Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI drones gathering data. Is that a problem ?
2047 15 2017-8-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansc2962bbc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 29452 ft
Norway

Hi.  I think this topic has been discussed before, but I bring it up again because finally the Swedish ban on drone flying ended 1 august this year. New more liberal laws makes it possible to fly and take photos and video again thanks god. But when reading the Swedish conditions for publishing video and photo materials on any public platform you need to send in the videos/photos to the authorities to be examined and approved. This because arial recordings could compromise any geographical secrets frome above.  
Yes but are we a bit naive ? Are the autoreties naive or ignorant ? Don´t they know the DJI Mavic and other drones are sofiticated flying "computers" that gather audio (from the controller),video, photo and telemetric data.  As soon as you sync the flight with DJI they have access to it all.  I read this article and it makes me wonder.
At least it makes me a bit concerned.
https://www.suasnews.com/2017/05/global-information-gathering-network-uas-dji-data-collection/

2017-8-28
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

That is why I NEVER sync my data. Period! Control the urge...
2017-8-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

It is usually a good thing to be somewhat suspicious. Especially when some large forces are at stake that have a 'less clean' record on how to deal with conflicts.
2017-8-28
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

im not terribly worried, but it is good to be suspicious and cautious.  i hope an update later on for offline mode allows us to locally sync data to our own servers/drives/etc..   i host a small server for discord bots i own and run privately and its online 24/7 and battery backed up, i also host on a smaller lower power (chinese intel atom based blade server) a PFsense routing solution where i back things up and manage security.
2017-8-28
Use props
Tombolian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 675958 ft
United States

Are you suggesting that when you sync data, you are transmitting audio to DJI?  Just trying to understand...
2017-8-28
Use props
fansc2962bbc
Second Officer
Norway

Thats what the article says. I really don't know.
2017-8-28
Use props
Tombolian
Second Officer
United States

Indeed, that is what it says... huh!  OK, I don't think I like that, and I'm usually chill about privacy issues, but this one seems icky... by default if the user chooses to sync. Ew.  
2017-8-28
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Tombolian Posted at 2017-8-28 13:56
Indeed, that is what it says... huh!  OK, I don't think I like that, and I'm usually chill about privacy issues, but this one seems icky... by default if the user chooses to sync. Ew.

I rather doubt the Mavic is sending downsampled video and audio when syncing your flight records, otherwise syncing flights would take WAY longer than they actually do and the author provides no evidence that this is happening. I suspect thumbnail photos might be sent -- these thumbnails show up in flight records uploaded to Airdata UAV, for instance, so they must be encoded in the binary log files, but video/audio? Color me unconvinced.

2017-8-28
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

He also claims -- with no evidence to support it and no other sources reporting this -- that all that uploaded data can "can be accessed without your knowing consent" through "a simple Google search". Really? Where is it? And why isn't anyone else reporting this and telling us how to access other peoples' flight records?

Just because a semi-reputable web site posts something doesn't make it true. Sure, DJI keeps the flight data we upload but they've never made a secret of that and some of the claims in that article appear to be just plain wrong. If you don't want DJI having access to your flight records the solution is simple: don't upload them. Even the author of this piece of paranoia admits that they only get the flight information you voluntarily send them.
2017-8-29
Use props
fansc2962bbc
Second Officer
Norway

Jepp. the author is probably just stirring the pot. Im not paranoid yet.  Lol.
2017-8-29
Use props
Mari
Captain
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

dronist Posted at 2017-8-28 10:39
That is why I NEVER sync my data. Period! Control the urge...

... you created an account and visit this forum so big brother is watching you...
2017-8-29
Use props
Mari
Captain
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

... I don't worry about the gathering of data by DJI... when you visit the world wide web, everybody is "tracking" you and gathering data. If you want to be safe, never visit the www, buy only cash and never leave your home...
2017-8-29
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Some recent news about DJI security: DJI Enhances Software Security In Its Flight Control Apps.
2017-8-29
Use props
Tombolian
Second Officer
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-8-28 19:00
I rather doubt the Mavic is sending downsampled video and audio when syncing your flight records, otherwise syncing flights would take WAY longer than they actually do and the author provides no evidence that this is happening. I suspect thumbnail photos might be sent -- these thumbnails show up in flight records uploaded to Airdata UAV, for instance, so they must be encoded in the binary log files, but video/audio? Color me unconvinced.

Sweet.  Back to chill I go...
2017-8-29
Use props
fansc2962bbc
Second Officer
Sweden

Thanks Ex Machina. Looks like DJI have taken som action regarding this problem. Regarding the rather strict swedish rules with pre examination and approval of all video and photo before publishing, makes livestreaming on Youtube impossible.
2017-8-29
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Mari Posted at 2017-8-29 09:18
... you created an account and visit this forum so big brother is watching you...

Mari,

You have much to learn my friend!  
2017-8-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules