Traveling to India with a Mavic Pro : what about UAVs regulation?
9557 18 2017-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
h4mzt3r
lvl.1
Flight distance : 329472 ft
South Korea

Hi everyone,

I new here, and I'm trying to get some informations about Indian UAVs regulation, which is seems a really headache.

But first, I present myself, I'm a world traveler and a I expect to buy a Mavic Pro (Fly more combo) in China next week. My first drone ever. And probably the best choice for a traveler like me. I'll leave China for Nepal and then Nepal for India.

The last one is my problem. I've read about drone ban in India, and the laws didn't evolved since 2014. I saw a draft, writed in 2016 but until now... still no news.

The fact is I'm a foreigner, a traveler. I'll don't expect to fly in India, laws seems to complicated and corruption is everywhere. But the Mavic will be in my checked luggage, and batteries (3) + remote controller in my backpack (carry-on). I'll land in New Delhi, but I don't know yet which will be my departure airport: maybe New Delhi, maybe Chennai.

I'm affraid with Customs. About the fact they can hold back my drone for any reasons. I don't know if it's true. I don't know if I'll need to pay a "tax" like i read in a forum. I have no another choice than to bring my drone with me, I don't have any option to let him somewhere.

Is anybody have any information about that? About the Customs at the airport?

Thanks to all for your help, I hope to see you in the sky soon ;)
2017-8-29
Use props
cristianc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008143 ft
United States

From what I read, the drones are fully banned in India and they will confiscate it if they found it. By confiscation I mean they will keep it at the airport until you fly out. This is what I read. I am also flying through India but only through transit  to Seychelles. Goodluck
2017-8-29
Use props
h4mzt3r
lvl.1
South Korea

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I read the same thing about the drone ban, but... well, it was stories from 2015/2016 and we're now in 2017. And, if I understand the situation as well I think, the ban concern only imported goods, which is not my case. I'm just a traveler. And people there can actually buy drones in their country, so... it's hard to understand how the ban is working.

I don't even expect to ask for a UIN who can allow me to flight in this country. I just want to follow my way, visit the country and go away.
2017-8-29
Use props
ramesh92
New

India

You can fly uav in unrestricted area. But never try to fly near defence area. I have one more suggestion. Currently Indian government provides on arrival visa for many countries tourist. Please visit Indian Tourism website for more information. Come along with identity card like Aadhar card that's why if you have any trouble during flying UAV then you can easily manage it.
Indian Tourism Website: https://incredibleindia.org/
Aadhar card Website: http://uidaadharcardstatus.com
2017-9-7
Use props
robyndrone
New

Canada

Hello i am Canadian, i will be traveling to india mid april 2018 for a bit more than one month then i will go to nepal , thailand and hong kong. In India, I would also be taking dometic flights to leh , jaisalmer , varanasi... I am now debating if i should bring my dji spark with me. I am willing not to fly my drone in india but would like to bring it with me anyways for thailand and hongkong . my questions are :

1 Will customs confiscate my dji spark in international or dometic flights ?

2 Will customs charge me a duty $ if yes how much ?

3 Do i need a permit to enter india with dji spark?

4 Will i get any problemes traveling to Leh with dji spark ?

5 Will i get any problemes leaving india with dji spark ?

Thank you !
2017-9-26
Use props
h4mzt3r
lvl.1
Réunion

Hi guys,

Small update: I did a flight between Katmandu and New Delhi and then a flight between New Delhi and Chennai. No trouble at customs. My drone was packed in my carry-on, without propellers, in his Mavic Shoulder Bag. I didn't use my drone in India btw.
2017-10-26
Use props
Escape Moto
lvl.1
Flight distance : 403573 ft
United States

h4mzt3r Posted at 2017-10-26 08:20
Hi guys,

Small update: I did a flight between Katmandu and New Delhi and then a flight between New Delhi and Chennai. No trouble at customs. My drone was packed in my carry-on, without propellers, in his Mavic Shoulder Bag. I didn't use my drone in India btw.

Glad you didn't have any issues! I may be going to India in February of 2018. Hope to have no problems as well!
2017-12-12
Use props
fans5c0dc3b7
lvl.1
Netherlands

Hello,

Does someone has updates regarding the use of drones in India? http://www.dgca.nic.in/misc/draft%20cars/CAR%20-%20UAS%20(Draft_Nov2017).pdf

"Barring nano drones—those that weigh under 250 grams and can’t fly at higher than 50 feet—all others must be registered with the DGCA and acquire a Unique Identification Number. Drones that weigh over 2kgs will require an air defence clearance. And the remote pilot for any drone must be at least 18 years old and have gone through a prescribed training process."

source:
click here for source
2017-12-26
Use props
Psycho Realm
lvl.1
Netherlands

Update December 2017
2017-12-26
Use props
Psycho Realm
lvl.1
Thailand

ramesh92 Posted at 2017-9-7 23:09
You can fly uav in unrestricted area. But never try to fly near defence area. I have one more suggestion. Currently Indian government provides on arrival visa for many countries tourist. Please visit Indian Tourism website for more information. Come along with identity card like Aadhar card that's why if you have any trouble during flying UAV then you can easily manage it.

What about the new rules:

Read this :

https://www.thebetterindia.com/120302/flying-drone-india-laws-law-security/

??
2018-1-8
Use props
Psycho Realm
lvl.1
Myanmar

h4mzt3r any updates?
2018-1-16
Use props
Ludomx
New
Flight distance : 3291 ft
India

Hi,
for your information, I bought my DJI Spark in Singapore this January 2018. I traveled in Thailand, Vietnam, came back in Bengaluru, India, went to Andaman islands, Havelock, and came back in Bengaluru with the drone unpacked in my backpack. No issues nowhere. All security checks passed.
I used the drone in Vietnam only.
For India, they officially there is the UIN to get but they offer it only to citizens and companies. Nothing for foreigners... I'll try to update if I find a way.
And 2 places that I know to avoid without official papers; Andaman and Taj Mahal which are protected by military.
2018-1-30
Use props
Psycho Realm
lvl.1
Myanmar

Ludomx Posted at 2018-1-30 11:45
Hi,
for your information, I bought my DJI Spark in Singapore this January 2018. I traveled in Thailand, Vietnam, came back in Bengaluru, India, went to Andaman islands, Havelock, and came back in Bengaluru with the drone unpacked in my backpack. No issues nowhere. All security checks passed.
I used the drone in Vietnam only.

Thans for your update. I will fly one of these days from Mandalay (Myanmar) to Jaipur (India). Did you do anything special with the batteries?
2018-1-31
Use props
fans987eeaac
New

United States

Anyone that's flown in the past month to Mumbai.. Any luck.. Leaving Tom
2018-2-4
Use props
fans9f3c5d71
lvl.1

Sweden

robyndrone Posted at 2017-9-26 13:57
Hello i am Canadian, i will be traveling to india mid april 2018 for a bit more than one month then i will go to nepal , thailand and hong kong. In India, I would also be taking dometic flights to leh , jaisalmer , varanasi... I am now debating if i should bring my dji spark with me. I am willing not to fly my drone in india but would like to bring it with me anyways for thailand and hongkong . my questions are :

1 Will customs confiscate my dji spark in international or dometic flights ?

Hey Robyndrone, how will you do with your DJI Spark? I'm also going to India in April and I'm worried about the customs if they see my Mavic Air.

Maybe we can keep in touch.
2018-3-7
Use props
djiuser_6IXeUH8Toc67
New
United States

Any updates on the latest rules in India? I am planning to take a Mavic Air to Ladakh in a few weeks. Please advise.
2018-7-9
Use props
Anand Karandikar
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29012 ft
Canada

Hey guys any more updates and experiences pertaining to carrying drones in India?
2018-7-12
Use props
dollarakshay
lvl.1

India

ramesh92 Posted at 2017-9-7 23:09
You can fly uav in unrestricted area. But never try to fly near defence area. I have one more suggestion. Currently Indian government provides on arrival visa for many countries tourist. Please visit Indian Tourism website for more information. Come along with identity card like Aadhar card that's why if you have any trouble during flying UAV then you can easily manage it.

How will non-indians even have Aadhar Card ?
2019-1-22
Use props
G.d.M.
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3229810 ft
India

This is my experience in India:
I've been working as a foreign photographer (Italian) in beautiful India for 2 weeks in different locations.

Had no problem arriving in New Delhi (from Taiwan) with cameras and drone (Mavic2 Pro)

Flew about 6 domestic flights with IndGo with Drone and cameras trolley.
The airline staff (IndiGo) couldn't care less (abot the drone), they are nice, very well trained and mostly helpful.

Problem is Police @ security checks.
First of all it looks like there is not the same rule for every airport, it appears that every airport police enforce their own "home made" security rules.

For example:
Delhi-Goa: No problem in taking Cameras trolley, Manfrotto tripod and Mavic2 Pro as cabin luggage.
Goa-Hubli: same as before

Be aware that in all those domestic airports if you get there just for a transfer you still have to get out of airside and go through security check again... no transfer mode between arrival and departures.

Hubli-Chennai: police officer says tripod is dangerous (no problem for Mavic) so is not admitted on board, luckily IndiGo staff was helpful in packing it in a box and checked in.
Chennai-Delhi: police officer says "in Chennai Drones are not allowed on board since they are dangerous  (it was a folded Mavic2 with no propellers)" so after an endless discussion I had to put it in my backpack and checked with luggage, and they had me checked also LiPo batteries which is really stupid and dangerous
Agra-Delhi: no problems.

So here is the thing:
Police forces are entitled to security checks @ airports
They don't know anything about drones, and have home made rules according to the officer in charge that day...
It looks like there is not a Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) guidance they are following (maybe there is one, but it doesn't looks like anyone ever read it).
Also is totally a waste of time to argue with them on a rational base because there is no rational base in what they say.

To be honest I have to say people has always been nice and respectful @ all times and I could keep traveling never missing a flight
My advice is, to avoid problems, check your drone (do not take it in the cabin), take LiPo battery with you,
fly safe.

2019-3-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules