Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mariuss
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2480515 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Hello!

Need some input on how to do a timelapse with my P4 over a very long time. Im looking to do a 1-3 year timelapse with roughly a picture every month more or less.

I will be about 200m from target (at a certain height) but still need to fit the frame from previous pictures quite nicely to make it smooth.

Is there an app that can be used? I know i can look into the coordinates post-flight with pan angle etc, can this be done on the fly?

All help is appriciated!

2017-8-28
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
United Kingdom

You could use a Litchi saved mission. 1 waypoint with a take photo action and a POI to aim at. Just reload the mission each time.

you'll probably want more than 1 per month, over 3 years that's just 36 frames - or around 1 second of footage depending on playback speed. 1 per day would be closer, assuming you want a clip.
2017-8-28
Use props
SDrockstar
New
Flight distance : 40049 ft
United States

using a predetermined flight path and POI as previously suggested is a good plan but you can also take the original picture/frame (if video) with you as reference. additionally, using a higher resolution than the output file allows a great deal of wiggle room and possible creativity in post production. I love the idea but if you're already taking it up for the time laps with stills you should consider taking short video that could be aligned and blended in post similarly to stills. Good luck with your project!
2017-8-28
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Install a launch pad on the ground below the photo point that holds the aircraft in a fixed position for take off, then it will have the exact position and yaw angle even if the GPS or compass is a little out from day to day as both will be, then you just need to go up to the correct height and set the correct pitch on the gimbal, if your slightly out on height or pitch then you only need to adjust the frame up or down a little.
2017-8-28
Use props
Mariuss
lvl.4
  • >>>
Norway

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-8-28 14:47
Install a launch pad on the ground below the photo point that holds the aircraft in a fixed position for take off, then it will have the exact position and yaw angle even if the GPS or compass is a little out from day to day as both will be, then you just need to go up to the correct height and set the correct pitch on the gimbal, if your slightly out on height or pitch then you only need to adjust the frame up or down a little.

Thanks but the location is over water...
2017-8-31
Use props
Mariuss
lvl.4
  • >>>
Norway

SDrockstar Posted at 2017-8-28 14:29
using a predetermined flight path and POI as previously suggested is a good plan but you can also take the original picture/frame (if video) with you as reference. additionally, using a higher resolution than the output file allows a great deal of wiggle room and possible creativity in post production. I love the idea but if you're already taking it up for the time laps with stills you should consider taking short video that could be aligned and blended in post similarly to stills. Good luck with your project!

That might work just fine! I think the result wont be a continous timelapse as the shorter period ones. Thinking each frame to be shown for about 1-2 sec, with a very tiny pause between, it wont be as visual if drift or slightly off.

As for Litchi, can one set coordinates with height->Take-off?

Thanks to everyone for the above replies!
2017-8-31
Use props
Steve Slechta
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31276 ft
United States

Mariuss Posted at 2017-8-31 05:19
That might work just fine! I think the result wont be a continous timelapse as the shorter period ones. Thinking each frame to be shown for about 1-2 sec, with a very tiny pause between, it wont be as visual if drift or slightly off.

As for Litchi, can one set coordinates with height->Take-off?
Yes.

Litchi Site

Steve
Flight distance : 5852
Flight distance + Litchi: 59545
2017-8-31
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Mariuss Posted at 2017-8-31 05:18
Thanks but the location is over water...

If you can place a permanent marker on the water, eg a buoy then you can fly out to the buoy,  point the camera down, centre the buoy in the image and that gives you the position, visual hold will keep the position exact as you rise up to the correct height.  Two buoys would also allow you to align the yaw angle correctly although you may be able to do that easier on something fixed near the corner of the photo once you are at height, you need something to set the gimbal pitch on anyway and it can be the same thing.

You could also use a launch pad on land and fly out x distance from home in the direction set by the launch pad, however then you are relying on GPS not drifting during the flight which is unlikely.  The visual hold on a buoy would be much more accurate.

Of course buoys can move with the tide so it may be no more accurate than GPS if it is sea water!
2017-8-31
Use props
Mariuss
lvl.4
  • >>>
Norway

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-8-31 07:55
If you can place a permanent marker on the water, eg a buoy then you can fly out to the buoy,  point the camera down, centre the buoy in the image and that gives you the position, visual hold will keep the position exact as you rise up to the correct height.  Two buoys would also allow you to align the yaw angle correctly although you may be able to do that easier on something fixed near the corner of the photo once you are at height, you need something to set the gimbal pitch on anyway and it can be the same thing.

You could also use a launch pad on land and fly out x distance from home in the direction set by the launch pad, however then you are relying on GPS not drifting during the flight which is unlikely.  The visual hold on a buoy would be much more accurate.

Thanks for a great reply Nigel! I'm with you on both suggestions, just a hitch with the buoy: its approx 60m deep and with tidal (could compensete for that capturing pics at the same time of the day) currents.  So the offset might be irregular. Do you have any experience with the litchi if its possible to create missions with x/y -coordinates?
edit: typos
2017-9-5
Use props
Mariuss
lvl.4
  • >>>
Norway

Saw your reply now Steve! Thanks alot for replying!
2017-9-5
Use props
Mariuss
lvl.4
  • >>>
Norway

By the way Steven, would you be so kind to explain how one would set up a mission like this? Cant find any others than the timelapses over a few minutes, without coordinates. Thanks in advance!
2017-9-5
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Mariuss Posted at 2017-9-5 22:52
Thanks for a great reply Nigel! I'm with you on both suggestions, just a hitch with the buoy: its approx 60m deep and with tidal (could compensete for that capturing pics at the same time of the day) currents.  So the offset might be irregular. Do you have any experience with the litchi if its possible to create missions with x/y -coordinates?
edit: typos

If you lived further south then I would suggest just using GPS, but in Norway your GPS is less accurate which is why I suggested the buoy etc.  Maybe it can use Glonas to be accurate enough in Norway, I guess you will have to test it and see since terrain will also affect accuracy.

There are other visual ways to get an accurate alignment, such as setting up 2 flag poles on the land so that when one is hidden by the other you know that the image is within a few pixels of perfect alignment along the left-right axis.  The distance axis doesn't need to be particularly accurate so GPS is probably OK for that.   

2017-9-6
Use props
Steve Slechta
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31276 ft
United States

Mariuss Posted at 2017-9-5 23:02
By the way Steven, would you be so kind to explain how one would set up a mission like this? Cant find any others than the timelapses over a few minutes, without coordinates. Thanks in advance!

First go to the app store for which ever phone/tablet device you use to make sure it's available and install it.

Create an account either on your device or a computer from the link on my last post.

Then on a computer, go here and login: Mission Hub

This is like Google maps. Just zoom the map in to where you want to plan this mission.

Click on the map to set your initial waypoint. Click again to set the hover point.

You can then go in and edit altitude/camera angle etc to customize it how you want.

Once you save the mission, you can then load it on your phone device and fly it to see how it runs.

Then you can go back to the PC to tweak it to taste.

Everything you need to learn the app is here:  Help

Steve
Flight distance : 5852
Flight distance + Litchi: 61285
2017-9-6
Use props
Mariuss
lvl.4
  • >>>
Norway

Steve Slechta Posted at 2017-9-6 05:53
First go to the app store for which ever phone/tablet device you use to make sure it's available and install it.

Create an account either on your device or a computer from the link on my last post.

Thanks a lot Steve! Have a nice day
2017-9-7
Use props
wglovett
lvl.3
Canada

would be awesome to see this done. if your mobile device/apps/ac aren't obsolete after three yrs
2017-10-4
Use props
samuraiz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 202585 ft
United States

Steve is spot on.  I would like to add that to do this type of mission, you must first set you path to "straight" lines. I f set to curved lines there is no capability to perform tasks at the waypoints.

What you propose is super easy with litchi.  After you have read the important documentation,

Another way to get a precise mission the first time is to program most of the mission using your table especially since it's one way point with one action.  You can set start point  fly to the target area, set altitude ,point camera take photo and return to start point.   you can save that mission.  When your device is connected  to wifi, it will be saved to the mission hub.    I recommended that you watch the free phantom Fight School that's induced with litchi.  There are also 3 more classes by the same author on Udemy. Often Udemy has "sales" with all tutorials are $10.
2017-10-6
Use props
Mariuss
lvl.4
  • >>>
Norway

samuraiz Posted at 2017-10-6 04:35
Steve is spot on.  I would like to add that to do this type of mission, you must first set you path to "straight" lines. I f set to curved lines there is no capability to perform tasks at the waypoints.

What you propose is super easy with litchi.  After you have read the important documentation,

I'm currently using GS Pro instead, works like a charm Thanks for replying
2017-10-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules