Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spark and Goggle - User feedback
1051 18 2017-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sparky_17
Captain
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Hi, thinking of getting the Goggle to add to my Spark

What is the general feedback for those that have tried them since last update
2017-8-24
Use props
Charles Adams
First Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I get my goggle's delivered today , I'll let you know when I have the chance to fly!
2017-8-24
Use props
Sparky_17
Captain
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-24 11:52
I get my goggle's delivered today , I'll let you know when I have the chance to fly!

look forward to your feedback .. keep me posted.
2017-8-24
Use props
Charles Adams
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sparky_17 Posted at 2017-8-24 11:57
look forward to your feedback .. keep me posted.

Given the usual delivery time, I probably won't get my goggles until late this evening.  THEN I need to charge them, update them, read the manuals (twice), and do anything requited to set up and use the googles.  When I do decide that I can fly, I have to find someone who is willing to be a "visual observer", as FAA requires that someone have LOS on the craft at all times (goggles do not count).  So it may be a while before I have some real experience.
2017-8-24
Use props
Ardenno
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1877910 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I flew today with spark and goggles. I had three times disconnections from goggles (three batteries used so around 34 min fun). Mostly that happen when recording my flight and using AC head control or gimbal control. I had to reconnect OTG wire after every disconnection which is not comfortable stuff. I used smooth 720p. Picture was good no big lags so its possible  to fly in sport mode but I was careful because its strange when you can't see your drone (I've never had any goggles b4). There is distance restriction 50m maybe its possible to turn off this I dont know. I didnt test how high I could fly. When you connecting googles on OTG your smartphone or tablet will be disconnected from wifi aircraft. Thats problem when you giving someone goggles you can see AC status like battery and GPS status. I noticed some warnings about gimbal overloaded (never had before) even before start but this is rather related to latest FM update not the goggles. Battery in the goggles is fabulous lost maybe 10% after this.  
2017-8-24
Use props
fansa7dc5944
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

May I suggest. Do not use Goggles directly connect to RC. As you discovered. You lost connection with your mobile. You have better get iDevice connecting via wifi to rc then iDevice to Goggles via HDMI. It is much safer. You have Go 4 at all time including Go4 mirror at Goggles.
2017-8-24
Use props
Charles Adams
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I received my goggles, and as expected I had to spend some time charging and setting up.  I had enough time to "fly" in my backyard for about 5 minutes.  I connected to RC using OTG cables, and I didn't really have any opportunity to test the reliability of the connection.  I really only had time to experience the immersive quality and image quality.

I hope to try some other advanced modes today (using the goggles to control the camera and drone).  My purpose in purchasing these were two-fold.  To help me take better pics and videos, and to have a better display to view in sunlight.  My very first impressions on very short flight time is that it will serve both these purposes nicely.

I'd also like to find out if I can connect the goggles (via otg) AND a phone (via wifi) simultaneously.  I didn't find anything in the manuals or online that stated whether or not this works.  The use case would be to allow someone else to experience the goggles while I fly (and can still see the normal view on the phone).
2017-8-25
Use props
fansa7dc5944
Second Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

No you can't. When Goggles get connected to RC the mobile wifi connection will be disconnected. That is why I suggested to connect mobile to rc via wifi and Goggles to mobile via HDMI.
2017-8-25
Use props
fansa7dc5944
Second Officer
  • >>>
Thailand

It seems that thr RC processor does not powerful enough to feed video output to two channel, usb and wifi simultaneously. This is same to P4/P4P rc connection, though the P4 RC has 2 usb but only main usb for mobile connection can be use. The exception is you can install HDMI output module to RC of P4 which makes RC can send video feed out to usb and hdmi at thr same time. But no for Spark.
2017-8-25
Use props
Charles Adams
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-8-25 05:08
It seems that thr RC processor does not powerful enough to feed video output to two channel, usb and wifi simultaneously. This is same to P4/P4P rc connection, though the P4 RC has 2 usb but only main usb for mobile connection can be use. The exception is you can install HDMI output module to RC of P4 which makes RC can send video feed out to usb and hdmi at thr same time. But no for Spark.

K thanks.  That means that when I'm using goggles, I'm using ONLY goggles.
2017-8-25
Use props
Ardenno
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1877910 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Great tip I need to buy this adapter hdmi-usb and try. I think functions like gimbal control or drone control will be inoperative from goggles when will connected like this.
2017-8-25
Use props
Charles Adams
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Second flight observations...  When flying your spark with DJI Goggles, you WILL have flight distance restrictions imposed (50m distance and 30m height).  There is no setting to turn this off in the goggles.  I experimented in the field, and found that if I connect the phone and app to the spark, and then switch to the goggles, the flight restrictions are lifted.  I came home and did some research, and this video confirmed my findings (it's about the mavic, but same principal applies):

I'm not happy about this, because there's such a limited amount of battery to work with, I hate to waste juice opening connecting with the phone and app, and then switching to the goggles.

DJI:  Maybe consider an option to lift the restriction from the goggles?  I believe it was "added" in the latest firmware, I'm sure its for important reasons, but it sure would be nice to go through a validation one time and lift the restrictions forever.

My second observation is that flying the craft through the goggles (head movement) was a bit awkward.  My "center of reference" kept changing on me, so I kept having to rotate my body to make my forward view the "center" (where it's neutral on the craft and the craft doesn't turn one way or the other).  I suspect that this is me and not any defect, and I'm going to charge up and experiment some more.
2017-8-25
Use props
TranceMist
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1661591 ft
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-25 13:09
Second flight observations...  When flying your spark with DJI Goggles, you WILL have flight distance restrictions imposed (50m distance and 30m height).  There is no setting to turn this off in the goggles.  I experimented in the field, and found that if I connect the phone and app to the spark, and then switch to the goggles, the flight restrictions are lifted.  I came home and did some research, and this video confirmed my findings (it's about the mavic, but same principal applies):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5Z2SughGIM&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for this information. I was considering buying the goggles but with this silly limitation there is no way I will buy them. I know you found a way around it, but what if DJI then blocks that in an update?

I wonder if this limitation only exists on the Spark and not the Mavic. It's a completely different setup on the Mavic (occusync directly to the goggles, no cable) where you can use your phone at the same time.
2017-8-25
Use props
Charles Adams
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

TranceMist Posted at 2017-8-25 13:34
Thanks for this information. I was considering buying the goggles but with this silly limitation there is no way I will buy them. I know you found a way around it, but what if DJI then blocks that in an update?

I wonder if this limitation only exists on the Spark and not the Mavic. It's a completely different setup on the Mavic (occusync directly to the goggles, no cable) where you can use your phone at the same time.

The video is for the Mavic.  So it exists for that model as well as the spark.

I'm not happy with the limitation, because I'm going to have to connect the phone and app with each change of battery, and that little bit of time is going to consume precious battery power.

I intend to do some more testing and experimenting.  Now that I know what to expect and what to do, maybe it won't be so bad.
2017-8-25
Use props
Charles Adams
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

My third outing was more successful.  I calibrated the goggles before heading out, and the head movements were more "stable" (neutral center didn't change on me).  Also, setting up with phone and app first wasn't so bad.  Still not happy, but now that I know what I'm doing it went much faster.
2017-8-25
Use props
Charles Adams
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

fansa7dc5944 Posted at 2017-8-25 05:02
No you can't. When Goggles get connected to RC the mobile wifi connection will be disconnected. That is why I suggested to connect mobile to rc via wifi and Goggles to mobile via HDMI.

Does spark rc support usb to hdmi?
2017-8-25
Use props
Supong
Second Officer
Thailand

You can fly with no range limited. Connect your mobile to rc via wifi first. Do not connect Goggles at this step. Link rc to Spark then connect Goggles to rc, OTG to rc side and micro usb to Goggles. Thrn rc will disconnect itself from mobile wifi and communicate with Goggles instead. Yoy can fly freely.
Fly with care.
2017-8-25
Use props
Supong
Second Officer
Thailand

And No, Spark rc does nor support usb to HDMI. You will need mobile device that can link to rc via wifi efficiently and support screen image output to hdmi via usb or equipped hdmi port like K1. I have K1 but never test with Spark.
2017-8-25
Use props
Supong
Second Officer
Thailand

Do not forget to update Goggles firmware to .1000. It wll display signal strength between rc and Spark. You need this feature. Use DJI Assistant 2 to update the firmware.
2017-8-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules