weak/faulty props?
733 4 2017-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wildfyre
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72 ft

Australia

Has anyone ever purchased a set of weak/faulty genuine DJI props?

I recently replaced two props from quite minor chips.
After todays flight, both of the two new props are damaged. one blade of one is snapped and an one blade of the other is cracked clean through, other blades on the same propellors are fine.

I'm pleased to report the M600P continued to fly perfectly well, I had no idea I had damaged props until I landed.

It is possible I crashed in to something - I work above trees, but I would have thought I'd damage both blades if that was the case? I also think I would have noticed or heard, if I'd knocked into something. Also seems a bit coincidental that the propellers involved I just recently changed were the ones that got damaged. (<2hrs fly time)

2017-8-24
Use props
ricci2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61158 ft
  • >>>
Spain

hi, look with a magnifying lens at the trailing/ leading edge for chips missing around the break and cracked props, if there are very small bits missing from the lower face it looks like a strike but if you have missing chips on the upper edge it might be load fractures caused by stress fatigue, part failure. I have many hours on my blades with no chips at all so maybe your environment above the trees is being effected by the prop wash? As you say strange its the same props replaced though. do you have any additional equipment/ cables that might be making contact..sometimes the obvious is overlooked but I am sure you have done due diligence. I lost a bit of a prop because I left a lens cap on the top, could of kicked myself.  not sure thats been helpful.   ricci
2017-8-26
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Could you please post some pics for better assistance?
2017-8-27
Use props
Wildfyre
lvl.2
Flight distance : 72 ft

Australia

Pics attached.

I have to take off and land on gravel or rocks/ loose ground 90% of the time, so this is where the chips are coming in.

2017-9-5
Use props
ricci2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 61158 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Wildfyre Posted at 2017-9-5 20:38
Pics attached.

I have to take off and land on gravel or rocks/ loose ground 90% of the time, so this is where the chips are coming in.

Hi,
That looks like a load sheer fracture from the picture, consistent with the laminates being pulled apart.
A strike would fracture across the blade because the laminates run along the prop length in my early props anyway and that tare has had  an upward longitudinal force  applied similar to the pressure of pushing the air down in a normal design manner. There is no missing part on the point of origin, i.e. start of fracture, there could be a weak lamination when it was in the autoclave if that is how its made or a poor batch of glue.  Looking at the lower picture, it looks like a product failure , its difficult without better analysis.
If I had it in the lab I could confirm this, I think DJI should ask to see the dead props just to illuminate a manufacturing issue or not..  The potential for early onset fatigue failure if that is what caused the problem has grave implications for us using the machine commercially and in areas of a sensitive nature, i.e. people and machinery we  should take special note because if you have not broken a prop yet the replacement schedule means you will eventually be putting replacement props on.  
Is there any chance it could of been a prop strike?

ricci
2017-9-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules