Guess DJI knows they arent that good at software lately
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GM74
lvl.2
Flight distance : 105502 ft
Netherlands

DJI starts a program to pay users to find bugs,errors and other things.
http://www.dji.com/newsroom/news ... ing-software-issues
2017-8-28
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

As Shultz would say...or was it Klink?
Interesting, VERY Interesting!
2017-8-28
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

This is huge!
They are responding, to some a little late, but they are...
" DJI is also implementing a new multi-step internal approval process to review and evaluate new app software before it is released to ensure its security, reliability and stability." (press release)
My thought, they are implementing a new process, in a very smooth way this tells me their previous process was obviously not up to the task of meeting the standards of security, reliability, & stability.  I realize this will not change the diehard's minds one little bit, however, for folks such as myself it stands that some concerns were founded.  Now let's hope they fix the problems and plug the holes, and if so, then how quickly will they be able to do so...

"We value input from researchers into our products who believe in our mission to enable customers to use DJI products that are stable, reliable and trustworthy.”
(press release)
They heard you, they are listening...a good thing.
2017-8-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I read the article quite differently.
The first sentence says it all.
DJI, the world’s leader in civilian drones and aerial imaging technology, is establishing a “bug bounty” program to reward people who discover security issues with DJI software.
This isn't about DJI's software not being reliable or fit for purpose.
DJI have recently had the US Army raise security concerns about using DJI and DJI has had to respond to hacking of their software.
That's what this is about.
2017-8-28
Use props
Fruxen
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1370630 ft
Sweden

Gigantic companies like Google and Microsoft with many thousands of developers also have the same kind of bug bounty program, so it's not something unusual. I think it's a good thing to make every effort like this to find potential sequrity issues and critical bugs that may affect a lot of people.

Microsoft Bug Bounty Program: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/dn425055.aspx

Not that DJI doesn't already have a lot of work to do considering the long backlog of bugs in the GO app and firmwares, but that's another issue. For example, risk of leaks of personal login information is a different matter than a missing setting after an app update.
2017-8-28
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-8-28 22:13
I read the article quite differently.
The first sentence says it all.
DJI, the world’s leader in civilian drones and aerial imaging technology, is establishing a “bug bounty” program to reward people who discover security issues with DJI software.

I understand that you might think that that's what this is about i.e. just another way to ensure they do what they can to sew up holes to prevent hacking.  Ok, maybe that's the case, obviously I've already indicated that I see it a bit differently.
However, can you explain that if this is only about preventing hacking of their software, then why would they find it important enough to include this sentance?
" DJI is also implementing a new multi-step internal approval process to review and evaluate new app software before it is released to ensure its security, reliability and stability."
Yes, I see that one of the three focus areas is security (33%), but what about the other 67%?  In light of recent events with FW updates etc. I sincerely doubt that concerns about reliabillity & stability have a lot to do with hacking concerns, but I could be wrong...

2017-8-28
Use props
CanonMax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8953215 ft
  • >>>
Italy

In this will result in a most reliable piece of software and hardware it would be very nice!

Take care, fly safest,

Max
2017-8-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-8-28 22:31
I understand that you might think that that's what this is about i.e. just another way to ensure they do what they can to sew up holes to prevent hacking.  Ok, maybe that's the case, obviously I've already indicated that I see it a bit differently.
However, can you explain that if this is only about preventing hacking of their software, then why would they find it important enough to include this sentance?
" DJI is also implementing a new multi-step internal approval process to review and evaluate new app software before it is released to ensure its security, reliability and stability."

DJI is also implementing a new multi-step internal approval process to review and evaluate new app software before it is released to ensure its security, reliability and stability.

It doesn't mean that DJI haven't cared about reliability and stability previously and they are finally getting around to it.
Obviously they have always cared about all three - what kind of company wouldn't?
They are just saying that they want to ensure that their future releases are secure, reliable and stable,  which is a perfectly normal thing to say.
Trying to read this to mean they haven't in the past is just silly.
2017-8-29
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-8-29 00:03
DJI is also implementing a new multi-step internal approval process to review and evaluate new app software before it is released to ensure its security, reliability and stability.

It doesn't mean that DJI haven't cared about reliability and stability previously and they are finally getting around to it.

Look you can call me silly, or imply it, if you like, that is fine...
However, I clearly did not say, or imply, that they are just now getting around to caring about these areas.  However, under your own premise then that would mean that they are just getting around to security too, which I gave you as being as you stated they were sewing up holes for hacking.  What I did say or imply was that they are renewing their efforts in these areas, because clearly they seem to feel that they were/are lacking in these areas, otherwise why even make the statement, in writing no less.
To be clear, I do not nor have I ever thought that they do not care about customer concerns to the extent that they have made no effort at all in these areas.  What I have expressed concerns about, is over their seeming lack of response and lack of understanding about how they go about changes and addressing them and therefore their corporate culture in addressing all of these factors.  Clearly, they are hearing folks with these concerns or they would never have instituted this program or at least made these comments in a press release.  In other words, these statements by DJI are not about just preventing hacking.

2017-8-29
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

I think this is great.  They recognize that they can't test it all... I work in software development and the phrase I use all the time is "Test Data tends to work".  In other words, the real test is when the users get their hands on it.  They recognize that there may be places they haven't looked and are willing to pay for it.  I think that's great.  Couldn't be happier.  No software (especially software as advanced as this is!) can be perfectly bug free.  This is a very good thing.... Good JOB!
2017-8-29
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

They just want the US defense business back. Simple as that.
2017-8-29
Use props
microlinux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2576972 ft
  • >>>
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-8-29 12:33
They just want the US defense business back. Simple as that.

It's a fraction of a tiny percent of their business.

My understanding is that the use of DJI drones was informal at best - it was not SOP. I think they're probably more concerned about the general ramifications of the military's statement as taken by John Q Public.
2017-8-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules