1433 23 2017-8-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans9a7c0aa0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8327 ft
United States

Hello,

Two days ago I was flying and my Phantom 3 Professional went totally out of control on its way home using RTH. It was spinning like a top. I switched to ATTI mode to try and manually fly it back with not much luck. I was taught to do this in the event of a fly away. I've had two previous Fly Aways one worse than the other and using ATTI mode I brought it home and made a normal landing in both cases. This time was different. Atti had little effect so I switched back to GPS a time or two and somehow got it back to me and dumped it into some bushes. I did this for fear of it taking off again climbing or hitting a house, car or a person. I was in a beach environment. If anyone could look at the logs I've uploaded to Healthy Drones and let me know your thoughts I would greatly appreciate it! Here's the Link:[backcolor=rgba(249, 249, 249, 0.3)]http://app.airdata.com/main?share=GfNiCc
2017-8-26
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Can you post the flight logs too? They will tell more than just the air data
2017-8-26
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/
2017-8-26
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Airdata is useless for investigating flight incidents it gives a very brief summary only.
You've been given some misinformation about switching to atti to deal with a "flyaway".
There's no such thing as a flyaway.  There are several kinds of flight incidents with a range of different causes.  Switching to atti might (probably won't) help for some but will be of no use for most.

If your Phantom was spinning and falling that sounds like a hardware problem that's affected one prop.
It could have been a prop, a motor or the esc controlling one motor.

Upload your flight data to Phantomhelp.com and provide a link if you want assistance.
2017-8-26
Use props
fans9a7c0aa0
lvl.2
United States

Ok thank you for your help!
2017-8-26
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

Labroides is right.

I've never understood why people "switch to ATTI" when they lose GPS or start having problems.  With the switch in GPS mode, it will use GPS if it is available.  If it isn't, the aircraft automatically flies in ATTI mode until GPS is restored, when it will automatically switch back.  There is no need to manually flip the switch, all it does is denies you GPS if and when it is restored.  If you are having trouble flying, the mode providing all-the-help-you-can-get would be desirable.  There is no need to ever switch to ATTI mode unless you are a masochist and like flying unassisted by GPS when it is available .

Upload your flight to http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/ and post back here, the forum community has a pretty good track record in determining why incidents occurred.   Curious minds are waiting.

2017-8-27
Use props
fans9a7c0aa0
lvl.2
United States

endotherm, Thank you for your advice! I have uploaded the file to the link you gave me. How do I now get a link here for you guys to look at?
2017-8-27
Use props
fans9a7c0aa0
lvl.2
United States

DJIFlightRecord_2017-08-24_[18-40-39].txt    I'm not sure how to get a link??

Here is the csv file

DJIFlightRecord_2017-08-24_[18-40-39].csv

The KLM files:

DJIFlightRecord_2017-08-24_[18-40-39].kml

Let me know if I have done this wrong.. Thank you !!!!!!!!

Joe
2017-8-27
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Hi Joe,

Sorry to hear about this incident. Did you calibrate your compass before this flight?

Mark G.
2017-8-27
Use props
fans9a7c0aa0
lvl.2
United States

Mark,

Yes I did because it had been a long time since I ad calibrated it. The last calibration before this flight was out of state. After the controlled crash I checked the IMU and it said no calibration needed, but I did it anyway. I have not flown it sense. One important point. I crashed the drone about 2 months ago in Arizona. I had just uploaded the latest firmware, and ( my fault ) did not check the deep settings like return to home as updating the firmware in the past has never changed them. I flew a survey mission ( unpaid just for fun and practice and not for any person or company) and when it came home it started dropping to the RTH point and altitude which was zero. It was in the middles of the day high noon in the Arizona desert and I noticed it descending but did not think much of it. It then went into a blind spot by the sun and I looked at my iPad to see Desert just screaming buy, I looked up and saw the drone coming right for me, before I could put it back to P mode ( I was flying in F mode using Dronedeploy) it hit the dirt flipped over and slid right to my feet all props running and sucking up dirt and rocks. When I got back to San Diego I took it to Drones Made easy Dji certified. Have all four motors replaced, the bottom half replaced and had it cleaned out while it was open. It was tested flow by them, made sure it had the latest update and they said it worked fine in the mean time I purchased a brand new remote for it as my original one the plastic around the antennas had cracked. I had fixed it with super glue and it continued to work fine before the crash but because I'm going commercial soon I just purchased a new remote. So I had half of a brand new drone when this happened. Maybe this crash damaged the compass, but I had successful flights after the repairs. Other than. It refused to go above 100 feet without me restarting the DJI go app each flight, and this day of flying I had a horrible connection. I've had it for 2 years and it's been a tank, I've flown it out in the middle of now where with observers almost three miles and perfect video signal and control response.  So my question is was this some kind of horrible interference? I had a friend right beside me flying a Mavic with no problem, but the has dual ims and dual compasses, or have I damaged my drone in the first crash, Doese the remote I purchased not work right? I'm afraid to fly it now espically on a commercial job until I know what happened. Thank you for your concern!
2017-8-27
Use props
endotherm
First Officer

Australia

fans9a7c0aa0 Posted at 2017-8-27 08:04
DJIFlightRecord_2017-08-24_[18-40-39].txt    I'm not sure how to get a link??

Here is the csv file

No links to download the files there.  Normally, you upload your record to PhantomHelp, in the web browser it will return a map with your flight track and columns of data.  Just copy the address from the top of the browser (it will look something like: http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/ABC123XXXYYYZZZ/)and paste it in a message here.  That will link to your flight and we can download kml and csv at our leisure directly from the site.
2017-8-27
Use props
fans9a7c0aa0
lvl.2
United States

Got you makes perfect sense. Link coming in the next hour!
2017-8-28
Use props
fans9a7c0aa0
lvl.2
United States

Here's the link.. Any comments are greatly appreciated. I want to know if I did something wrong, or the drone just experienced extreme interference. I'm afraid to fly it and really just want to know if it's safe to fly! Again a Mavic Pro was in flight at the same time with zero trouble!
http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/TGBPRYWT1K1RDVK89OST/

2017-8-28
Use props
fans9a7c0aa0
lvl.2
United States

2017-8-28
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

I'm no expert by any means, but looks like another case of taking off without a full charge on battery. One of the cells is having trouble and your % values was probably false.
At least you got it back!  Think I would invest in a new battery.
2017-8-28
Use props
fans9a7c0aa0
lvl.2
United States

I did not know it was not ok to take off without a full battery. I ALWAYS return home at 30% no matter what, so are you saying if I take off at 100% and bring it back at 70% I can't take off again? That is what I always do until I hit 30%. I won't take off at 35% even but had no idea I should not do any flight below 100%
2017-8-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Looking at your flight data, I'm having trouble matching it to the description of the incident.
It appears that you have uploaded data for a different flight which went successfully.
2017-8-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fans9a7c0aa0 Posted at 2017-8-28 11:45
I did not know it was not ok to take off without a full battery. I ALWAYS return home at 30% no matter what, so are you saying if I take off at 100% and bring it back at 70% I can't take off again? That is what I always do until I hit 30%. I won't take off at 35% even but had no idea I should not do any flight below 100%

If you fly and land and take off soon after, you'll be OK.
But don't launch with a battery that has been sitting around for a week and discharging.
That is asking for trouble.
2017-8-28
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-8-28 15:05
If you fly and land and take off soon after, you'll be OK.
But don't launch with a battery that has been sitting around for a week and discharging.
That is asking for trouble.

Labroides is an expert and is certainly super intelligent about this stuff.  If he says anything, you can take it to the bank.
2017-8-28
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I would recommend you to start a case and send it in for diagnosis and repair. You can get support from here: http://www.dji.com/support.
2017-8-28
Use props
fans9a7c0aa0
lvl.2
United States

Labroides, I made sure all batteries were fully charged by using my charger about 3 hours before I went flying. NO matter what the lights show I put them on the charger before I go out for every flight. I understand about using batteries that have been sitting. Mine are on the 10 day start to discharge, however I never take that for granted. I always charge before flying.
2017-8-29
Use props
fans9a7c0aa0
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan thanks for the link, I'll open a case but my drone is 2 years old???
2017-8-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fans9a7c0aa0 Posted at 2017-8-28 08:48

The flight data you uploaded is from a different flight which went successfully.
2017-8-29
Use props
endotherm
First Officer

Australia

fans9a7c0aa0 Posted at 2017-8-28 08:48

The PhantomHelp file you posted here is dated 6.40pm August 24, and the AirData record (which is the problem one I gather) is dated 7.13pm August 24.
2017-8-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules