12345Next >
14834 192 2017-8-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LRAB
lvl.2
Flight distance : 197559 ft
South Africa

There needs to be support for OTG now, wifi has improved on the last update but plugging in OTG and 2.4gh gives perfect picture with no lag at all, there have been ne reported issues regarding OTG either so why cant it be enabled ??? as far as i am concerned many more people use OTG method then the wifi and for good reason. what do you use? hopefully this will allow DJI to get some feedback on the ratios of people using OTG and not.
Single SelectVote, Total 499 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

66.33% (331)
26.05% (130)
7.62% (38)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2017-8-25
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

There is a thread recently talking about the supporting of DJI Goggles of this .0600 firmware by connecting OTG cable to RC Nd microusb to Goggles and it does work well but DJI moderator said that the OTG connection for Goggles is not for mobile device connecting. There are commands and data send via OTG for Goggles but they are not meant for DJI Go 4. For example, head tracking gimbal. So you better not use it until it is officially support. If it will ever happen.
2017-8-25
Use props
HomePoint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I don't know what I do now   Update was only a few days ago, weather not been the best, but we now have a Bank Holiday in the UK this weekend so maybe we all fly more ....happy days!
2017-8-25
Use props
InkedUpDad.com
lvl.2
Flight distance : 55276 ft
United States

I use WiFi. I'd rather not use an unsupported feature and risk DJI denying a warranty request if something goes wrong.
2017-8-25
Use props
lafoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1402680 ft
Portugal

I have been using OTG since DAY 1!... Why? because i'm on a Android and in EU.
2017-8-25
Use props
fans9ea9c44f
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22129 ft
United Kingdom

I got much much better range with 2.4,(stuck with android) but plugging in to'catch it' seems dodgy.
DJI not giving due guidance I feel since apple works - but not supported.
2017-8-25
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6129 ft
United Kingdom

I have an OTG cable and have played with it but am not feeling the love. In the EU we are limited to 500m distance and 120m altitude by regulation. I mostly use my spark much closer. Today I flew it to 500m and 120m from me using wifi and default 5.8ghz between spark and controller and it was fine. Video had a little but of lag but was unbroken and clear and the lag liveable with. I'll keep the cable with me in the case but not sure when I'll bother using it.
2017-8-25
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

It is the only way i'll fly the sparks.
2017-8-25
Use props
LRAB
lvl.2
South Africa

Lucas775 Posted at 2017-8-25 06:36
It is the only way i'll fly the sparks.

with all the lag from wifi it does feel like the only safe way,
2017-8-25
Use props
Convert
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6129 ft
United Kingdom

LRAB Posted at 2017-8-25 06:34
with all the lag from wifi it does feel like the only safe way,

For lag to be that important to you can I assume you are either ignoring regulations or flying in a part of the world where flying maintaining  visual line of sight is not a stipulation? Whilst sometimes lag is a bit of pain when making sure a filming sequence is working well I can't say it's ever been a matter of 'safety' for me.
2017-8-25
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use the OTG cable when I fly with the Go 4 app and WiFi for Litchi because Litchi doesn't work with OTG.
2017-8-25
Use props
cosmic68
Second Officer
Flight distance : 89042 ft
United Kingdom

Anecdotally I hear OTG doesn't factor much for iOS users (i.e. The wifi works just as well). I'm on iOS and on holiday in Spain had dreadful lags with or without OTG. Haven't had much a chance to test in UK as live in a built up area.
2017-8-25
Use props
AndyMK
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29367 ft
United Kingdom

Hey everyone, I'm very new to this so I have a question. (I'm running the latest FW)
I plug my OTG cable into the RC, and then into my Iphone 6S.
I switch on my RC.
I then open my DJI GO app.

I would expect at this point the phone to be communicating with the RC but it isn't. So I then change my WIFI to connect to the RC, switch back to the app, and its shows its connected.

So whats the point of the OTG cable, and how do I know if its actually doing anything?

Andy
2017-8-25
Use props
dojoman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 64865 ft
United States

I still get image transmission issue with OTG, it's not perfect.
2017-8-25
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

AndyMK Posted at 2017-8-25 07:47
Hey everyone, I'm very new to this so I have a question. (I'm running the latest FW)
I plug my OTG cable into the RC, and then into my Iphone 6S.
I switch on my RC.

People on the forums have found OTG setup to be "nuanced".  Order of operations matters (though there are a few permutations of the order that work).

The order I like to use:

1.  Open app on phone.
2.  Connect USB to phone.  (NOT TO RC YET!)
3.  Turn on RC.
4.  Wait for blinking light to become solid orange.
5.  Connect OTG side of cable to RC.
6.  Wait for app to say "RC Connected"
7.  Turn on spark.
8.  Wait for "GO FLY"

The important part of the order in my experience is that the cable be connected to the phone first, and then the RC second, AFTER the RC is up and running.  I have many problems getting the phone to recognize the RC if I connect to RC first and then phone second.  My own experience, not necessarily shared by others.

The value of OTG is that it provides a more stable and speedy connection between phone and RC.  To be fair, the latest firmware update seems to have really improved the stability of the wifi connection.  But I've only performed limited flights, and I want to test some more.  Prior to this firmware update, I never had a single wifi flight that was problem free.  I am now willing to try wifi after the latest firmware update.
2017-8-25
Use props
daviden
lvl.1
Flight distance : 119003 ft
Sweden

In EU with iPhone 7+.
I haven't noticed any difference at all using OTG in my tests, so I've ditched the cable - only using Wifi.
Also, like somebody already said, feels better if the sh*t will hit the fan some day. Then I can't get the "Well, you used OTG, which is not supported" from DJI support.

Then again, I haven't had a single problem with my Spark. Getting 120 m up and 500 m away without any problems at all (at 2,4).
2017-8-25
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

daviden Posted at 2017-8-25 08:31
In EU with iPhone 7+.
I haven't noticed any difference at all using OTG in my tests, so I've ditched the cable - only using Wifi.
Also, like somebody already said, feels better if the sh*t will hit the fan some day. Then I can't get the "Well, you used OTG, which is not supported" from DJI support.

If I can gain confidence in wifi, I'll ditch OTG (except for using goggles).
2017-8-25
Use props
daviden
lvl.1
Flight distance : 119003 ft
Sweden

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-25 08:33
If I can gain confidence in wifi, I'll ditch OTG (except for using goggles).

Maybe there's a big difference using OTG after 500 m? I'm sticking to the laws and rules here in Sweden, so I wouldn't know.
2017-8-25
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

daviden Posted at 2017-8-25 08:35
Maybe there's a big difference using OTG after 500 m? I'm sticking to the laws and rules here in Sweden, so I wouldn't know.

I don't know the magnitude of improvement after 500m.  I do fly out that far, but when I was using wifi (pre-current update), I had horrible connection issues regardless of the distance.  It didn't matter if I was close, it didn't matter if I was far.  Wifi just didn't cut it.

Using OTG, I was able to have a stable connection locally and at some distance.  My farthest distance from home point was about 1100m, and I maintained a stable connection with OTG at that distance.

I'm not big on distance tests myself.  My common use cases don't require distance.
2017-8-25
Use props
wobbles
Second Officer
Flight distance : 547438 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HomePoint Posted at 2017-8-25 04:19
I don't know what I do now   Update was only a few days ago, weather not been the best, but we now have a Bank Holiday in the UK this weekend so maybe we all fly more ....happy days!

hello,........ bank holiday !........ UK !.......... only means Thunder,Rain,and floods.....
2017-8-25
Use props
Spaners
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1542 ft
United Kingdom

wobbles Posted at 2017-8-25 10:18
hello,........ bank holiday !........ UK !.......... only means Thunder,Rain,and floods.....

don't you just know it lol
can I ask are you android or ios
2017-8-25
Use props
Goatherdervt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 386178 ft
United States

I cannot get otg to work for me. I have a galaxy 7edge and tried everything to get it to work. No go. I wonder if I could use my Mavic Pro controller with my spark.  Hmmm...
2017-8-25
Use props
TexasAerials
Second Officer
Flight distance : 566952 ft
United States

Convert Posted at 2017-8-25 05:29
I have an OTG cable and have played with it but am not feeling the love. In the EU we are limited to 500m distance and 120m altitude by regulation. I mostly use my spark much closer. Today I flew it to 500m and 120m from me using wifi and default 5.8ghz between spark and controller and it was fine. Video had a little but of lag but was unbroken and clear and the lag liveable with. I'll keep the cable with me in the case but not sure when I'll bother using it.

I was skeptical at first as well, but did a test.  start everything up using wifi connection and pick up the spark and turn it side to side and see how much lag there is in the video feed.  then connect with OTG and do the same.  you'll notice that the video lag is maybe 1/4 of the time that it was before.  when i was flying in europe on 2.4 without otg it was almost unusable unless you flew up high and away from potential obstacles because the lag was over a second at times.  
2017-8-25
Use props
wobbles
Second Officer
Flight distance : 547438 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Spaners Posted at 2017-8-25 10:54
don't you just know it lol
can I ask are you android or ios

Lol ,I am iOS 10.3 iPhone 6s Plus
2017-8-25
Use props
Joepub1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 557818 ft
United States

FatherXmas Posted at 2017-8-25 07:10
I use the OTG cable when I fly with the Go 4 app and WiFi for Litchi because Litchi doesn't work with OTG.

Same here, but only because the Go 4 app just won't stay connected with the wifi. Connects, then lets go after 20-30 seconds. The app itself has quit crashing, but it's useless without the OTG cable. Litchi at least gives it a shot, but sometimes freezes after 7 minutes or so.
2017-8-25
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Goatherdervt Posted at 2017-8-25 11:02
I cannot get otg to work for me. I have a galaxy 7edge and tried everything to get it to work. No go. I wonder if I could use my Mavic Pro controller with my spark.  Hmmm...

nope.. completely differant technologies.  Occusync on Mavic Pro vs dual band Wifi on Spark.
and certain phones are really picky, i am begining to think it is a samsung issue now..  ensure that you have the host side of the OTG on the RC side otherwise its a losing battle for the phone.. next, enable ddeveloper settings in andriod and enable usb debugging ..   then i suggest oddly, reinstalling the dji go app.. and setting usb option as default for the dji go app.. that will trigger an uninterupted launch, in theory..   all that being said my S8 and my mavic pro have a hell of a fight sometimes and at random no pattern other than notifications poppin up causing it, but aside form notifications it still crashes at seemingly random here too..

spark in my experiance when i owned one, OTG lag was so little with iOS that it was amazing differance, disabling wifi on ipad mini 2 then using OTG was incredibly differance experiance specially once you go out 500 feet +  thats when wifi mode from RC was basically completely garbage.. pixalated mess and sometimes 5+ seconds of lag from when aircraft turned to when see it happen..  that amount of lag was sort of rare but in populated areas was more common.. 2-5 seconds of lag.. OTG no lag until absolute frindge distances like 2,500 - 5,500 feet..  that video connection issue dji should patch with OTG mode update one day allowing video and controller feed to seperate.  but im guessing saving that for the 2nd gen spark..

2017-8-25
Use props
LRAB
lvl.2
South Africa

Convert Posted at 2017-8-25 07:00
For lag to be that important to you can I assume you are either ignoring regulations or flying in a part of the world where flying maintaining  visual line of sight is not a stipulation? Whilst sometimes lag is a bit of pain when making sure a filming sequence is working well I can't say it's ever been a matter of 'safety' for me.

nope you cant assume that im in africa, plus the lag is constant at any distance even a few meters and anything over 100m its basically unbarable trying to film something on wifi only
2017-8-26
Use props
LRAB
lvl.2
South Africa

Convert Posted at 2017-8-25 05:29

i think an important part of the OTG setup is getting onto the 2.4 channels
2017-8-26
Use props
SteveW25561
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2024 ft
Canada

Why does the Spark’s distance from the remote controller affect wifi lagginess or image quality? I thought the wifi from the phone to the RC is just for that communication, which shouldn’t be affected by distance to the Spark (since the remote and the Spark are on their own separate connection).

That said, I’ve found the OTG removes lag and image quality with my iPhone 6s — I was getting really bad lag and image tearing with the Spark sitting next to the remote controller if the phone was connected via wifi to the remote.  Turning off Bluetooth fixed this, but I also found that I could leave Bluetooth on and connect via OTG and there was no lag or interference.

Finally, another advantage of the OTG is that your phone can stay connected to your wifi network and it’s also a bit quicker then going to settings and manually connecting to the remote controller’s wifi SSID.

2017-8-26
Use props
HomePoint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tested today in UK in a very open area:
5.8ghz with OTG I got 300m and then lost contact
2.4ghz  with OTG I got 750m and could have carried on, but turned around and came home.

Didn't try without OTG as I am not too confident without it.
2017-8-26
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

SteveW25561 Posted at 2017-8-26 01:34
Why does the Spark’s distance from the remote controller affect wifi lagginess or image quality? I thought the wifi from the phone to the RC is just for that communication, which shouldn’t be affected by distance to the Spark (since the remote and the Spark are on their own separate connection).

That said, I’ve found the OTG removes lag and image quality with my iPhone 6s — I was getting really bad lag and image tearing with the Spark sitting next to the remote controller if the phone was connected via wifi to the remote.  Turning off Bluetooth fixed this, but I also found that I could leave Bluetooth on and connect via OTG and there was no lag or interference.

There are two wifi communication channels in play.  Craft to RC, and RC to phone.  I saw some youtube where someone was explaining that both communications were causing issues with each other.  Don't know if it's true, and not knowledgeable enough with the tech stack to draw my own conclusions.  But it made sense, and it fit the observations.  After update my wifi-only trials are much improved, though still not perfect.  I still prefer OTG.
2017-8-26
Use props
Ian Albinson
lvl.2
Flight distance : 585102 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've only ever used OTG and it's been fine for me. The iPad Mini 2 is always set to Airplane mode too.
2017-8-26
Use props
Ardenno
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1877910 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Yes I do. It's more stable when I flying far. No image problem in dj go 4.
2017-8-26
Use props
Ques37
lvl.1
Flight distance : 27169 ft
United States

OTG is the only way I have flown. Haven't had any issues with it.
2017-8-26
Use props
TMUSVI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 228891 ft
U.S. Virgin Islands

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-25 08:24
People on the forums have found OTG setup to be "nuanced".  Order of operations matters (though there are a few permutations of the order that work).

The order I like to use:

i dont use otg makes no difference, o and by the way i tried it with my galaxy s5 and it does not matter how i hook it up can do it in any order it works

and sence new update i just plug it in the cable and app comes up, but still do not use it makes no diff
2017-8-26
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

TMUSVI Posted at 2017-8-26 07:01
i dont use otg makes no difference, o and by the way i tried it with my galaxy s5 and it does not matter how i hook it up can do it in any order it works

and sence new update i just plug it in the cable and app comes up, but still do not use it makes no diff

My preference would be such that wifi was stable enough for me to trust, and that I could ditch the cables.  For me though, it is not as stable as OTG cables, and I'll continue to use it.

NOTE that this may not be a problem with DJI equipment or software.  My own equipment (a Galaxy S7 Edge) could be a factor in this behavior.  As you state, others are using wifi and have no issues.  That indicates to me that personal equipment is a factor.
2017-8-26
Use props
TMUSVI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 228891 ft
U.S. Virgin Islands

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-26 07:08
My preference would be such that wifi was stable enough for me to trust, and that I could ditch the cables.  For me though, it is not as stable as OTG cables, and I'll continue to use it.

NOTE that this may not be a problem with DJI equipment or software.  My own equipment (a Galaxy S7 Edge) could be a factor in this behavior.  As you state, others are using wifi and have no issues.  That indicates to me that personal equipment is a factor.

i think so because on my nexus 7 gen 2 , 2013 i have drop out on dji go 4,  but on the s5 everything seems better ya got a point there my friend
2017-8-26
Use props
Goatherdervt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 386178 ft
United States

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-8-25 19:46
nope.. completely differant technologies.  Occusync on Mavic Pro vs dual band Wifi on Spark.
and certain phones are really picky, i am begining to think it is a samsung issue now..  ensure that you have the host side of the OTG on the RC side otherwise its a losing battle for the phone.. next, enable ddeveloper settings in andriod and enable usb debugging ..   then i suggest oddly, reinstalling the dji go app.. and setting usb option as default for the dji go app.. that will trigger an uninterupted launch, in theory..   all that being said my S8 and my mavic pro have a hell of a fight sometimes and at random no pattern other than notifications poppin up causing it, but aside form notifications it still crashes at seemingly random here too..

Thank you for the advice. I spent the morning making sure i had my phone in developers mode and usb debugging abd sure enough the usb debugging was off. As soon as i switched it back on it connected with no problems!  Thank you so much!
2017-8-26
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Goatherdervt Posted at 2017-8-26 15:44
Thank you for the advice. I spent the morning making sure i had my phone in developers mode and usb debugging abd sure enough the usb debugging was off. As soon as i switched it back on it connected with no problems!  Thank you so much!

no problem!  glad it works for you!
2017-8-26
Use props
LRAB
lvl.2
South Africa

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-26 07:08

i agree i would love to use wifi only but i think there is too much going on the remote has to communcate with the phone and AC over WIFI at the same time. i think having a wired connection between the phone and RC will allow better data send
2017-8-26
Use props
12345Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules