Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Fly in the Rain with this waterproof system for a p4!
2870 15 2017-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Trekz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3245 ft
United States

https://www.wetalkuav.com/dji-phantom-4-wetsuit-rainproof-drone/

DJI please read the last sentence in the article!
2017-8-29
Use props
Spyder3534
lvl.3
Flight distance : 32375 ft
United States

I wouldn't recommend this.... airflow through the drone keeps it cool.
2017-8-29
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

I wish it could fly in the rain, that said, I won't be getting it.... It adds weight, seems like it would restrict cooling airflow.  I like the concept... but it's not for me.
2017-8-29
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Do they guarantee to buy your equipment if it gets wet and fries?  
and what about the rc?
2017-8-29
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wouldn't be practical, apart from motors getting soaked, trying to take photos or video in heavy rain would be a bit of a waste of time. So at best it would give some protection if you got caught in a sudden shower.

The last sentence is a bit non-committal :-

"If the wetsuit works as advertised".
2017-8-29
Use props
Nauticalman
lvl.2

United States

Sounds like an easy fix for a complicated system.  What they don't say is if it will affect any forms of transmission, via radio, ultrasonic, gps, etc... But more importantly, why would anyone want to fly in the rain in the first place?  There are forms of aeronautical waxes and such that can be applied to make it "water repellant", like PTEF.  But as one who spent his life outdoors and trying to find ways to staying "waterproof", there isn't a 'perfect' solution when mixing radio transmitting devices and water.
2017-8-29
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Nauticalman Posted at 2017-8-29 15:40
Sounds like an easy fix for a complicated system.  What they don't say is if it will affect any forms of transmission, via radio, ultrasonic, gps, etc... But more importantly, why would anyone want to fly in the rain in the first place?  There are forms of aeronautical waxes and such that can be applied to make it "water repellant", like PTEF.  But as one who spent his life outdoors and trying to find ways to staying "waterproof", there isn't a 'perfect' solution when mixing radio transmitting devices and water.

You are quite correct on all points. It is a solution in search of a problem.
2017-8-29
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Totally agree with 6#. Also, watered aircraft is not suggested to repair due to the oxidation inside and the performance can not be ensured. We appreciate your suggestion.
2017-8-29
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Even if it did work, call me scrooge but at about $70 bucks I think that is a bit high for what I agree is no guarantee that it will be "waterproof."  As Nauticalman states, humidity and electronics don't mix, and over time it will have an impact.  If you were a corporation or needing this for industrial type work and had the deep pockets then maybe...not for me though.
2017-8-29
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Trekz,

The last sentence still ignored that the P4 was designed to be water, well, at least rain resistant.  Just take a look at the cooling ports and compare them with the P3 cooling ports.  There are other design features to.  When the P4 was introduced, this was mentioned but the comment soon ended probably due to liability issues and misinterpretations by customers.  The intent is not to fly in the rain!

If you get caught in the rain, as noted, you will not be getting any descent images or video due to water on the lens.  I was caught in the rain a mile up in a mountain and had to rush for home.  Sport mode here I come all the way home.  There were no problems at all but as DJI Susan noted, I was concerned about water penetration into the Phantom.  Since I had plenty battery left and the battery heats up on use, I let the P4 Pro run for the rest of the battery under cover to evaporate any water that may have gotten in the Phantom.  Then I took out the battery and put the P4P in front of a fan with the battery box facing the fan for another half hour.

The P4 Pro still flies beautifully and takes wonderful images and videos.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-8-30
Use props
jwt-873
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

Yes, rain really screws up the video image....

I was flying once on a cloudy day last year.  The craft was about 1/2 mile away.  It was dry where I was but suddenly I started getting rain drops on the lens.  They really hampered my vision.  I turned around and came straight home.  Fortunately I never got wet enough to cause any damage.  There was no water penetration.

They suggest using RainX on the UV filter.  This will shed the raindrops, but I imagine you'll still see them when they hit the filter, so that method might not be of much use for filming in the rain.
2017-8-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nauticalman Posted at 2017-8-29 15:40

Very true indeed!
2017-8-30
Use props
zilla
lvl.2

United States

For search and rescue "emergency" operations....okay. I wouldn't fly in the rain for any other reason.
2017-8-30
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'll stick with my statement, a complete waste of time. And very likely a complete waste of a Phantom (would you buy it ?). What video or photos did his Phantom produce from that 'flight' ?

Edit:- It's advertised as a wetsuit anyhow, and wetsuits by their very design are not waterproof.

2017-10-5
Use props
Sebb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 498199 ft
  • >>>
Germany

i ve gotten surprised by rain a few times, or flown in cold foggy weather, and every time the lens is immediately covered in water drops = footage pointless = flying in rain pointless.

i think to 99% of pilots, phantoms are imaging devices. so like others have said, it s a nice technical excercise, but who needs this?
2017-10-5
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don’t see the point of flying in the rain, unless it’s for surveillance or search and rescue....
2017-10-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules