29120 29120 2017-8-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_osgKdoG
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14337 ft
United Kingdom

Hello
I recently purchased a Dji Spark it arrived on Sat 26th August 2017. I had flown it on Sunday 27th August 2017 and whilst the drone was 173ft in the air we saw a part fall of the spark following that the spark disconnected and just fell. We went to go where the Dji flight record stopped and we searched for 6 hours in total and went back he next day aswell but can not find the spark. I was flying the drone close to me before for 2 minutes not sure why the battery fell out after?
Would it be possible to get a new Dji Spark as it is a manufacturing falt.
Thank You
2017-8-28
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think it's hard to confirm (based on your description) that it was in fact the battery that disconnected and fell.  In fact based on your description, I would conclude with some confidence that whatever it is you saw, it was probably not the battery.

If it was the battery that somehow became detached, there is no residual energy to keep the spark going.  The battery and spark would have come down simultaneously.  The battery might have hit first because the spark has greater aerodynamic drag on the way down, but the descent of both would begin simultaneously.  Based on your description, it sounds like there was enough time to identify one object falling from the spark first, shortly followed by the spark.

That doesn't mean that there wasn't a problem (obviously there was), I'm just making a case against the first object being the battery.

Other members of this forum have reported mixed results in getting a replacement when the craft went down and could not be retrieved.  I know that DJI will want to start with the flight logs from your phone/tablet device.

I wish you luck.
2017-8-28
Use props
HaasinKK
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-28 09:47
I think it's hard to confirm (based on your description) that it was in fact the battery that disconnected and fell.  In fact based on your description, I would conclude with some confidence that whatever it is you saw, it was probably not the battery.

If it was the battery that somehow became detached, there is no residual energy to keep the spark going.  The battery and spark would have come down simultaneously.  The battery might have hit first because the spark has greater aerodynamic drag on the way down, but the descent of both would begin simultaneously.  Based on your description, it sounds like there was enough time to identify one object falling from the spark first, shortly followed by the spark.

The spark was also flying at 31mph so I think that it why it continued for a second then dropped. I it wasn't my battery that came off then I'm not sure what that big could have came off. As the rest of the body is all one peace.
2017-8-28
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

HaasinKK Posted at 2017-8-28 10:17
The spark was also flying at 31mph so I think that it why it continued for a second then dropped. I it wasn't my battery that came off then I'm not sure what that big could have came off. As the rest of the body is all one peace.

Oh, you recovered the body!  I miss-interpreted.  My apologies.

DJI seems to be positively responsive (if not slow) to issues where the body is recovered.  I think you'll get a satisfactory result (though it may take some time).
2017-8-28
Use props
HaasinKK
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-28 10:32

DJI seems to be positively responsive (if not slow) to issues where the body is recovered.  I think you'll get a satisfactory result (though it may take some time).

No not what i mean. i have still not revoverd the body
2017-8-28
Use props
HaasinKK
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-28 10:32

No I still haven't recovered the body, I mean that you can't take any of the pieces off the body except battery and propellers. Sorry for not being clear
2017-8-28
Use props
HomePoint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Once that battery clicks into place, it seems virtually impossible for it to come lose.  I wonder if there have been more reports of instances like this.
2017-8-28
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI will want your flight logs.  If you don't have any experience doing this, the following video will help:

Again, best of luck.  I've not had any issues, and I'm greatly enjoying flying my spark.

2017-8-28
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

We're sorry to hear about the accident.
Just to verify, you have installed the latest firmware for AC and RC before the first flight, right?
Please refer to the tutorial (from 1:08) Charles attached above to export the flight controller log data, then upload the file to Dropbox, and provide us the link, we'll get it analyzed by engineers and let you know what happened, thank you!
2017-8-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

HaasinKK Posted at 2017-8-28 10:17

Your flight log should give you last know coordinates, will also show in your app flight if your drone cut out and fell straight down it shouldn't be to difficult.
2017-8-28
Use props
HaasinKK
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-8-28 20:29
We're sorry to hear about the accident.
Just to verify, you have installed the latest firmware for AC and RC before the first flight, right?
Please refer to the tutorial (from 1:08) Charles attached above to export the flight controller log data, then upload the file to Dropbox, and provide us the link, we'll get it analyzed by engineers and let you know what happened, thank you!

Yes I had installed the latest software for the controller and the spark and I will upload to dropbox then thank you.
2017-8-29
Use props
HaasinKK
lvl.1
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-28 20:52
Your flight log should give you last know coordinates, will also show in your app flight if your drone cut out and fell straight down it shouldn't be to difficult.

Yes we looked at that but still could not find it
2017-8-29
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Have you tried loading your logs to air data, the basic service is free, it gives you more information

https://airdata.com

2017-8-29
Use props
fansd6c0b5ac
lvl.1
Flight distance : 155630 ft
Romania

I bought my DJI Spark in July. Untill now everything went well with it, but last Saturday it crashed. It was flying for 5-7 minutes 15 meters high and in front of my eyes the battery fell out of it and the spark crashed. All four of the motors must be changed, but the body and the battery, that fell off, aren't damaged at all. This wasn't my fault, it wasn't a piloting error. I think this was a manufacturing error. In such case can DJI be held responsible? I think that the approriate approach would be the replacement of the drone by the comany.

This is the last video that the spark recorded, while the case happened:

2017-9-19
Use props
fans98ce1521
New

Oman

I can tell. I had my spark on the beach. Was doing a waves shot while flying over the water sand line. While staring at the spark 30 meters from me I saw the battery eject and both crashed, into the water. The battery is an issue that needs to be rectified. Dji is not supportive either. Drone was completely soaked with salt water and not repairable and I am out $500. Now I have extra batteries and a remote to work for nothing else.
2017-10-7
Use props
Hankmeister
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19465 ft
United States

https://forum.dji.com/thread-115619-1-1.html  the battery latching tabs can be broken off or worn down if the battery is not carefully removed fromSpark
2017-10-7
Use props
spark user
lvl.1
Flight distance : 155630 ft
Romania

Hankmeister Posted at 2017-10-7 09:13
https://forum.dji.com/thread-115619-1-1.html  the battery latching tabs can be broken off or worn down if the battery is not carefully removed fromSpark

In my case everything is perfect, nothing is broken. After I put the battery back, everything fitted perfectly again. DJI only repaired it for money, it didn't matter, that it had varranty.
2017-10-9
Use props
djiuser_07mJlni
New
Flight distance : 699 ft
United States

I've had my Spark a total of 24 hours and the battery just fell off in front of me and it dropped out of the sky. I was able to recover the body but no battery. This is an issue. I  have a 24 hour old drone that just dropped 60 feet or so to the ground.
2018-1-3
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

djiuser_07mJlni Posted at 2018-1-3 22:35
I've had my Spark a total of 24 hours and the battery just fell off in front of me and it dropped out of the sky. I was able to recover the body but no battery. This is an issue. I  have a 24 hour old drone that just dropped 60 feet or so to the ground.

Have you changed your battery recently.  
2018-1-3
Use props
fans8eb776d8
New

United States

I just had the same problem. Was flying at 160 feet only 1000 feet away and my drone fell oit of the sky. Luckily the gps coordinates were very accurate, and I found it. However, the battery is missing. Seeing that the  unit will not operate unless the battery is clipped in,  I'm assuming that the battery will be covered under warrenty. Don't see how this could have been my fault. Battery was not recovered..
This was my 3rd flight.. My trust in this company is a bit shaken..
2018-1-10
Use props
llywellyn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 46617 ft
France

fans8eb776d8 Posted at 2018-1-10 13:58
I just had the same problem. Was flying at 160 feet only 1000 feet away and my drone fell oit of the sky. Luckily the gps coordinates were very accurate, and I found it. However, the battery is missing. Seeing that the  unit will not operate unless the battery is clipped in,  I'm assuming that the battery will be covered under warrenty. Don't see how this could have been my fault. Battery was not recovered..
This was my 3rd flight.. My trust in this company is a bit shaken..

I've got the same problem a few days ago but Sparky was only 1m high.
I've bought a "Non-Slip Battery Strap Lock Securing Tie" and I can use now the battery safely.
I've received it and I've tried it. I think it's a perfect little thing to prevent this.
2018-1-10
Use props
fans3ecbc391
lvl.1
Flight distance : 732881 ft
United States

This seems to be a very real issue with the design of the latches for the Spark batteries. We experience the same thing a couple of weeks back - Spark at 40 feet, suddenly the battery popped off. Spark and battery fell immediately to the ground. This video clearly lays out the problem: http://bit.ly/2DrQBui

DJI has now had our Spark since Jan. 3. Initially they insisted that they would not do a warranty repair and that it had to be taken care of under Care Refresh. But I don't agree. Even the flight logs show the sudden power disconnect - drone at 40 feet then... nothing. No descent, crash, etc. Just the loss of power. Several calls to support are met with, "This will be re-examined and resolved today" but then nothing happens. Starting to get very frustrated. Check those battery seatings carefully! Test them! In our case, DJI has been slow in taking responsibility for what is obviously a manufacturing problem.
2018-1-12
Use props
nicvek
New
Flight distance : 25456 ft
New Zealand

I happened to me on Christmas day 2017. The battery fell off when I changed to sport mode. I landed in sea water. The body was recovered but lost battery. Lodged a claim with DJI with flight data. Until now, still no response.
2018-1-15
Use props
djiuser_AelmS8J
lvl.1
Denmark

2018-1-17
Use props
fansc0c5c2fc
New

Australia

I had the same problem with my spark couple of days ago. The unit was on about 15 meters just two meters in front of my when I heard that the constant noise of the rotors stoped. I looked up and saw how first the battery and then the unit crashed on the asphalt right in front of my eyes. Both unit and batterie are now on the way to Dji for a complete check hope the warranty will cover that because it looks like it's not just happens once or twice. Anyway this makes me scared about flying over water, people or public places because of the chance to hurt someone or something.
2018-1-23
Use props
fansc0c5c2fc
New

Australia

Had the same problem couple of days ago. The unit was on about 15 meters just 2 meters in front of me when I heard that the constant noise of the rotors stoped. I looked up and saw how first the battery and then the unit crashed on the asphalt right in front of my eyes. Unit is now on the way to Dji because two motors are not working properly anymore. Hope the warranty will cover the repair because it looks like a bigger problem and something that happened just once or twice.
2018-1-23
Use props
m1n1s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319915 ft
United Kingdom

The battery latch design is very weak and prone to wear with the constant removal of batteries , since my first crash and destruction of my first spark I have since flown my new spark with an eleastic band around the body and battery to prevent any ejection during flight in sports mode.

This forum is slowly filling up with reports of battery ejection and lost of sparks during flight due to power loss.

DJI need come clean and upgrade us all to Mavic airs
2018-1-23
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This stinks like GoPros initial Karma launch, dodgy batteries. DJI have made the catch bigger on newer batteries, now they need to step up and offer a replace/repair program for the first generation batteries to fix this issue before someone gets hurt.
2018-1-24
Use props
AdamTheGreat
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56991 ft
United States

Malakai_UK Posted at 2018-1-24 02:34
This stinks like GoPros initial Karma launch, dodgy batteries. DJI have made the catch bigger on newer batteries, now they need to step up and offer a replace/repair program for the first generation batteries to fix this issue before someone gets hurt.

Unfortunately, it is the same thing that happens before a traffic light is put in at an intersection. After enough people die or get hurt do they put the light in. DJI won't replace the other batteries because there hasn't been a high enough profile issue. Let a Spark battery fly out and have it hit someone while caught on video... then something will be done after it goes viral.
2018-1-24
Use props
djiuser_RwKQjjb
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23501 ft
South Korea

Me too!!! My SPARK was totally broken an hour ago.
I inserted battery with CLICK sound clearly as usual.  
I took off the SPARK and I was watching my SPARK is going up. The SPARK's altitude was on about 19 meters and just 5 meters in front of me.
But suddenly, noise of the rotors stoped and the SPARK was divide in 2 pieces and fell down to ground.
Just in front of my eyes!
There is no chance that I have not seen it well. The battery was detached in the air evidently .
There was nothing over my head but clear sky.

And this is the result. 20180128_144937.jpg

I can't imagine how the battery could be detached after take off.
It's impossible to turn SPARK on with loosley inserted battery.
I'm sure that this is defect of SPARK battery connection design.
Such an accident should never happen.

It was fortunate that SPARK was not far away from me or no crowd below.

Today is Sunday, so I'm going to call A/S office in Korea tomorrow.
I believe DJI will compensate for my damage.

2018-1-27
Use props
m1n1s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319915 ft
United Kingdom

i'm flying with these or an elastic band stretched over the airframe.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2574130
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2574130/#remixes

at the very least DJI could manufacture something like this and send out free to everyone , enhanced safety , come on DJI step up and address this issue

2018-1-28
Use props
TheThriftyPilot
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10459 ft
United States

I am following this thread.
2018-1-31
Use props
Shade220
lvl.3
Canada

The battery is not sliding in far enough for the latches to snap down into place.  I filed and scraped a bit of the end and corners of the battery, opposite end from the power button.   Scraped the edge of the battery's outer housing where it bumps up against the sparks outer housing, and did the same on the area on the sparks housing.  Scraped the black tabs a bit on the side that locks them onto the spark.   Just removing a paper thickness or two and removing some of the flash from the molding process made all the difference.  When the battery is locked into place, you should be able to push the battery in and out, and see a very slight amount of play.
2018-1-31
Use props
djiuser_pxcbQ1ifIpIY
New

Canada

Same thing happened to me. The drone fell like a rock from a height of 80ft. The battery broke and I had to also replace the gps module.
2018-2-1
Use props
KurtVD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 365299 ft
Switzerland

djiuser_AelmS8J Posted at 2018-1-17 06:01
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nx4B_OwcmM

Thank you for that, very useful video!
2018-2-1
Use props
djiuser_qRoypWAvl2W2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 673 ft
United States

djiuser_pxcbQ1ifIpIY Posted at 2018-2-1 19:18
Same thing happened to me. The drone fell like a rock from a height of 80ft. The battery broke and I had to also replace the gps module.

Same thing happened to me today. The battery detached after 5 minutes of flying. I was in beginner mode too. It was hovering directly above my head, about 150ft up, and both the battery and drone fell within a few feet in front of me. All four propellers and motor shafts were bent up badly, but luckily it fell on grass so most of the body and arms look ok. Gimbal looks to be ok too. The battery fell on a concrete sidewalk and was completely mangled. The battery stayed hot for at least 4 hours afterwards. I suspect some internal fluid was leaking. I was recording, and it stops in mid air with absolutely no sign of any trouble, which again proves that battery detachment was the cause.

I have little doubt this was a manufacturing fault. If the battery was not correctly installed, it should not have flown for 5 minutes. I have sent it to DJI in Texas for warranty repair. I hope they honor it. If they bill me for the repair, I will write it off entirely and go find a different brand.
2018-2-27
Use props
Bijl0130
New
Flight distance : 12398 ft
Belgium

I just had the same. All went fine, spark 30 meters in the air. Battery drops out and everything crashed down, on the road. Spark total loss. It looks as in the picture above, even worse!! I don't know what to say. Such cannot happen. Battery was properly installed, it clicked etc. Will return it for repair. Assume it is guarantee!
2018-3-3
Use props
Ucel007
lvl.1

Indonesia

I use a sticky tape on the side of the body as a safety measure.
2018-3-3
Use props
BeastMaster_101
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1082992 ft
Canada

djiuser_RwKQjjb Posted at 2018-1-27 23:59
Me too!!! My SPARK was totally broken an hour ago.
I inserted battery with CLICK sound clearly as usual.  
I took off the SPARK and I was watching my SPARK is going up. The SPARK's altitude was on about 19 meters and just 5 meters in front of me.

Always hurts me when I see these picture. Agree, there should be a better locking mechanism with the battery
2018-3-3
Use props
droneguy10
New
Flight distance : 3031 ft
United Kingdom

Hey
Same here my brand new drone arrived today first time i flew it in beginner mode..2 mins into the flight i lost connection with the drone  no idea what happened could not find the drone in sight

after walking around considering it was late night and dark with not much lighting in a park i found the battery wedged into the Mud (Luckily the lights were flashing so i was about to see it) and the Drone found it like 20meters away

Seems battery had fallen out somehow...bit freaked out now since i m abeginner and encountered this problem
2018-3-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules