News Story on Spark Being "Bricked"
1022 7 2017-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BlazeAir
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Here is another news story I found for people that have had issues with their DJI Spark, and are looking for what to do next.

Click here for more info: DJI to Brick the Spark Drone

It is really too bad about the Spark. I know DJI will figure it out, and their next spark-like drone will be amazing.

Would be great to hear feedback on this story.

Thanks
2017-8-29
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm gonna go ahead say it's a bit to early to start saying DJI is going to get it right with the next SPARK like drone.  This little quad has been flawless for me, and each firmware update has made it better.  
2017-8-29
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I also think that the description "bricked" misleading.  I don't know if that originated from DJI (in which case this is incredibly bad PR) or if this came from a reporter (in which case this is incredibly bad reporting) or if this started from a disgruntled customer.  "Bricked" has a very specific meaning and definition in tech-speak.  It means that the device becomes totally useless, and will no longer function in any way other than as a paper-weight.

Based on everything I've seen about what DJI intends to do, they are going to remove the ability to fly.  The craft still functions.  It still turns on, it still transmits, it still video's and captures pictures.  It just won't fly.  Of course we bought it because we want it to fly.  This is absolutely significant functionality that will be removed.  But that is far from being bricked.

Customers will still have a functioning craft that they can still upgrade to the latest firmware, thus restoring flight functionality.

There's been concern expressed here in these forums and elsewhere that people's sparks will suddenly and utterly stop functioning in totality (in essence that they really will be "bricked").  And that's unfortunate that this is the interpretation.  But that is what "bricked" means.  Grounded is a better term.
2017-8-29
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

Oracle Miata Posted at 2017-8-29 08:56
I'm gonna go ahead say it's a bit to early to start saying DJI is going to get it right with the next SPARK like drone.  This little quad has been flawless for me, and each firmware update has made it better.

Same here .. no issues what so ever.
2017-8-29
Use props
Sparky_17
lvl.4
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

In addition, I am in support of making drones 'Bricked' if updates are done by a specified date, specially if they contain mandatory updates.  DJI taking safety first is in my books; very professional.
2017-8-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

A lot of mixed experiences so far. And most of the 'pleased' users probably won't be on this forum (why would they).
I must say I like the fact that DJI makes frequent updates.
But, not all of them will be an improvement on every part (new bugs etc.)
2017-8-29
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-8-29 10:57
A lot of mixed experiences so far. And most of the 'pleased' users probably won't be on this forum (why would they).
I must say I like the fact that DJI makes frequent updates.
But, not all of them will be an improvement on every part (new bugs etc.)

I am on this forum to share an interest in DJI drones, and perhaps read about what NOT to do by those that are here to complain or share their mishaps.  
2017-8-29
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Oracle Miata Posted at 2017-8-29 11:04
I am on this forum to share an interest in DJI drones, and perhaps read about what NOT to do by those that are here to complain or share their mishaps.

I know. (at least that I've figured from your post).
There are just some other users that only come to this forum when they have a problem.
Which is fine of course, but it does create a very negative point of view to Spark and DJI. (you don't read too many 'I had such a lovely flighttime today' stories here)
2017-8-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules