The birds love my spark!
2587 14 2017-8-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Goatherdervt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 386178 ft
United States

I flew three batteries today with my new spark and all three times I had birds flying towards it at around 100 feet in the air. One of the birds look like a hawk and is very large, and another is smaller, streamlined bird. Both do not like the spark as they will torment it by straffing and diving. I just put a decal skin on the spark of dark gray and orange. Should i go back to white? Would it make a difference?
20170825_151604.jpg
2017-8-25
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have a green spark, and it attracts the wrath of a lot of birds.  Do we believe that the FAA owns the regulating of air space?  OH HECK NO!  It's these little birds!  THEY are dictating when I can fly and can't!

When I was flying over water and I got harassed by maybe 40 of them, I landed quickly and didn't challenge them after that (they won).  I was afraid that if one got too close I'd lose the spark in the lake.

When I was flying at my property, I was less swayed by their protests.  I had maybe a dozen express their dissatisfaction with my spark, but I kept flying.  I figured if they knocked it out of the sky, I would be able to recover it.  None of them actually made contact with the spark.
2017-8-25
Use props
TheCyberKnight
lvl.3
Canada

The size is likely the most important factor. I don't think prey birds care about the color or patterns much.
2017-8-25
Use props
rick bernotas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 194944 ft
United States

I always have birds flying about it.  There is always at least one bird that is super curious about it, and will constantly dive at it, have a look, and then circle back around.

I think that's really it, most birds are just curious what it is, and are especially confused by the Spark when it just hovers in place.  Larger birds of prey definitely get pretty agitated about it, though.  If you are anywhere near a nest... they will definitely try and ward it off.
2017-8-25
Use props
lafoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1402680 ft
Portugal

When I have birds around I give two laps in sport mode and make a few quick turns and they go away. Even the seagulls ...
2017-8-25
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

rick bernotas Posted at 2017-8-25 12:04
I always have birds flying about it.  There is always at least one bird that is super curious about it, and will constantly dive at it, have a look, and then circle back around.

I think that's really it, most birds are just curious what it is, and are especially confused by the Spark when it just hovers in place.  Larger birds of prey definitely get pretty agitated about it, though.  If you are anywhere near a nest... they will definitely try and ward it off.

this^^   for the most part..  

i wouldn't be too worried about a hawk, unless invading its nest.. but if hawk is eating on ground or flying about mostly likely not going to cause much issues... smaller birds are probably curious or they maybe trying to make a show of dominance.  but i had zero issues...

i dont think color has any roll in how birds react, birds hate my mavic pro, so i dont fly from the park as much anymore because it causes such a stir and i actually feel little bad.  at my farm the birds come and go from and to all directions nothing i can do im sure just curiosity with them, we do have hawks and eagles as well on my property ..hawks are actually very likely to fly away and not come at you as long as not near nest.. eagles however i will land my drone or get away, they will have no issue grabbing drones and and breaking them or at least dropping them causing them to break or forever get lost..
2017-8-25
Use props
Rawsome
lvl.4
Flight distance : 230827 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I have a bold white at my lake and he tells me when to fly and when not.
2017-8-25
Use props
FatherXmas
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

There's a couple birds around my house that occasionally fly at the AC. I go up and down and spin it a few times and so far it has frightened them off. I hope they never get brave enough to actually attack it.
2017-8-25
Use props
HighCamera
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1213238 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've always heard that most birds have difficulty flying straight up, so I am always on the ready to jump about ten feet straight up if they get too close. We should start a thread with bird footage

2017-8-25
Use props
TMUSVI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 228891 ft
U.S. Virgin Islands

TheCyberKnight Posted at 2017-8-25 11:41
The size is likely the most important factor. I don't think prey birds care about the color or patterns much.

dont know about that mine is white birds run from it
2017-8-25
Use props
STech - Hathder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459094 ft
Brazil

3 months ago a bird strike my Parrot Bebop at 400m distance, it falls from 30M height on a farm, i used the find drone function on app, find the drone and it dont get even a scratch. How i know its a bird? I see birds circulating the drone on FPV and Parrot app tells what motor had been hit and stoped in realtime. A thing i hate about parrot drones.. it stops the motor if something hit the motor (even a leaf), so the drone dont have even a chance to recover.

Small drones are Birds magnets!!

Now my Spark call atention of birds like my bebop, i always be careful since the bebop accident.

2017-8-25
Use props
Spookymike
lvl.4
Germany

I discovered this today morning when i was out testing the new FW update. There have been some swallows or sparrows appeared while i was flying. This scared me a little i was worried they would harm my Spark ;-) But everything was fine. Seemed that they were just curios :-)
2017-8-26
Use props
AzBaja aka "Eri
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2684 ft
United States

Bees.....  Flying the P2vp a few years back about 300 feet above us.  at one point it started to rain bees around  us.  Landed that phantom and found it covered with bee guts.  Watching the video later you can see the Bees flying up at the Phantom from below it.  After that I added the No Bee Sticker to that phantom  
2017-8-26
Use props
TMUSVI
lvl.3
Flight distance : 228891 ft
U.S. Virgin Islands

had a war with them today birds crazy
2017-8-26
Use props
CharlieZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 623432 ft