Home poit of RC
1531 21 2017-8-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ZukySpark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 226066 ft
Portugal

Hy there. I was making a walk. After 200 meters a set a new the home point for the remote position and started thr RTH. What i saw was a spark passing by me at full speed... when setting the cordinates of the remote the apps get the position of the mobile phone or RC? I made a few tests after it and it updated my position so it could be week GPS of the mobile or RC.
2017-8-26
Use props
ZukySpark
lvl.4
Portugal

The moment i set the homepoint to RC
IMG_3423.PNG
2017-8-26
Use props
ZukySpark
lvl.4
Portugal

The moment i started the RTH
IMG_3424.PNG
2017-8-26
Use props
ZukySpark
lvl.4
Portugal

The moment i cancelled the RTH...
IMG_3425.PNG
2017-8-26
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very interesting, and very testable.  More evidence is needed before any conclusions are drawn, but one possibility is that the aircraft was "only" aware of original home point.  It looks to me like it is trying to return to original home point.  This doesn't look like a mistaken gps in any of the components.

I'm wondering if there is some latency in transmitting the new home point to the craft.  Time permitting I'll try some tests myself (testing DJI goggles is taking up some time).
2017-8-26
Use props
ZukySpark
lvl.4
Portugal

Checking the direction it was going directly to the first home point... i hope...if not we are having a big problem... i was testing it befor enter the boat... where the first home point is not the final home point. The blue dot have been updated so i dont understand why it did not came to me.  Does the blue point is the mobile phone location and RC has another gps? And the GPS info provided to aircraft is the RC?
2017-8-26
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

The RC has no build in GPS.
2017-8-26
Use props
ZukySpark
lvl.4
Portugal

So... i cant explain this spark  behaviour...
2017-8-26
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

ZukySpark Posted at 2017-8-26 04:49
So... i cant explain this spark  behaviour...

"Home point recorded. Please check on the map"

;-)
2017-8-26
Use props
Dirk52
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232995 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Where is the Hp? Maybe you can show it on the map?
2017-8-26
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I tested RTH mode for this use case.  I launched, set home point, walked and flew to a far location, and set home point to RC location.  I instructed the craft to RTH, and it behaved as though it was within close proximity of home point (which was the RC, and it was close).  I then performed another test.  I set home point to craft location, I then walked to a far different location, and set home point to RC location, then flew and walked to a completely separate location.  Original home point, RC home point, craft and myself were at all different locations.  I then instructed craft to RTH, and it ascended and flew to the RC homepoint location I had set.

This all is the exact behavior I would expect.  I have a theory about the author's situation.  Since the RC doesn't have GPS, it's using the phone GPS location.  What if the phone is not set up appropriately for pin-point GPS locations?  There's a lot of different settings for a phone's GPS.  If the phone was in a state where it could not identify it's GPS location, maybe the app doesn't know, and maybe the craft returns to original homepoint location.

This is another scenario that will be easy to test.  The tester can turn off location settings of phone and then try the same tests.
2017-8-26
Use props
ZukySpark
lvl.4
Portugal

I am going to test it tomorrow again
2017-8-26
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ZukySpark Posted at 2017-8-26 10:17
I am going to test it tomorrow again

I had another theory as well...  there are gps modes of the phone where it can't/won't pinpoint your precise location, but it will use local towers and hotspots to identify your location.  In such cases, the phone reports your position as the location of the hotspot or tower.  That's the old way of doing things, and newer phones may not work that way anymore.  I may try to force it though and see how this impacts the behavior.
2017-8-26
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Another test:  This time I turned off location services of my phone to see how the spark and app would behave.  When I attempted to set home point to rc location, I received an error indicating that my gps signal was weak.  After I turned location back on, I was able to set home point.

I was unable to simulate my phone selecting a home point of a tower or hotspot (a location near me but not my precise location).  Phones may not do that anymore.
2017-8-26
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looks like expected behaviour to me. No Gps on phone is detected
2017-8-26
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-26 10:24
I had another theory as well...  there are gps modes of the phone where it can't/won't pinpoint your precise location, but it will use local towers and hotspots to identify your location.  In such cases, the phone reports your position as the location of the hotspot or tower.  That's the old way of doing things, and newer phones may not work that way anymore.  I may try to force it though and see how this impacts the behavior.

Exactly... Phones use a combination of GPS, tower triangulation and I suspect Wifi mapping to determine location.   I used to use my phone with a Bluetooth GPS to map my bike rides.. With the bluetooth GPS they were spot on.. but if I let the phones location services map my bike rides the tracks were all over the place, sometimes a block off.   It has been a few years, so maybe they phones are better now.. but I also suspect that "home point has been updated, check it on the map" is meant for this exact scenario :-)
2017-8-26
Use props
ZukySpark
lvl.4
Portugal

The mobile i was using was the iphone 6. The blue dot ( my position checking on the map is correct and updated). By a reason i dont know at app it said it updated the home point but it did not...
2017-8-27
Use props
ZukySpark
lvl.4
Portugal

When you update the home point. The distance showed in the app update should be updated to the new distance between you and spark right? It did not
IMG_3459.PNG
IMG_3460.PNG
2017-8-27
Use props
Bozora
lvl.3
Flight distance : 142234 ft
Singapore

Hi all

Pls watch my vid

And take note of the 1min 02 sec portion.

The map MUST rotate and orientate as you the the Remote Controller or your Smart Phone. if the Map does not Rotate, exit the app and go back in again.

If the map DOES NOT rotate, home point to Controller WILL NOT be marked or updated correctly  correctly.

This is a bug evident in Iphone and Ipad- may not for users of android phone.

I have reported this issue again and again but no one seems to take notice.

2017-8-27
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Could you refer the tutorial video and export all the data for analysis?

2017-9-3
Use props
PedramN
lvl.4
Netherlands

Hi, I have noticed that in some spark videos on youtube, there is a small red triangle and a "here" sticker with red color beside of it on the map. Is this a more accurate gps version?
2017-9-4
Use props
PedramN
lvl.4
Netherlands

"Here" symbole is present in this picture
IMG_1228.PNG
2017-9-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules