
milanmikus
New

Spain

Listen guys I had a same experience like GThomson NOW!!!...Okay Im a new into this thing but i'm not stupid before i bought Ph2v+ i checked so many videos on youtube that you can imagine ...and iwas studying this Phantom properly and all the settings all the guys who crashed etc....... I have to say im not rich and i have to borrow money for this model ....never mind.....i bought it and i was flying in open areas at all time until i get use to it...so i get a confidence because its just a great great machine...and i really trust it..... even some of my friends want to buy it too......but then my flyght number 12 came (and from checking this post i realize I made a  mistake ) i had only 5 SATELITES lock on my GPS...... so I took him to heaven and i saw on my android that it is not stable then usual and it is moveing guite fast  from side to side but i was high and i was not afraid.... then i capture things i wanted  and i want him to back down but he was under control... he was flying from place to place from side to side unbelievable(it was a big wind mill)  I try to control him but it was difficult because wind always take him somewhere (and i was in the city close to people, river and trees) wind was playing with him like with a feather.....so i tryied to take him up on sky as high as i can so he can return home but even that doesnt help because it was not stable so i was afraid i will land into the rivier or to the trees ...so i took a control back again and i manage to get him very colse to me like 50 meters but then  again a wind took him away and i was checking on my samsung galaxy 4 if i have a sigal and stuff but then i look up for him an he take right in a front of me Booom DOWN so FAST i havent seen i just tried to get him high but no reaction what so ever .!!!!CONECTION BROKE..... i saw him going down and i was pleasing a GOD to not hurt anybody because i was int city ...believe me i was so scared and i think about it all the time......luckly i saw where he goes .....i was runninig and i get ther in 10 minutes...NOBODY was HURT i DIDNT do any DAMAGE to windows, cars or whatsoever....my phantom was crashed battey out..... camera few meters away broken properalas and one rotor done ...... i was so happy that I didnt kill anybody and so sad at the same time that you can not imagine.................NOW i read some post on this issue so i guess i could handle a situation better.......HOW COME THAT DJI DIDNT MAKE A VIDEO ABOUT WHAT TO DO IN THIS KIND OF SITUATION??? WHEN YOU SHOULD NOT FLY OR WHAT TO EXPECT FROM SATELITIES ETC........... AND HOW TO GET OUT FROM THIS KIND OF SITUATION???? the  IDEA I COULD REALLY HURT SOMEBODY JUST CAN NOT LEAVE MY MIND!!!...Im REALLY REALLY DISSAPOINTED.
2014-11-2
Use props
rob_dvd
New

South Africa

DJI-Sophie Posted at 2014-10-21 09:02
Do you have a video of the accident? Please contact your nearest service center and send us the vi ...

My Phantom 2 did this as well in December. It crashed so badly that it broke my brand new GoPro 4.
I have just purchased a new Phantom and  another GoPro 4 and it keeps doing the same. I have a shoot planned in a game reserve next week and I am really afraid to fly this thing! Please help DJI!
2014-12-27
Use props
eastwell1
lvl.1

United Kingdom

had same problem with mine its a total loss read my thread lost at sea
2014-12-28
Use props
michael.haws
lvl.2

United States

DroneDude Posted at 2014-10-21 01:33
I had an almost identical experience a week ago. Being quite familiar with the controls/calibration  ...

You can purchase a flight recorder ...   DJI IOSD Mark II ...  I purchased one to help diagnose a problem I was having and it worked quite well.    Too bad it is not included with every phantom.
2014-12-28
Use props
knowonecares
lvl.1
United States

milanmikus@inbo Posted at 2014-11-3 09:12
Listen guys I had a same experience like GThomson NOW!!!...Okay Im a new into this thing but i'm not ...

See the Phantom Pilot Training Guide, available on the DJI website under Support tab "downloads".
2014-12-28
Use props
j.blankvoort
lvl.1

Netherlands

Today my Phantom Vision 2 + crashed.
I was normally flying it, in nice weather (bit cold, but sunny and no wind)
At about 50% battery level I wanted to descent (Phantom was right above me, at about 200 meter hight)
When descending to about 150 meter, suddenly the Phantom seemed to fall over and was not controllable anymore.
It crashed about 20 meters away from me, completely damaged ....
Camera broken, connectors on the main board broken or bent, 1 motor bent, over broken)

The Phantom has cost me about € 1000.- , there will probably no way to get some kind of warranty on this?
I didn't do anything wrong, seems that the Phantom is not reliable .

So far, I have enjoyed flying it, and made some nice pictures.
But I don't understand how it is possible that it completely loses control.
Some of my friends were considering buying a DJI Phantom as well, but now I will advice them not to....

2014-12-28
Use props
allbritt
lvl.2

United States

J.blankvoort - Sounds like the dreaded vortex ring state.  ( descinding into your prop wash ).  You can read about VRS on youtube and elsewhere in the DJI Forum.

2014-12-28
Use props
MacCool
lvl.3

United States

allbritt@verizo Posted at 2014-12-29 02:34
J.blankvoort - Sounds like the dreaded vortex ring state.  ( descinding into your prop wash ).  You  ...

A near miss for me has left me always descending while moving a little off-angle, either forward or laterally, rather than descending straight down.  I think the Vision Plus might be more susceptible to this because of its lower power-to-weight ratio with decreased ability to punch out of the downwash. Just a guess. Maybe the version 3 with it's more powerful motors might be able to recover faster, it the pilot recognizes it in time and can correct.

It seems to me that a quadrocopter could be more problematic than a single rotor since it's going to create more turbulence, and there is now the possibility that one or two rotors might stall before the others thereby throwing the aircraft into a roll rather than just settling straight down at a higher rate such as what happens in single rotor craft when "settling with power".
2014-12-28
Use props
Daninho
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Germany

milanmikus@inbo Posted at 2014-11-3 09:12
Listen guys I had a same experience like GThomson NOW!!!...Okay Im a new into this thing but i'm not ...

This is just common sense not to fly without GPS reception. I think its also written in the manual and remember if its in GPS mode, you have the problem that sometimes your position can "jump". It means the phantom think its way off its normal position and it try to reach this position, its like an GPS signal error. You can try and switch the Att mode then and deactivate the IOC features. Before your start the phantom you need to wait for the double rapid flash sequence and a solid green blinking status LED.
2014-12-30
Use props
bbonkk
New
United States

I have had a 50% rate of crashing. One by pilot error and the other 3 by unknown errors. I have included a video that hopefully shows a crash that occured last week after 6 minutes of flight. The lights were green green 1 sec green green. Control was lost and lucky not much damage this time. The first crash caused a bent shell. You tube video:  
2015-1-3
Use props
videoguy
lvl.3
United States

Been doing a lot of reading on the forum and elsewhere on the net.  Crashes of late model PV+ is becoming very common and the most reasonable cause is that the wires connecting the esc and motor are undersized....the insulation melts......a short is created between two wires..........killing the motor.........and the drone goes out of control. I have a new PV+ Vers. 3 with about 15 flights.......I am going to inspect the wires and see if there are any signs of overheating before I have a serious problem.. So far it has been perfect.
2015-1-3
Use props
guymacdonald
lvl.4

Australia

j.blankvoort@kp Posted at 2014-12-29 01:36
Today my Phantom Vision 2 + crashed.
I was normally flying it, in nice weather (bit cold, but sunny  ...

You need to post your situation and add it to....

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... amp;page=1#pid23690

Regards

Guy MacDonald
2015-1-3
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules