A Container Ship in Savannah!
1541 35 2017-8-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Syphon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 525302 ft
United States

I was flying around Savannah and was able to get some shots of a huge container ship coming out of port. Was pretty exciting to capture.

What ships have others caught? Any tips on shots of ships like this?
2017-8-27
Use props
Realstinger
lvl.2
United States

nice great video , I loved the direct overhead of the cargo, looked like a bookshelf on the water. Kool Stuff thumbs up
2017-8-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice nice!
It would be nice to fly close by the ship, but that would be rather foolish.
2017-8-29
Use props
Syphon
lvl.1
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-8-29 13:48
Nice nice!
It would be nice to fly close by the ship, but that would be rather foolish.

Yeah I wanted to go closer but the aircraft started acting up. Not sure if all the communication stuff on the ship was causing issues or what but decided to stay at a safe distance. I then bought it home and grounded it for the trip because it started randomly spinning when I was trying to land. I put new firmware before I left for the trip and didn’t test fly it so my fault.
2017-8-30
Use props
MavicMatt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68330 ft
United States

Nice video!! I loved the beginning view with it coming under the bridge!
2017-8-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Good thinking for sure!
2017-8-30
Use props
rebelmark
lvl.1

United States

What settings did you use and any filters?
2017-8-31
Use props
Lobstah Mobstah
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1218379 ft
United States

Great video.  I think that bridge is interesting too!  I drove through Savannah this summer and stopped in Forsyth Park to walk the dogs and fly my Mavic.  I was practicing the POI function around the confederate monument because I thought it would be an interesting shot.  I got a lot of comments such as, "Trying to get some shots of it before they tear it down huh?"  I didn't know at the time of any efforts to take it down.  I just was trying out that feature.  Now only 2 month later, that issue has gotten a lot more press and caused quite a bit of turmoil.  Not sure if I'd fly it there now.  I wonder if I'd get hassled.  
2017-8-31
Use props
Syphon
lvl.1
United States

rebelmark Posted at 2017-8-31 06:08
What settings did you use and any filters?

Sorry missed your reply.

I flew this with no filters and actually I had just the default settings setup. I did do some slight color grading in Adobe Premier. It was an overcast day so not a lot of bright light.
2017-9-24
Use props
Syphon
lvl.1
United States

Lobstah Mobstah Posted at 2017-8-31 06:53
Great video.  I think that bridge is interesting too!  I drove through Savannah this summer and stopped in Forsyth Park to walk the dogs and fly my Mavic.  I was practicing the POI function around the confederate monument because I thought it would be an interesting shot.  I got a lot of comments such as, "Trying to get some shots of it before they tear it down huh?"  I didn't know at the time of any efforts to take it down.  I just was trying out that feature.  Now only 2 month later, that issue has gotten a lot more press and caused quite a bit of turmoil.  Not sure if I'd fly it there now.  I wonder if I'd get hassled.

Ha. Yeah I was going to goto that park and get some footage but the Mavic started acting up on me during the containership flight. Started randomly spinning and not responding. Didn't want to fly it where there were people until I could get home and troubleshoot it.
2017-9-25
Use props
Little John
lvl.3
Flight distance : 192244 ft
United Kingdom

Great video how close and how high were you?

Thanks
2017-9-25
Use props
Syphon
lvl.1
United States

Little John Posted at 2017-9-25 09:40
Great video how close and how high were you?

Thanks

I was at 400ft AGL. I wanted to get the entire ship from above, but, realized I would have to go way higher. That ship was about 115ft tall so I was about 285feet over top of it. I did keep my distance as I did not want to wreck into the ship and have the Mavic take a ride back to China lol.
2017-9-25
Use props
Little John
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Syphon Posted at 2017-9-25 11:30
I was at 400ft AGL. I wanted to get the entire ship from above, but, realized I would have to go way higher. That ship was about 115ft tall so I was about 285feet over top of it. I did keep my distance as I did not want to wreck into the ship and have the Mavic take a ride back to China lol.

Thanks for the info. I want to take some video and photos of the container ships and oil tankers as they pass where I live.  I've only just got my Mavic and I'm still getting used to flying it and I don't want to get too close but I would like to get some cool shots as in your video.
2017-9-25
Use props
Little John
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I forgot to say it might have been one of the ships radars that effected your Mavic .
2017-9-25
Use props
MAStetz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26316 ft
United States

Syphon Posted at 2017-9-25 11:30

well by law if the ship was 115' AGL you could have gone 515' AGL you are allowed 400' above a structure but you also have to be careful since most of the country is covered in class E airspace that starts at 700' AGL but anyhow you broke the law by flying directly over the ship.
2017-9-25
Use props
Lamplighter55
lvl.4
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

Syphon Posted at 2017-8-30 12:52
Yeah I wanted to go closer but the aircraft started acting up. Not sure if all the communication stuff on the ship was causing issues or what but decided to stay at a safe distance. I then bought it home and grounded it for the trip because it started randomly spinning when I was trying to land. I put new firmware before I left for the trip and didn’t test fly it so my fault.

Yup radar will create interference in the 2/5Ghz frequency spectrum. You might be aware for this from news footage shot on navy ships with the reporter's camera electronics picking up the sweeping radar signal - which the viewers can hear as a regular static on the broadcast.
2017-9-25
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 450075 ft
  • >>>
United States

MAStetz Posted at 2017-9-25 12:55
well by law if the ship was 115' AGL you could have gone 515' AGL you are allowed 400' above a structure but you also have to be careful since most of the country is covered in class E airspace that starts at 700' AGL but anyhow you broke the law by flying directly over the ship.

I was going to ask about that.  Many of you get some really great shots over ships and structures, but I keep wondering which ones are legal.   I don't think I'd have the guts to fly over a ship...

LP
2017-9-25
Use props
Syphon
lvl.1
United States

Yeah, didn't want to try and adjust the max flight height in settings and wasn't sure exact height of the ship, etc.

I did look up the rules/laws before flying and couldn't find any law that states you can't fly over one. I did do everything to keep it a safe flight, didn't try to do any risky shots. Does anyone know where the laws are on this? I am not normally near a port so I probably won't be doing any other flights like this. Thanks for the info.
2017-9-25
Use props
MAStetz
lvl.1
United States

Syphon Posted at 2017-9-25 17:29
Yeah, didn't want to try and adjust the max flight height in settings and wasn't sure exact height of the ship, etc.

I did look up the rules/laws before flying and couldn't find any law that states you can't fly over one. I did do everything to keep it a safe flight, didn't try to do any risky shots. Does anyone know where the laws are on this? I am not normally near a port so I probably won't be doing any other flights like this. Thanks for the info.

Here is a good start https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_fun/
Pretty much have to follow all the rules for part 107 holders except you have to call every mom n pop corn field airstrip helipad, ama field, and whatever else is around before EACH FLIGHT the official app from the FAA is B4UFly, shows all restrictions from your phones GPS location, I prefer AirMap also a good app it shows part 107 and Hobby restrictions. B4UFly only shows as if your hobby only so it does me no good.Hope this info helps it's only a matter of time before they really start cracking down and the fines are very hefty.
2017-9-25
Use props
MAStetz
lvl.1
United States

Also look up drone u on YouTube they are full of information. Also consider taking your part 107, lots of info on web to help you pass.
2017-9-25
Use props
Syphon
lvl.1
United States

MAStetz Posted at 2017-9-25 19:04
Pretty much have to follow all the rules for part 107 holders except you have to call every mom n pop corn field airstrip helipad, ama field, and whatever else is around before EACH FLIGHT the official app from the FAA is B4UFly, shows all restrictions from your phones GPS location, I prefer AirMap also a good app it shows part 107 and Hobby restrictions. B4UFly only shows as if your hobby only so it does me no good.Hope this info helps it's only a matter of time before they really start cracking down and the fines are very hefty.

Trust me I know the rules, I have been flying for a while.

a.) This location was not within 5 miles of any airport that needed to be contacted. If I would have flown to the south it would have been in an NFZ for a military testing field, but, the river was not.
b.) The restrictions do not talk about flying over a container ship. I was specifically asking for information on that. Not the 101 basics that everyone already knows. I can't find the rules on that.

Also, I have called many airports in the past and helipads to clear my flight with them. I am one of the few that actually do call when within the 5-mile range. Most fliers I know don't bother.
2017-9-26
Use props
MAStetz
lvl.1
United States

Syphon Posted at 2017-9-26 07:36

a.) This location was not within 5 miles of any airport that needed to be contacted. If I would have flown to the south it would have been in an NFZ for a military testing field, but, the river was not.

you want that in black and white where it say's don't fly over a container ship??? I'm not looking for that, i would consider it a obstacle and that would be the first line on the FAA website Keep your UAS less than 400' above ground level (AGL) and remain clear of surrounding obstacles. Did you also know the FAA now considers private property is 500' AGL funny how that works since we can only be 400' AGL it's a lot of little bull crap just no one to enforce it.

PS. Memorial Hospital Heliport is within 5 miles of that area just saying....
2017-9-26
Use props
Syphon
lvl.1
United States

Yes, was looking for the black and white. I tried to find it myself and couldn't. Yes, I did avoid the obstacle of the ship and all others including a crane that was a  little further down the river that was about 250ft up it seems. I stayed way away from the ship at all times, to avoid that obstacle.

Very interesting about the 500' AGL. I think it is funny because the news helicopter can fly over at 500ft with that massive zoom camera and zoom in, but, flying a drone with a camera no more powerful than my iPhone with horrible zoom capabilities can't. I find it kinda funny, but, that has nothing to do with this post, so not going to turn it into one of those posts. I figure I have maybe one more year before drones are no longer allowed to be flown, so going to enjoy it until then.

As for the heliport, I contacted them prior to my trip. They didn't care as long as I didn't fly in that area, which I was WAY away from that hospital. I never even saw a helicopter fly that direction, I am assuming it is not a very active hospital. Not as busy as the hospital in the areas where I live, that's for sure!

2017-9-26
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

2017-9-26
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Brazil

Syphon Posted at 2017-9-26 07:36

Drone police always attentive...
2017-9-26
Use props
MAStetz
lvl.1
United States

Syphon Posted at 2017-9-26 13:25
Yes, was looking for the black and white. I tried to find it myself and couldn't. Yes, I did avoid the obstacle of the ship and all others including a crane that was a  little further down the river that was about 250ft up it seems. I stayed way away from the ship at all times, to avoid that obstacle.

Very interesting about the 500' AGL. I think it is funny because the news helicopter can fly over at 500ft with that massive zoom camera and zoom in, but, flying a drone with a camera no more powerful than my iPhone with horrible zoom capabilities can't. I find it kinda funny, but, that has nothing to do with this post, so not going to turn it into one of those posts. I figure I have maybe one more year before drones are no longer allowed to be flown, so going to enjoy it until then.

BTW I don't think I ever told you that was a cool video! There is a lot of work that needs to be done on drone laws. Like the National Park no drones but you can fly fixed wing unmanned all you want?? On the good side of things a federal judge overturned (don't quote me) I think Massachusetts drone laws and said a city or state does not have authority to control airspace. So don't think it will be gone in a year. I'll try and find the link for that article I just read it today. On another note join your local AMA it's like $80/yr and you get 2.5 mil liability insurance plus your drone has full coverage. Bet all those lost in the water pilots had that because DJI Care doesn't work when you can't give them a drone!
2017-9-26
Use props
MAStetz
lvl.1
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 2017-9-26 13:28
https://youtu.be/lxJJ_aMDht4

Great video! Is all that legal in Brazil? If so must be nice not allowed to do that in the states anymore. Ah the good ole days
2017-9-26
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Brazil

MAStetz Posted at 2017-9-26 20:03
Great video! Is all that legal in Brazil? If so must be nice not allowed to do that in the states anymore. Ah the good ole days

Thank you!! Maybe I broke a rule or 2.... ;-) #dronepolice already noticed...
2017-9-27
Use props
MAStetz
lvl.1
United States

ro_flyer Posted at 2017-9-27 06:26
Thank you!! Maybe I broke a rule or 2.... ;-) #dronepolice already noticed...

damn rats nothing better to do
2017-9-27
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

First off, they aren't "laws" but regulations. Second, 400 feet is an FAA recommendation for recreational flights but a requirement for non-recreational. Third, most of the airspace in the U.S. below 400 feet (where small drones should be flying) is class G, not E. And fourth, violating a regulation isn't the same thing as breaking the law.
2017-10-2
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Does anyone know where the laws are on this?

Yes, but clearly MAStetz doesn't since he keeps giving people incorrect information: there's no regulation (or "law") against what you did. Be careful whose advice you listen to when posting on the internet, because not everyone who thinks they know what they're talking about really does, and that guy has repeatedly given out incorrect information about FAA regulations. Do you want to know why he couldn't cite a specific regulation that supports his claims that you "broke the law"? Because there isn't one.
2017-10-2
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

MAStetz Posted at 2017-9-25 19:04

Pretty much have to follow all the rules for part 107 holders except you have to call every mom n pop corn field airstrip helipad

That's also incorrect: the regulations for recreational flights are separate from and not a superset of those for 107 flights. You really should stop offering advice on FAA regulations since it's clear you're not very familiar with them.
2017-10-2
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Overhead view like Tetris......Nice job dude.
2017-10-2
Use props
Syphon
lvl.1
United States

CoreyB10 Posted at 2017-10-2 03:38
Overhead view like Tetris......Nice job dude.

Yeah I realized after I published the video, that did go on a little long and probably get's boring, but, I thought it was such a cool shot.

I had a blast with my 11 year old just sitting there and watching these huge ships go by. No joke, we saw at least 15 ships go by us. On this flight, I was only planning on filming the river when I saw this ship coming. Was pure luck I caught it on footage!
2017-10-2
Use props
MAStetz
lvl.1
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-10-2 02:47
Pretty much have to follow all the rules for part 107 holders except you have to call every mom n pop corn field airstrip helipad

That's also incorrect: the regulations for recreational flights are separate from and not a superset of those for 107 flights. You really should stop offering advice on FAA regulations since it's clear you're not very familiar with them.

Besides night flight PLEASE enlighten me on what part 107 rule a hobbyist flyer does not have to abide by???
2017-10-4
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

MAStetz Posted at 2017-10-4 06:36

Besides night flight PLEASE enlighten me on what part 107 rule a hobbyist flyer does not have to abide by???

Recreational flights are supposed to follow the regulations for recreational flights, non-recreational / 107 flights are supposed to follow the regulations for non-recreational flights, and information on both is available online. However, if you have a specific question / scenario you're wanting to know about I'll be glad to address it.
2017-10-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules