Any word on the next drone? Phantom 5 maybe??
9972 37 2017-8-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans9a7c0aa0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8327 ft
United States

Just wondering if anyone has heard of if and when DJI will release their next drone in the Phantom or Mavic Series? If so when and what will be better about it?

2017-8-27
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've seen rumors of both a Phantom 5 and Mavic Pro 2. It's also been suggested that since the Mavic has the Pro designation, there may be a Mavic Advanced and Standard like they did with the Phantoms.
2017-8-27
Use props
fans9a7c0aa0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8327 ft
United States

They have a weird marketing approach of releasing drones that don't do as much. They should release drones that do more!! With the Spark, I think they have a good toy drone. I want some real improvements on the Phantom in terms of obstacle avoidance same with Mavic 360 degrees of obstacle avoidance would be nice!
2017-8-28
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ahem, the Spark although marketed to the casual user is hardly a toy.  Have you flown one?
2017-8-28
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

I think they need to get all the stuff fixed first with what they have out there before launching anything else.  More existing problems need to be addressed before creating more.
2017-8-28
Use props
djiuser_55RMcis
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-8-28
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

I read somewhere the other day that DJI would possibly be making an announcement about the Phantom 5 around Sept. 15, 2017. I am cautious too about a new model. Plenty of issues with the last few releases. As much as I want to look forward to a newer faster Phantom, I don't think I will be on the pre-order list. I really think DJI jumped the gun a bit with the Spark, Mavic, and I have to feel for those Phantom 4 Pro people who only a short time after it's release came the Advanced and the Standard version. It sure looks like they are in it to make money and weed out the competition in my mind. It would be nice if they would slow down a bit, and spend more time testing the products before a release.  Pretty sure that isn't going to happen.
2017-8-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

There are no credible rumours.  
Just a bunch of people like you asking the question and some with no knowledge offering guesses.
And there's still someone pedaling this hoax based on DJI's Phantom X concept from two years ago.
http://bestdroneunderhalfapound.com/dji-phantom-5-mavic-pro/
Hehasn't even noticed that current DJI drones have surpassed the technology he thinks is coming.

DJI is pretty good at keeping a lid on things until they are ready to release.
2017-8-28
Use props
TN Lone Wolf
lvl.3
Flight distance : 963251 ft
United States

You want to know what I'm waiting for DJI to make?  A fixed wing drone with an Inspire-like 360 degree camera on the bottom, and greater endurance than current quadcopters.
2017-8-28
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

djiuser_55RMcis Posted at 2017-8-28 10:37
They have plenty, plenty of problems in the latest crapware updates to the P4P series. I would hope that they fix those before releasing anything new. Having said that, DJI feels that the end customer is their beta tester. So they might release stuff before it's truly ready and care little about releasing buggy crap- which they've done up to this point. Their programmers whom hey refer to as "engineers" are some pretty second rate folks.

djiuser_55RMcis, other absurd statements from within your reply aside, you concluded that "Their programmers whom they refer to as "engineers" are some pretty second rate folks."

Do yourself a favor and read this sentence again. Pause for a while, sip your beer and read again ... Are you absolutely, positively sure this is what you want to say at this party? ...

And - before you leave us - please flush the toilet ...
2017-8-28
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Thanks for your attention. We have not got any news of the next drone for now. I would recommend you to keep an eye of DJI official website.
2017-8-29
Use props
hdlou94
lvl.4
Flight distance : 753163 ft
United States

I think DJI should resolve all the issues we P4P owners are having before worrying about another new model , the more they come out with, the less and less we will be thought about.. again my drone disconnected yesterday at only 800 ft away from home point, I am sick of it...
2017-8-29
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

Ok, here is the article I was referring to. Not saying there is anything to it. But they sure go into a lot of detail about what we could expect. Yeah, I do think it will not come from until they are ready. I found it interesting though.
May be all hype. Just thought I would pass long what I had read.
At the bottom of the article they maintain that on Sept. 15, 2017, the Phantom 5 will be given a release date.

Latest DJI Phantom 5 rumors
2017-8-29
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-8-28 21:53
djiuser_55RMcis, other absurd statements from within your reply aside, you concluded that "Their programmers whom they refer to as "engineers" are some pretty second rate folks."

Do yourself a favor and read this sentence again. Pause for a while, sip your beer and read again ... Are you absolutely, positively sure this is what you want to say at this party? ...

Yeah, I agree here.... The app itself is a pretty amazing piece of software.... It's complicated, comprehensive, and works seamlessly with a piece of flying hardware while taking pictures and writing exacting logs at 10X per second.  There may be some issues from time to time, but these folks get a 100% in my book.  Their customer service is another issue, but the drones, the software, the hardware... No... I am very impressed!
2017-8-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-8-29 04:24
Ok, here is the article I was referring to. Not saying there is anything to it. But they sure go into a lot of detail about what we could expect. Yeah, I do think it will not come from until they are ready. I found it interesting though.
May be all hype. Just thought I would pass long what I had read.
At the bottom of the article they maintain that on Sept. 15, 2017, the Phantom 5 will be given a release date.

That article is 100% hoax.
It's based on DJI's Phantom X concept video which came out two years ago and is very well known.
The author didn't even notice that a lot of the tech he waffled on about is less advanced than what we already have in current drones.
Ignore it because it's nonsense.
2017-8-29
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-8-29 05:36
That article is 100% hoax.
It's based on DJI's Phantom X concept video which came out two years ago and is very well known.
The author didn't even notice that a lot of the tech he waffled on about is less advanced than what we already have in current drones.

Well, good & bad to hear I guess. Good because I hadn't really seen this before, but can relate to what you are saying about that concept video. Didn't know that was around for a couple years. Anyway, bad because I would like to see a new model, but like we have all mentioned......I want it to be a proven product instead of just throwing another model out there. There a re plenty of issues with current models it appears.
Thanks Labroides.
2017-8-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-8-29 05:47
Well, good & bad to hear I guess. Good because I hadn't really seen this before, but can relate to what you are saying about that concept video. Didn't know that was around for a couple years. Anyway, bad because I would like to see a new model, but like we have all mentioned......I want it to be a proven product instead of just throwing another model out there. There a re plenty of issues with current models it appears.
Thanks Labroides.

Don't be too quick to dismiss the drones that DJI sells.
The P4 pro and adv, the Mavic and Spark as well as the Inspire 2 have all been great successes since the day they were released.
Mine works flawlessly as do those of every flyer I know.
I think you get a false perception around here.
2017-8-29
Use props
Spyder3534
lvl.3
Flight distance : 32375 ft
United States

I feel like DJI has reached iphone 6 status with the Phantom line of drones.  Meaning the future enhancements to the product will be minor such as longer battery life, faster speed, higher camera frame rates/resolution, ect.  I think the Mavic could get 360 OA and a larger sensor so there is room to upgrade on that product line but the Phantom is a mature product.
2017-8-29
Use props
Spyder3534
lvl.3
Flight distance : 32375 ft
United States

I'd like to see a Mavic 2
2017-8-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-29 02:21
Thanks for your attention. We have not got any news of the next drone for now. I would recommend you to keep an eye of DJI official website.

I have heard that response before ;)
2017-8-29
Use props
fans61699a75
First Officer
Flight distance : 24897940 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I have seen pictures of the mavic platinum. Will be presented in berlin
2017-8-29
Use props
fans61699a75
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

Looks a bit the same as mavic pro , but some what more agressive props and camera/gimbal looks bigger
2017-8-29
Use props
fans61699a75
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

But if i were dji , i would first sort out the spark issues, before releasing the new mavic
2017-8-29
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree with everyone here that says DJI needs to fix what they have before they move on to something else.

I think one of the biggest problems for DJI right now (and this is a VERY typical problem for growing companies, especially computer related)... is the unification of software that supports multiple platforms into a single application (DJIGO).  Show me a software company, and I'll show you a company that at some point, created bloatware that no-one loved (MS Office?  iTunes? etc.).  In the past year or so, DJI has doubled (or tripled) their platforms and rolled much of the support into one application.  They have also added a startling amount of functionality to DJIGO, unfortunately, without enough effective beta testing.  So...

DJI...  keep dialing in your existing product please.  Another platform(drone) won't help your bottom line if you keep losing customers due to buggy software.  As I have said elsewhere, your competitors are catching up to you.  The alternatives are getting better.  So please just up your game to your base, then expand.  This is a tough lesson that a lot of companies have had to learn the hard way.
2017-8-29
Use props
SM-17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 179288 ft
Netherlands

I have no words about the phantom 5 etc.but one thing is for sure, i dont want to spend another year being a beta tester.
2017-8-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-8-29 12:35
I agree with everyone here that says DJI needs to fix what they have before they move on to something else.

I think one of the biggest problems for DJI right now (and this is a VERY typical problem for growing companies, especially computer related)... is the unification of software that supports multiple platforms into a single application (DJIGO).  Show me a software company, and I'll show you a company that at some point, created bloatware that no-one loved (MS Office?  iTunes? etc.).  In the past year or so, DJI has doubled (or tripled) their platforms and rolled much of the support into one application.  They have also added a startling amount of functionality to DJIGO, unfortunately, without enough effective beta testing.  So...

As I have said elsewhere, your competitors are catching up to you.  The alternatives are getting better.

Which other makers are catching up?
Which alternatives are getting better?
You must know of some drones I haven't heard of.
None have anything to come close to Lightbridge
None have anything like the range of DJI's machines.
None have a 20MP camera
2017-8-29
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-8-29 14:17
As I have said elsewhere, your competitors are catching up to you.  The alternatives are getting better.

Hi Labroides....

The best drones are the ones you can fly.  My P4 is a brick for the past two months after FW update.  I didn't say that the other manufacturers are on par with DJI, but they are working hard.  Yuneek is still behind, but they are selling and I know quite a few people who love that they paid for a 6 prop drone with 360 degree camera and retractable landing gear (and a pretty sweet RC with built-in monitor) for LESS than the cost of a P4.  

So, no, there are none that are on par, but they are not far behind.  I love that the Splashdrone can fly in the rain, can be submerged in the water (can take off from in the water), it floats in case it crashes in the water, has a built-in payload catch system (remote controlled) and more.  

Apple used to have a valid claim that none of its competitors are on par, and they floundered that lead back in the day.  Apple OWNED the graphical user interface.  Windows was still using terminal commands...  Then Bill Gates upset the course of history by copying the GUI and winning a lawsuit with Apple for not much more than a slap.  The rest is history.

DJI used to be pretty much the only player in town.  Now there are dozens, and they are closing in.  

I'm a huge fan of brand loyalty, and I am loyal to DJI.  But I can't afford to be if they don't get their act together in terms of software/firmware stability.
2017-8-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-8-29 14:45
Hi Labroides....

The best drones are the ones you can fly.  My P4 is a brick for the past two months after FW update.  I didn't say that the other manufacturers are on par with DJI, but they are working hard.  Yuneek is still behind, but they are selling and I know quite a few people who love that they paid for a 6 prop drone with 360 degree camera and retractable landing gear (and a pretty sweet RC with built-in monitor) for LESS than the cost of a P4.  

The others are still making drones to compete with a P3 standard using wifi.
And while DJI have been releasing new models over the last year, the others are still pushing the same old stuff.
I don't see any hint of catching up happening at the moment.
2017-8-29
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-8-29 14:45
Hi Labroides....

"Apple OWNED the graphical user interface."

Almost, but not quite.

"The first commercially available computer with a GUI was the 1979 PERQ workstation, manufactured by Three Rivers Computer Corporation. In 1981, Xerox eventually commercialized the Alto in the form of a new and enhanced system – the Xerox 8010 Information System – more commonly known as the Xerox Star.[15][16] These early systems spurred many other GUI efforts, including the Apple Lisa (which presented the concept of menu bar and window controls) in 1983, the Apple Macintosh 128K in 1984, and the Atari ST with Digital Research's GEM, and Commodore Amiga in 1985."
2017-8-29
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-29 15:08
"Apple OWNED the graphical user interface."

Almost, but not quite.

Aardvark,

heh... I'm going to give you a "Not Quite" to your "Not Quite"... lol  You are sorta talking apples to my oranges.
Feel free to google the story... pretty wild what went down that gave MS the GUI.  Massive goof on Apples part
2017-8-29
Use props
djiuser_55RMcis
Banned

United States

2017-8-29
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

djiuser_55RMcis Posted at 2017-8-29 15:56
Hey there fan-boi! I've got an article for you to read, and then make excuses for:

https://www.suasnews.com/2017/08/why-should-we-trust-dji/

Hey troll boy ... I read the piece and can't find anything at all of any significance for civilian users.
What did you find particularly significant?

All I saw was the same nonsense that Suas News keeps delivering.
They get so excited when they think they have anything even vaguely negative about DJI.

Now when are you going to do anything that adds to discussion on anything?
All you've ever done is tell everyone how much you don't like DJI.
2017-8-29
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-8-29 15:37
Aardvark,

heh... I'm going to give you a "Not Quite" to your "Not Quite"... lol  You are sorta talking apples to my oranges.

"Feel free to google the story... "

Google it ? I remember it

I do remember seeing a demo of some of the first macs with a mouse (thought they'd never catch on :-( ).
That was at the science centre in Toronto 1985.
2017-8-29
Use props
Mabou2
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-8-29 16:58
"Feel free to google the story... "

Google it ? I remember it

old like me eh Aardvark?  

I worked at Apple in Cupertino right when Steve returned.  I worked for Mac OS Engineering for four years in Infinite Loop 1.  I remember when Steve abruptly called for an all-hands meeting.  About 5000 of us gathered around steve as he pulled the black cloak off the first iMac.  Pretty much NONE of us knew about it until Steve showed us.  We never even heard about something in the works.  Anyway, he pulled off the cloak, and all I could think was  "That's it.  Were making toy computers now... we're done."

Who knew that the iMac would be significantly responsible for the start of Apples turnaround?  I certainly didn't. Anyway,  Until later Aardvark... Onward and Upward.
2017-8-29
Use props
hdlou94
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-8-29 14:17

Range??? what range !! I fly in an open space where you can see up to 20-30 miles out, I can't get over 1 mile away without some sort of disconnect, I have been complaining for 6 months about this, I fly in my own back yard and the drone disconnects at 800 ft away,, I don't understand why when i was able to fly up to one mile away before this last upgrade.. It sounds to me like there are a lot more complaints then DJI cares to acknowledge..
2017-8-30
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

hdlou94 Posted at 2017-8-30 02:40
Range??? what range !! I fly in an open space where you can see up to 20-30 miles out, I can't get over 1 mile away without some sort of disconnect, I have been complaining for 6 months about this, I fly in my own back yard and the drone disconnects at 800 ft away,, I don't understand why when i was able to fly up to one mile away before this last upgrade.. It sounds to me like there are a lot more complaints then DJI cares to acknowledge..

I don't know what's stopping your range but mine works just fine and so do most I'm aware of.
I was talking about wifi vs Lightbridge.
No other manufacturer has done anything to catch up since DJI brought out Lightbridge with the first P3 drones a couple of years back.
2017-8-30
Use props
djiuser_55RMcis
Banned

United States

2017-8-30
Use props
hdlou94
lvl.4
United States

djiuser_55RMcis Posted at 2017-8-30 03:50
Lieutenant Fan Boi strikes again! There are definitel range and connection issues since the last  "update" of the crapware.  It is common knowledge.

Very true, I am glad others are speaking up on this issue, and maybe the captain has special privileges that others don't..
2017-8-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules