How is this not commercial use?
1011 5 2015-3-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TSP181
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18258 ft
United States

I got an email from DJI today talking about their live stream on ESPN from the Rose Bowl.   Do you think ESPN or DJI will hear from the FAA?   

Here is the video:  http://youtu.be/55sovF6J1Hw

Tom
2015-3-31
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Any of us (myself included) who use our drones in relation with a web site or writing or books - and then have income from those efforts - are commercial also. Apparently the FAA only goes after easy targets...they know DJI and ESPN will give them bad press and load of lawyers letters.
2015-3-31
Use props
grangerfx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

According to the FAA, and as seen in reality, the FAA only goes after people if there are complaints. The FAA is not an enforcement agency. You can use a drone to do whatever you want and unless someone brings it to the FAA's attention they won't do anything. Now if the DJI drone at the Rose Bowl happens to crash into a crowd of people, DJI can expect there to be an investigation and probably a big fine.
2015-3-31
Use props
aladrian
lvl.1
Netherlands

Why would DJI not be a commercial operator?  You don't think they did all the paperwork before filming at such an event?

Al...
2015-3-31
Use props
droneflyers.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

aladrian@gmail. Posted at 2015-4-1 00:04
Why would DJI not be a commercial operator?  You don't think they did all the paperwork before filmi ...

I don't know...
Chances are they have the permission of the network, etc. - but all airspace is FAA controlled.....who knows, maybe airspace within a structure (like inside your home or up to the upper level of a stadium) is not FAA?
2015-3-31
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

All they have to do is hire one of the local companies with a 333 exemption.  I doubt DJI will try to get around the rules in place.  That would be dumb.
2015-3-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules