Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Thinking of purchasing an Osmo +
1423 29 2017-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mtnlandpix
Captain
  • >>>
United States

I have a couple of DJI Drones and have DJI Go 4 on my iPhone.   I am thinking of purchasing an Osmo +.  Can I have both DJI Go 4 and DJI Go apps on the same iPhone without issue?  If this is a dumb question, I apologize in advance.  Also any advice on the Osmo + would be appreciated.
2017-8-24
Use props
dennish
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Yes you can have both - I regret buying the Osmo+ because of the constant focus issues since release.  Read through the forum.  I am happier with my Crane and Panasonic Lumix - also with my Hero 5 and WG2.  That being said - I still try to use it and haven't given up quite yet....  But both Apps work switching from my OSMO and Mavic.
2017-8-24
Use props
mtnlandpix
Captain
  • >>>
United States

dennish Posted at 2017-8-24 17:05
Yes you can have both - I regret buying the Osmo+ because of the constant focus issues since release.  Read through the forum.  I am happier with my Crane and Panasonic Lumix - also with my Hero 5 and WG2.  That being said - I still try to use it and haven't given up quite yet....  But both Apps work switching from my OSMO and Mavic.

Thank you for the advice.  I will tead through the forum.
2017-8-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

mtnlandpix Posted at 2017-8-24 18:08
Thank you for the advice.  I will tead through the forum.

They can be installed in one phone, but the DJI Go 4 must be closed completely when you run DJI Go.
2017-8-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

dennish Posted at 2017-8-24 17:05

We have a beta firmware of Osmo+ about the focus issue, would you like to have a try?
2017-8-25
Use props
dennish
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-25 01:58
We have a beta firmware of Osmo+ about the focus issue, would you like to have a try?

Hi Mindy,

I would love to beta test the firmware.  Anything at this point would help!  What do you need from me?
2017-8-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

dennish Posted at 2017-8-25 15:24
Hi Mindy,

I would love to beta test the firmware.  Anything at this point would help!  What do you need from me?

Please check the PM. Thanks.
2017-8-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Any luck so far?
2017-8-29
Use props
GroveTuckey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 264134 ft
United States

I was also thinking of buying one, is there a thread for the beta firmware that fixes the auto focus issue? I don't want to buy something that has issues.
2017-8-29
Use props
Ozgazl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 787077 ft
Japan

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-25 23:24
Please check the PM. Thanks.

Hi Mindy, could I also be given chance to try the beta? I have been having same focus issues and would be great to test out this new firmware.  Thanks, Gary
2017-8-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Ozgazl Posted at 2017-8-29 19:18
Hi Mindy, could I also be given chance to try the beta? I have been having same focus issues and would be great to test out this new firmware.  Thanks, Gary

Hi Gary, the firmware of Osmo+ has been released, please update at your most convenience.
2017-8-31
Use props
jesca55
lvl.1

Portugal

Hi, I bought Osmo+ recently. I am an amateur video user, but since 1989, and many camcorders (VHS, 8 and Hi8, miniDV). The concept seems very clever in the "paper" but so far I am quite disappointed. My iPhone 7 Plus with 6x digital zoom (and 2 lenses) has an incredible image and resolution. I was hoping that Osmo+ would be a lot better. Unfortunately needs a lot of prep before shooting. Assembling the Gimbal, connecting to the mobile. The zoom and pan is rather sensible and not that obvious to use. I am quite disappointed and somewhat regretting having spent 800€ in a gadget that is far from what I expected :/
2017-9-1
Use props
jesca55
lvl.1

Portugal

jesca55 Posted at 2017-9-1 05:05
Hi, I bought Osmo+ recently. I am an amateur video user, but since 1989, and many camcorders (VHS, 8 and Hi8, miniDV). The concept seems very clever in the "paper" but so far I am quite disappointed. My iPhone 7 Plus with 6x digital zoom (and 2 lenses) has an incredible image and resolution. I was hoping that Osmo+ would be a lot better. Unfortunately needs a lot of prep before shooting. Assembling the Gimbal, connecting to the mobile. The zoom and pan is rather sensible and not that obvious to use. I am quite disappointed and somewhat regretting having spent 800€ in a gadget that is far from what I expected :/

The need of using a mobile as "control" and viewfinder, seems interesting but is it rather complicated and impracticable sometimes. I had to get and old iPhone 5S (with a crack in the screen) offline (in flight mode) and no other apps. Using your "regular" or "daily use" phone is complicated. Messages coming or sms, phone calls, etc., will interfere the shooting process.
Another issue is the communication between Osmo and mobile. Sometimes has delays, the image freezes, which is uncomfortable.

Anyway, thanks for the support here, it is quite comforting to realize that DJI people is willing to improve and solve the problems

2017-9-1
Use props
LensmanDave
lvl.4

United Kingdom

Just flip your "daily use" phone to airplane mode when shooting. Takes half a second
2017-9-1
Use props
Smaxta
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9944 ft
Ukraine

LensmanDave Posted at 2017-9-1 05:27
Just flip your "daily use" phone to airplane mode when shooting. Takes half a second

And nobody will disturb you with an phone calls during your creative work ;)
I would rather use an BT handsfree for answering...
2017-9-1
Use props
jesca55
lvl.1

Portugal

jesca55 Posted at 2017-9-1 05:12
The need of using a mobile as "control" and viewfinder, seems interesting but is it rather complicated and impracticable sometimes. I had to get and old iPhone 5S (with a crack in the screen) offline (in flight mode) and no other apps. Using your "regular" or "daily use" phone is complicated. Messages coming or sms, phone calls, etc., will interfere the shooting process.
Another issue is the communication between Osmo and mobile. Sometimes has delays, the image freezes, which is uncomfortable.

BTW a film I made at Red Bull Air Race Porto, just while ago, using my iPhone 7 plus

I will put here later the various attempts made in the same port with the Osmo+
2017-9-1
Use props
Smaxta
lvl.1
Flight distance : 9944 ft
Ukraine

GroveTuckey Posted at 2017-8-29 16:59
I was also thinking of buying one, is there a thread for the beta firmware that fixes the auto focus issue? I don't want to buy something that has issues.

Yesterday an updated firmware was released, fixing focus issues. Now Osmo+ becoms reliable instrument
2017-9-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Smaxta Posted at 2017-9-1 05:51
Yesterday an updated firmware was released, fixing focus issues. Now Osmo+ becoms reliable instrument

Good to hear!
2017-9-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

jesca55 Posted at 2017-9-1 05:53
BTW a film I made at Red Bull Air Race Porto, just while ago, using my iPhone 7 plus
https://youtu.be/IjUUJCnzeNM

Nice video, thanks!
Did you have any gimbal?
2017-9-1
Use props
mtnlandpix
Captain
  • >>>
United States

I was the original poster in this thread.  I decided to purchase the original Osmo instead of the Osmo +.  I am happy with it so far.  I used an old Android phone, that I no longer use as a phone, with the Sim Card removed.  It works great with the Osmo.  I do real estate photography, and the Osmo is much easier to do a "walk-through" on a home than using my DSLR with a steady-cam setup.  I am still practicing, but the image stabilization using the gimbals is excellent.  Thanks to everyone for your advice.  
2017-9-1
Use props
Ozgazl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 787077 ft
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-31 02:34
Hi Gary, the firmware of Osmo+ has been released, please update at your most convenience.

thankyou and all working well
2017-9-2
Use props
ShellPhoto
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Osmo+ is a big letdown for me, annoyed I didn't just get the mobile, the Osmo+ is just to unreliable, something this price should just "work" even out of the box the video should be better it really takes to much to make it look acceptable, the app is terrible always crashing and if I do connect the signal is so bad I just give up...
Hopefully the latest update will be followed by something to fix these problems
2017-9-2
Use props
shoxer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2621 ft
Ireland

That's sad to read that almost a year after i bought osmo+ they did something with focus system. It's few months for me now after i sold it being angry about blurry footage. I even gave up editing the footage from holidays after I noticed too many blurred shots. Wrrr.. Now its GH4, G80 and crane to come soon. Mavic is still unbeatable!
2017-9-2
Use props
DonBishop
lvl.1
United States

The OSMO has left me disappointed over and over again.  Numerous corrupted files, and today? ... a video that looks like a single frame that plays for 30 seconds.  Nothing else.  It is unreliable.  I was going to put it on a shelf where it could be useful collecting dust, but there was an update, so I'm gonna give it one more shot.  I'll take another camera with me so I don't waste another day NOT getting the video I need.
2017-9-2
Use props
jesca55
lvl.1

Portugal

jesca55 Posted at 2017-9-1 05:53
https://youtu.be/IjUUJCnzeNM

Videos made using Osmo.

Quality is MUCH better than iPhone (as expected anyway!). Difficulty in following the planes and keeping them in the scene are quite obvious.

2017-9-5
Use props
jesca55
lvl.1

Portugal

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-9-1 06:33
Nice video, thanks!
Did you have any gimbal?

that video was made just holding the mobile (iPhone 7 Plus)

I just updated 2 videos made using the Osmo+

It is not straightforward to focus, zoom in/out and keep the plane centered in the scene
2017-9-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

jesca55 Posted at 2017-9-5 05:54
that video was made just holding the mobile (iPhone 7 Plus)

I just updated 2 videos made using the Osmo+

Aha. That explains the movement.
Thanks
2017-9-5
Use props
jesca55
lvl.1

Portugal

LensmanDave Posted at 2017-9-1 05:27

Thanks for that. I actually am using an old iPhone 5S, has a small crack on the screen, not too bad. Without SIM card, all apps removed and just wifi for comunicating with the Osmo.
2017-9-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

jesca55 Posted at 2017-9-5 05:53
Videos made using Osmo.

Quality is MUCH better than iPhone (as expected anyway!). Difficulty in following the planes and keeping them in the scene are quite obvious.

Much better indeed. Thanks!
2017-9-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

jesca55 Posted at 2017-9-5 05:53
Videos made using Osmo.

Much better indeed. Thanks!
2017-9-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules