MAVIC vs PHANTOM4 - Which has better wind resistance?
5820 13 2017-8-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_8R25bLy
lvl.1

Germany

Hello Community,
I´m a relatively new to drone flying and planning to purchase my first DJI-Drone soon. Currently I´m struggeling between the Mavic and the Phantom 4 - I really want to take the drone with me at trips, therefore the mavic would be my first choice. Camera seems to be the same too (except of the field of view, which is smaller) and the maximum flight radius is even bigger (DJI OcuSync). Speed is almost the same too, same with the battery power. Now there´s only one thing left to be questioned - the wind resistance. As the Phantom 4 is bigger, it should have better wind resistance, shouldn´t it? But there are reviews saying, the mavic would have the same resistance, which kinda confuses me. Who would gain the point for "better wind-resistance"? Am I right with the other aspects I stated? Have you mavic users had problems with flying the mavic in specific heights?

Thanks in advance,
DjiDroneDude

2017-8-27
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would say the P4 has a better wind resistance due to the weight ( I had a P4) and P4 has a slightly better camera than the mavic.  I am acutally thinking or purchasing another Phantom series just because of the better camera.
2017-8-27
Use props
TN Lone Wolf
lvl.3
Flight distance : 963251 ft
United States

I've flown both the Phantom 4 and the Mavic.  The Phantom 4 seems to take to the wind better, likely due to it's greater mass and smooth lines.  Flying both just minutes apart on the same windy day, the Mavic gave me high wind warnings, while my Phantom gave me none.  Another difference I noticed is the Phantom seems to turn and angle its camera more smoothly.  That said, the Mavic is certainly more portable than the Phantom.

While they're both great drones, I prefer my Phantom 4.
2017-8-27
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

TN Lone Wolf Posted at 2017-8-27 11:51
I've flown both the Phantom 4 and the Mavic.  The Phantom 4 seems to take to the wind better, likely due to it's greater mass and smooth lines.  Flying both just minutes apart on the same windy day, the Mavic gave me high wind warnings, while my Phantom gave me none.  Another difference I noticed is the Phantom seems to turn and angle its camera more smoothly.  That said, the Mavic is certainly more portable than the Phantom.

You'd think due to the large feet in the Phantom design that there'd be a lot more drag, but I do keep seeing people say the Phantom does better in windy conditions. Maybe the motors are more powerful?
2017-8-27
Use props
TN Lone Wolf
lvl.3
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-8-27 12:21
You'd think due to the large feet in the Phantom design that there'd be a lot more drag, but I do keep seeing people say the Phantom does better in windy conditions. Maybe the motors are more powerful?

I think it has to do with the shape.  The Phantom 4 has smooth, aerodynamic curves, while the Mavic is kind of blocky with a lot of flat surfaces along the front, sides, and arms.
2017-8-27
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
Romania

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-8-27 12:21

You are right! I

t is the power of the motors fighting winds. The P4 has more thrust but the MP is more stable because of it's smaller footprint!
2017-8-27
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i will leave these here:

2017-8-27
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-8-27 16:30
i will leave these here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D01BMCexPRI

Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference.
2017-8-27
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-8-27 16:53
Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference.

exactly as i thought too..  now that's the standard phantom 4 not the pro.. but ill wager a bet that it's fairly identical.
2017-8-27
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I have both a Mavic and a P4Pro and both are stable in wind. The P4Pro is definitely faster except in the RTH where the Mavic returns at a higher speed.
The P4Pro certainly has a better camera but unless you need the camera for professional shots, the Mavic camera is good enough.
There is one instance where the Mavic beats the P4Pro and that is landing on an uneven surface. Even if you use a landing pad, if the ground is uneven or on a bit of an angle and there is wind, the Mavic just lands flat because it is so low to the ground but the P4Pro can tip over.
2017-8-27
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

in my limited experiance, wind is hardly an issue unless you fighting 20mph gusts.  specially on mavic and P4pro.. in terms of which handles it better, i say its a draw.  i would rather have the Mavic pro out in the wind, its more streamlined i think and the phantom is heavier and less streamlined so fighting 2 forces head one.. gravity trying to pull that extra weight down and wind tryign to shove you in some direction..... that my theory.. i think mavic gets closer to the ideal balance where enough weight to fight wind but not so much that fighting to stay up as well, and its streamlined enough that wind rolls over smaller body easier.. but then again phantom 4 pro has stronger motors, but its, i guess if the wind really kicking up, maybe phantom has the edge...just because the motors a tad stronger than mavic's

i only owned a spark and a mavic, so i am no authority on this..... my ex sparky had no issues with 15mph winds when returning to me in the pouring rain. both head on wind and cross breeze because massive storm caught up to us..  my mavic has only fight up to i think a 10 mph wind and tbh i dont think i noticed it it was so stable.

in terms of video quality while fighting wind, it's hard to say, both actually great but i think the phantom edges out here slightly because of the decentralized camera/gimbal rig and wider field of view whereas mavic has camera right under its chin so the range of movement is little less.., but neither are ideal for recording while fighting winds..      

2017-8-27
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

They possess the same wind resistance capacity which is up to 10 m/s. We don't suggest flying the Phantom series and Mavic when the wind speed exceeding 10 m/s.
2017-8-28
Use props
DjiDroneDude
lvl.1

Germany

TN Lone Wolf Posted at 2017-8-27 11:51

So you say you´d prefer the Phantom 4. Did you ever take it onto trips? When yes, did you have to pay for an extra baggage? Would you, even though it is less work taking the mavic, take the Phantom 4 with you?
At the same time, have you ever travelled with the mavic? When yes, how were the pictures (acceptable, bad, good, movie-quality)? Where did you fly (high, low, ground, special terrain)?
What would you guys in the community rather take with you onto a trip? The big Phantom 4 (better camera qualty, better wind-resistance) or the small mavic (better portability)?
Thanks for all answers so far!
- DjiDroneDude
2017-8-28
Use props
TN Lone Wolf
lvl.3
United States

DjiDroneDude Posted at 2017-8-28 01:57
So you say you´d prefer the Phantom 4. Did you ever take it onto trips? When yes, did you have to pay for an extra baggage? Would you, even though it is less work taking the mavic, take the Phantom 4 with you?
At the same time, have you ever travelled with the mavic? When yes, how were the pictures (acceptable, bad, good, movie-quality)? Where did you fly (high, low, ground, special terrain)?
What would you guys in the community rather take with you onto a trip? The big Phantom 4 (better camera qualty, better wind-resistance) or the small mavic (better portability)?

I should emphasize that I don't own the Mavic I fly.  It belongs to my university, so I only fly it for university related business.  I personally haven't taken it very high, ~40 meters if I recall correctly.

I have not yet taken the Phantom 4 with me on a trip that requires air travel.  However, I have taken it with me to various locations and events locally, along with my laptop.  While, yes, the Phantom's case is very bulky, I don't feel encumbered by it.  However, what you have to understand is that I'm an outdoorsy person, and packing around extra weight and bulk especially when on foot is something I'm accustomed to.  But, as I said before, the Mavic is certainly more easily transportable than the Phantom, even over the short distances across campus.

As far as the quality of images/videos from both, I would say there is no difference between the Mavic and Phantom.  The only area I feel either drone has the edge in this area is that the Phantom seems to yaw and tilt its camera more smoothly, resulting in smoother video if you're in motion.

I prefer my Phantom 4 because I have far more experience with it than the Mavic.  I'm simply more comfortable at its controls.
2017-8-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules