Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
after firmware and app update bad video and FPV quality
3511 36 2017-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
iceman#1
lvl.3
Germany

Hi everybody,

my name is Tobias and I'm from Germany. This is my first post on this forum and I'm facing the following problem, in which I need help. I also contacted the DJI support but I read that often they are not of any help.

I got my spark fly more combo at the end of June. I did one update of the RC and drone after unboxing. Since then I flew with OTG only and WIFI is disabled. I'm using an android phone which is dedicaded to flying the spark only. I never activated WIFI again after the first update at the end of June. So basically I did no updated on the app and on the drone since. The Spark was performing great. Video quality was amazing, all was fine. Three days ago I chose to enable wifi on my phone and did the app and drone update. Did all that with batteries also (second battery through DJI Assistant). Drone and RC is connecting flawlessly, flying is also possible.
BUT:
since the updates I have a very bad FPV quality. It seems not to be 720p anymore. Besides the reduced quality there are lags all over, although the drone is flying great. I also tried indoors with 2m distance and problem stays. After checking the videos from the SDcard I see that the video quality is bad too. Seems not like 1080p anymore. Also there are short hick ups and some kind of shivering shakiness like the gimbal is vibarting or like the EIS is not working anymore. Not throughout the whole video, but every few seconds. I will upload two comparison videos later that day.

What  I will try to solve the problem myself:
1. uninstall and reinstall the app (android 4.1.5)
2. downgrade the app to 4.1.3
3. do a factory reset of the spark
4. do a refresh of the current spark firmware
5. do a downgrade of the spark firmware (if possible through DJI Assistant)

I would like to do more, but I don't know how:
A. how can I factory reset the RC?
B. how can I reflash/refresh the RC firmware?

Any advide from your side?
Thanks in advance

2017-8-24
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Please upload an original video from the SD card to the Dropbox for better assistance. It is not recommended to use the OTG cable, please connect your phone to the drone via WiFI. Besides, what mobile device are you using? Have you tried to run the APP when your phone is in the airplane mode? You can also try other mobile devices.
2017-8-25
Use props
iceman#1
lvl.3
Germany

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-25 01:39
Please upload an original video from the SD card to the Dropbox for better assistance. It is not recommended to use the OTG cable, please connect your phone to the drone via WiFI. Besides, what mobile device are you using? Have you tried to run the APP when your phone is in the airplane mode? You can also try other mobile devices.

Hi Diana,
thanks for your help. I'll upload the files later. I'm using the OPPO F1 Plus only in airplane mode with wifi disabled. I don't get your suggestions. I should connect RC to phone via wifi but enable airplane mode? Airplane mode means cell and wifi is off. So I assume you mean I should deactivate cell and enable wifi only.

I haven't had any change in hardware since the first flight of the spark. Same phone, same OTG cable, same RC, same drone. Even the same firmware of the phone (Android 5.1). I only changed software of your products (app, RC, drone) and you try to tell me that my phone might be the issue? So I might have to get a new phone because you changed your software?

I hope you read, that I haven't had any issues with OTG cable connection prior to the latest update. Quite contrary to your suggestion, I read all over the internet that the OTG connection is way more reliable, as the wifi between phone and RC might interfere with the wifi between RC and drone. But anyway, I'll try the non-OTG connection, if this solves the problem. Maybe you changed the software on purpose to force people not to use OTG anymore as it is too stable and violates the FCC or CE regulations of range.

sorry for my way of writing, we germans are a little picky when it comes to those problems
2017-8-25
Use props
S-e-ven
First Officer
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

"... Seems not like 1080p anymore..."

Check with VLC and there the bitrate.

Should be 22000-25000 kb/s
1920x1080

VLC : Tools, media information, statistics
2017-8-25
Use props
iceman#1
lvl.3
Germany

here are the videos:
google drive link

before the firmware update
DJI_0006.MP4 (filmed with high wind velocity - no problem)

after the FW update:
DJI_0010.MP4 (minute 00:00:39 shakiness clearly visible)
DJI_0014.MP4 (minute 00:00:07 and 00:00:29 shakiness clearly visible)
2017-8-25
Use props
iceman#1
lvl.3
Germany

S-e-ven Posted at 2017-8-25 04:15
"... Seems not like 1080p anymore..."

Check with VLC and there the bitrate.

it's 1080p and 23-25Mb/s it says. I checked again quality is fine as long it's not having the shakiness
2017-8-25
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

iceman#1 Posted at 2017-8-25 10:39
here are the videos:
google drive link

Enable the airplane mode first, then enable the WiFi, then you'll be able to connect to the WiFi. I always do this when I fly my Spark. For the videos, all videos have this issue or just a few of them? We've checked the video you provided,  it seems that the video was shot in a windy day with insufficient light,  I would recommend you set the shutter speed as 400, then try to shot a video in a windless day with sufficient light. See if it is the same.
2017-8-30
Use props
Spookymike
lvl.4
Germany

I noticed the same issues as you have. Poor video live stream with terrible lags. Also those sometimes appearing shackes in the video
2017-8-30
Use props
rickysuperdog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 929429 ft
Hong Kong

in 4.1.5 range was improved a bit but video transmit quality was drop a lot, always lag and drop but not disconnect.
2017-8-30
Use props
iceman#1
lvl.3
Germany

I got word from DJI Support and guess what they told me. "Right now the android app has problem" I should tryout an iOS device instead they said. Sure thing, I have so many iOS devices around me, I don't know which one to take first *shakingmyhead*

I found out which causes the shakiness in the actual video itself. it's bad lightning conditions. ones the sun light is very few or it's geting dark outside, the video gets a lot of shaking.
Also these very small/short hick ups, mostly visible while paning, is still present and I checked other spark videos on youtube, and you can find that on many of them. So movie like film material is not possible to produce. For family memories it's ok.
2017-9-19
Use props
djiuser_oUn3550
lvl.2
Flight distance : 50187 ft
United Kingdom

Really poor quality and loads of video lack. True, I can confirm. Also the range of video transmission is decreased.
2017-9-20
Use props
fansfab09683
New
Flight distance : 70203 ft
Canada

I have the exact same issues. My spark use to have 0 lag and never any freezing or scramble.  After the update there's about a 4 second lag and consent scramble.  I have always just used WiFi with remote.  Its so bad that I have to wait 4 to 5 seconds to turn my and see what direction I am facing

2017-9-21
Use props
LotusFan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48783 ft
United States

I have always had lag, before and after the latest update.  I keep waiting for the update that fixes it!   By the way, it is worst with the DJI Goggles, which requires use of an OTG cable!
2017-9-21
Use props
-OG1-
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1690 ft
United States

Same here, was fine before the mandatory fw update. Now tons of lag
2017-9-21
Use props
fans9ea9c44f
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

Same here also. I can add that phone also suffered badly but for unknown reason has recovered.
   Dji asked for flight log but not heard back.
2017-9-21
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

fans9ea9c44f Posted at 2017-9-21 23:27
Same here also. I can add that phone also suffered badly but for unknown reason has recovered.
   Dji asked for flight log but not heard back.

Sorry that I didn't see your thread before. Please update the needed information in your thread: https://forum.dji.com/thread-113608-1-1.html.
And we can help you locate the problem as soon as possible.
2017-9-22
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

LotusFan Posted at 2017-9-21 15:44
I have always had lag, before and after the latest update.  I keep waiting for the update that fixes it!   By the way, it is worst with the DJI Goggles, which requires use of an OTG cable!

LotusFan, please follow Diana's advice and change a mobile device for check. Please use the device in the recommended list.
I would not recommend you wear the bluetooth device around you, such as, apple watch.
Please try to change a channel and see if the image performance get better.

2017-9-22
Use props
fans9ea9c44f
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Dear Elektra, link above gives file not found??
2017-9-22
Use props
Kansas Boy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26145 ft
United States

I have noticed a increase with lag since the latest update as well.  Turning off Bluetooth helped but it still seems like it is worse since the upgrade to DJI Go 4.1.10 and 4.1.11.
2017-9-22
Use props
NukeSpark
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11033 ft
Gibraltar

I would sell the quad before i have to buy a IOS device lol get it sorted DJi
2017-9-22
Use props
fans9ea9c44f
lvl.4
United Kingdom

It's unacceptable to even suggest one must but ios for correct operation. Equally absurd is the expectation that a spark 2 might be better, although dji have not said this as far as I know.
My android phone, motorola g3 works fine, but samsung tablet not at all, although it was fine till last update.
But android is far more unpredictable by the time individual purveyors of devices have messed with it.
Apple has control throughout of their OS.
But none of this helps me, and it is the first and best 'beginner's drone'.
Their must be thousands of happy customers, so fixing mine ought to be so simple.

2017-9-22
Use props
fans3b8dd2c3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 399984 ft
Germany

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-9-22 01:05
LotusFan, please follow Diana's advice and change a mobile device for check. Please use the device in the recommended list.
I would not recommend you wear the bluetooth device around you, such as, apple watch.
Please try to change a channel and see if the image performance get better.

i have a compatible IOS and a Android device. The Transmission quality is
bad on both of them. it is not a problem with the phone devices, i am sure you can test it yourself with every phone and you will have the same result. so not suggest things to customer that will not solve that issue! Forward the issue to your engineer to fix that problem.
the idea of an update is to improve not to make things worst!
2017-9-22
Use props
fans1a7ec3b6
lvl.2
Flight distance : 61260 ft
Slovenia

I have iphone 6 and android and it is the same. Full lags, disconeting... before update I flow +200m and now.. after update I have lags and disconecting error from 20m. It is crazy! I would like to give them back this expensive super drone! I am so sorry that I bought this fly more combo.. I was thinking about mavic vs spark. And I made big mistake..
2017-9-23
Use props
Kansas Boy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 26145 ft
United States

Just to clarify:  I have used both a iPhone 6 and a new iPad mini 4.  Both have issues with lag and some pixilation. I never had the issues before the upgrade.  It seemed to improve a little when i disabled bluetooth but is still noticeably worse than it was before the latest upgrade to DJI 4.1.11.  Bothe devices had no programs running in the background and lots of unused memory if that matters.
2017-9-23
Use props
Bright Spark
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Same here.
2017-9-23
Use props
Bright Spark
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Now 10 metres results in disconnects, scrambled video and blank screens.
It can't be my kit. Android phone and tablet did 150 metres a few weeks ago.
That's all I wanted, and all I thought I was buying.
Now it's 100% useless.
I expect no reply.
2017-9-23
Use props
fans1a7ec3b6
lvl.2
Flight distance : 61260 ft
Slovenia

DJI any comments???
2017-9-23
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

fans3b8dd2c3 Posted at 2017-9-22 23:25
i have a compatible IOS and a Android device. The Transmission quality is
bad on both of them. it is not a problem with the phone devices, i am sure you can test it yourself with every phone and you will have the same result. so not suggest things to customer that will not solve that issue! Forward the issue to your engineer to fix that problem.
the idea of an update is to improve not to make things worst!

Sorry for the trouble it causes. Please provide the black box data and upload to dropbox and our engineers will help you find out the problem.
2017-9-25
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

fans1a7ec3b6 Posted at 2017-9-23 08:00
I have iphone 6 and android and it is the same. Full lags, disconeting... before update I flow +200m and now.. after update I have lags and disconecting error from 20m. It is crazy! I would like to give them back this expensive super drone! I am so sorry that I bought this fly more combo.. I was thinking about mavic vs spark. And I made big mistake..

Please try the solutions above first. If it doesn't work, please give us the black box data for analysis.

2017-9-25
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Kansas Boy Posted at 2017-9-23 09:53
Just to clarify:  I have used both a iPhone 6 and a new iPad mini 4.  Both have issues with lag and some pixilation. I never had the issues before the upgrade.  It seemed to improve a little when i disabled bluetooth but is still noticeably worse than it was before the latest upgrade to DJI 4.1.11.  Bothe devices had no programs running in the background and lots of unused memory if that matters.

Please follow the advice in 29#. Thanks for support.
2017-9-25
Use props
Nemroig
lvl.2
Flight distance : 192930 ft
Spain

Is there any way to downgrade to previous version of the GO4 app under iOs?
2017-9-25
Use props
fans3b8dd2c3
lvl.4
Germany

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-9-25 01:19
Sorry for the trouble it causes. Please provide the black box data and upload to dropbox and our engineers will help you find out the problem.

use your own blackbox data cause the problem is global and not only me who have that problem..just take a phone from your recommended list, a spark and go out and test it yourself. it is not me who have a problem, cause i can sell my spark anytime and my problem is solved..but what about you? it is YOUR product, so this is YOUR issu.
2017-9-25
Use props
Nemroig
lvl.2
Spain

fans3b8dd2c3 Posted at 2017-9-25 08:04
use your own blackbox data cause the problem is global and not only me who have that problem..just take a phone from your recommended list, a spark and go out and test it yourself. it is not me who have a problem, cause i can sell my spark anytime and my problem is solved..but what about you? it is YOUR product, so this is YOUR issu.

I would not have been so hard but I think you're right, and indeed I felt underserved several times when from the technical department ask me the same questions and obvious recommendations once and again (if you have the software updated, if you were in an area free from interference, etc ...).

I am the commercial developer of an App for iOS and Android, and when a user tells us that he found a problem or a bug I ask him the characteristics of his mobile, we get the same mobile and we try to reproduce the problem in order  to solve it. I do not advise him to try with an iphone because I know that with that device there is no such problem ...
2017-9-25
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

fans3b8dd2c3 Posted at 2017-9-25 08:04

We tested the spark with our mobile devices and use the app with the latest version without the problem. Please provide the black box data so we can locate the problem. There are a lot of reasons will affect the video transmission. Thanks for your support. Hope you can understand.
2017-9-25
Use props
Nemroig
lvl.2
Spain

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-9-25 23:20
We tested the spark with our mobile devices and use the app with the latest version without the problem. Please provide the black box data so we can locate the problem. There are a lot of reasons will affect the video transmission. Thanks for your support. Hope you can understand.

Elektra, I have been experiencing this problem of poor image transmission from the beginning, since the first flight, 2 months ago (100 flights now).

Over time I learned that the orientation of the antennas improves a bit, and I even bought a signal booster (which I'm not sure if it is very functional, I have to do more tests), but still having image transmission issues.

The problem here is that when we go to the technical service we fall into a bottomless pit in which you ask us continuously the same simple things (if we have all the firmware updated, if we have tried to change location, change device ...) and this does not help.

I have been more than 30 minutes in a chat with a technician just to finish closing down the chat because of boredom, being asked the same things one time and more.

At the beginning I was very active talking to you and the technicians about my problem with the transmission of images, and when I finally learned how to send the black box all you told me was that at some point the AC entered ATTI mode. Nothing clear or helpful with the image transmission issue.

I have had control problems with the RC (the AC did not respond to the sticks), problems with the gimbal that pointed to the ground (it seems to affect if you wear black clothes!, as you explained), and most annoying problems with the reception of image, among others, and as much as I tried to find solutions and help with technicians, all they told me was to send the logs and the black box but it did not help with the problem and a solution.

And now, it seems to be that for most users the last update works much worse than the one before ... I have not been able to test it yet.

In short, I understand that software fail and applications may have bugs, but it is important that the user feels himself helped, otherwise distrust grows in the product and the company.

On the other hand, also comment that there are very positive things like seeing that I thought it would be interesting to have a countdown when doing a quickshot, and it seems that in the new update you have introduced it. It was quite obvious, but we are grateful to see that the company listens to customers.

It is a matter of striving to keep improving, and taking care of customers as much as possible.

Thanks for your help, and let's hope technicians find all the bugs.

cheers,
2017-9-26
Use props
fans3b8dd2c3
lvl.4
Germany

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-9-25 23:20

Do you know the eighth commandment? Or is it a Blackbox for you?
2017-9-26
Use props
Nemroig
lvl.2
Spain

fans3b8dd2c3 Posted at 2017-9-26 11:23
Do you know the eighth commandment? Or is it a Blackbox for you?

LOL, you made me look for the ten commandments
2017-9-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules