Power lines
790 5 2017-8-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sfox18
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1483 ft
United Kingdom

I am intending to purchase phantom 4 pro although I might wait to see what the 5 might bring.
I live in a rural area and there is a high voltage pylon and power lines that run across my land about 50 yards from my house. I am concerned that the magnetic field of the lines will affect calibrations and ultimately the flight of a drone. can anyone give me their thoughts please.
As a side issue I have been reading this forum for a few weeks now and I have gained a good insight into errors some pilots have been making and blaming their units, however, I am concerned at the number of posts that refer to mal functions of firmware updates and I must admit it has made me a little nervous, as I believed that DJI new what they are doing and would have test and tested the upgrade before release.
2017-8-25
Use props
Ono
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1894961 ft
Spain

I have phantom 3 pro and phantom 4 pro for a year and I am very happy. It has given me hours of fun, nerves and adventure. The videos and photos are fantastic. I would not hesitate. Scratch your pocket and buy it.
2017-8-25
Use props
Normn8or
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1466611 ft
United States

If That is the only interference you have i wouldn't worry to much about it. It's Ferrous metal that can make calibrating your compass wonky. I do fly among  high tension wires and cell towers with no problems, the most they will do is cut your distance down and possible loss of signal. Always remember to wait till you have at least 10 or 11 Satellites locked and the app has said Home point has been Updated/recorded before you even lift the bird off the ground., That is the first and main failsafe from the start and it is the systems self go to for it to come back home. When flying out of line of sight never fly in ATTI mode because if loss of signal happens and/or a bad home point set due to massive Ferrous metals  the Bird will drift in the wind current to God knows where and there's no way to know which way it went and where it came down after it's 10% autoland Engages..   I only use ATTI mode indoors and that is next to never anyway.
2017-8-25
Use props
sfox18
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thank you for your comments. what about the firmware problems that i am reading about
2017-8-25
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

sfox18 Posted at 2017-8-25 01:46
Thank you for your comments. what about the firmware problems that i am reading about

Don't calibrate the compass near the power lines, they give out an alternating magnetic field.  Depending on the voltage they could easily screw up the calibration at that distance.   Might fly OK, but don't calibrate the compass there, I wouldn't recommend flying that close either.

Don't worry about the firmware, yes there are plenty of minor issues and there may be a few aircraft that have bigger issues, but this is the place that people report problems, not the place that the 99.9% of people post that they have no problems.  Firmware issues get sorted after a while anyway.   DJI have made a big mistake with the recent P4 standard firmware update but even with them most fly OK, some need the vision system turned off.
2017-8-25
Use props
sfox18
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thank you again. I am impressed by how helpful (even if sometime blunt) you all are.
2017-8-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules