Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
OSMO+ and WiFi issues
2379 11 2017-8-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
paraviz02
lvl.4

United States

Hello,

We have been using the OSMO+ for about a month now, and one thing that's been a bit difficult to deal with is the WiFi reliability and performance. I am pretty sure we have just been running the latest firmware on there (I'd have to ask my sister who has the OSMO+ right now).

The issue is that when placing the OSMO+ somewhere extremely convenient for recording -- let's say on the DJI tripod and extension rod on top of a table so that it can see over a group of people and we don't have to hold it -- the wireless connection is extremely unreliable and we have a terrible time controlling it, even from only a few feet away.

We have tried 2.4GHz vs 5.8GHz, but still the issues persist. And we have even tried in places that do not have strong interference, but the WiFi signal between the OSMO+ and our iOS device is still very unreliable.

Any thoughts?  Anything else we can try?

As you may have seen me posting in the Inspire forums as well, we've had a lot of issues with the latest firmware and the signal quality ... Do you think that maybe downgrading the firmware for the OSMO+ might make the connection better? (I'm pretty happy that we are still given the ability to do so with OSMO+!)

Thank you for your help.
2017-8-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Paraviz, yes, I'm quite familiar with you. Sorry for the experience with our products recently.
Have you tried to reset the Osmo+ WIFI? Here is the tutorial video for your reference:
2017-8-25
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.4

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-25 23:33
Paraviz, yes, I'm quite familiar with you. Sorry for the experience with our products recently.
Have you tried to reset the Osmo+ WIFI? Here is the tutorial video for your reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxB5uOoDQUU

Hey there Mindy ;) ...

We will try to reset the WiFi and try it again. I don't have the OSMO+ with me at the moment, but will get it and then we will test.

Thanks!
2017-8-28
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

paraviz02 Posted at 2017-8-28 11:10
Hey there Mindy ;) ...

We will try to reset the WiFi and try it again. I don't have the OSMO+ with me at the moment, but will get it and then we will test.

No problem. I'm always here, just reply to me directly.
2017-8-29
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.4

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-29 00:40

Hi Mindy,

We tried resetting the WiFi settings to defaults, but that still doesn't help. We are currently running the firmware version that was just released at the end of August (I cannot remember the version number).

Even sitting less than 2 feet away from the OSMO+, our tablet still only gets 2 out of 4 bars on the signal indicator.

Here's what our signal looks like:

<12 inches=3 bars
>24 inches=2 bars
>6-8 feet=1 bar
>8 feet=disconnected

I don't know if there is a WiFi-enabled device on the planet that has this bad of connection quality. I am pretty sure that we are not doing something wrong here ...

The fact that the WiFi signal as at most 3 bars when the mobile device is actually mounted onto the OSMO+ is a little confusing.

Aside from this issue, all other OSMO+ functions are working as expected.

What do you think?
2017-9-4
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.4

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-29 00:40

How can I try older versions of OSMO+ firmware? I downloaded them from DJI website, but when I put it on the SD card and turn on OSMO+, it says that I cannot downgrade.

Since we have had lots of signal-related problems with the Inspire 2 and recent firmwares, I would really like to try an older OSMO+ firmware to see if that also creates WiFi signal issues. I sure hope that DJI has not removed the ability to downgrade firmware on this platform as well.

Thank you very much Mindy.
2017-9-4
Use props
eColumbia01
Second Officer
United States

paraviz02 Posted at 2017-9-4 12:18
How can I try older versions of OSMO+ firmware? I downloaded them from DJI website, but when I put it on the SD card and turn on OSMO+, it says that I cannot downgrade.

Since we have had lots of signal-related problems with the Inspire 2 and recent firmwares, I would really like to try an older OSMO+ firmware to see if that also creates WiFi signal issues. I sure hope that DJI has not removed the ability to downgrade firmware on this platform as well.

You might want to try an android device. I have had better luck than 8' and still able to get a decent connection between the OSMO+ and an android device.
That said - IMHO - the OSMO+ is really meant to be right next to either a iOS or android device and not at a distance. If you are going to use the OSMO+ at a distance then the wifi connection is probably dependent on a large number of a factors.
With the android device - it is helpful to stop all background processing and basically use the android device only for the OSMO+. I'm not sure about doing the same with iOS devices.
2017-9-4
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
China

paraviz02 Posted at 2017-9-4 12:18

I would not recommend you download old version as the old problems will still exist. You can change a mobile device and link the wifi for check.
2017-9-5
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.4

United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-9-5 03:06
I would not recommend you download old version as the old problems will still exist. You can change a mobile device and link the wifi for check.

Ok - tried iPad mini 4, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6S and all have same issue.

From DJI specs, how far should the WiFi signal work?
2017-9-7
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
China

paraviz02 Posted at 2017-9-7 06:07
Ok - tried iPad mini 4, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6S and all have same issue.

From DJI specs, how far should the WiFi signal work?

For your question, please check the specs below.
The weak WIFI transmission could be the problem of WIFI module. You can try to flash the firmware, if it doesn't work, please contact our support. Here is the link:
http://www.dji.com/support.
2017-9-8
Use props
danawilson171
New
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-9-8 00:55
For your question, please check the specs below.
The weak WIFI transmission could be the problem of WIFI module. You can try to flash the firmware, if it doesn't work, please contact our support. Here is the link:
http://www.dji.com/support.

Thanks! I tried everything, but hard-flashing the firmware did the trick. Also note you need to restart the Osmo after the initial flash, and it takes a minute or so on restart to finish.
2017-11-18
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

danawilson171 Posted at 2017-11-18 14:32
Thanks! I tried everything, but hard-flashing the firmware did the trick. Also note you need to restart the Osmo after the initial flash, and it takes a minute or so on restart to finish.

Glad you solve the problem. Enjoy your osmo.
2017-11-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules