Screw”d” DJI need your input needed
992 15 2017-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nik6
lvl.2
Flight distance : 806096 ft
United States

So went to do a job this afternoon, while putting everything together and getting ready I noticed one of the motors was a bit noisy when spinning. Spun a few more times then it completely locked up. Figured a piece of sand got in it during transport. Tapped on the motor a bit no luck. Called it a day and went home. Once home blew out motor with canned air, no improvement. Decided to take the motor out and see what was in there. Turned out a screw was jammed in it. No sign from where it came from. DJI and ideas? Could this be the reason some have seen the Inspire 2 fall from the sky? Just glad it didn’t happen while in the air. It’s all working now but am concerned about the other motors, and where the screw came from.
Nik
C58DBBB2-7F53-4579-8C27-547ED44E8C02.jpeg
85FCCD6A-E37D-4DE9-85B3-9C40BC724629.jpeg
CC1E0683-4AAA-413D-8732-F7F17C116D2C.jpeg
2017-8-29
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Sorry for the trouble it causes, please film a video and let us hear the sound. And We would not recommend you take apart the motor.Thanks.
2017-8-30
Use props
nazar404.yahoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394291 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI , that's does not make sense to me !!! Film a video to hear the sound ?
That will only cause more damage
2017-8-30
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

That's crazy!

We bought a $15,000 piece of Cisco networking equipment once, and after pulling it out of the box, you could hear a little thing rattling around in there.

Turned out to be an extra screw ... couldn't find a place for it anywhere in the chassis, so it must have fallen in by accident.

Glad we didn't put it into production that way. It would have been a disaster - like a screw caught in a motor. Except this would have caused a short in the equipment and who knows how long it would take us to even know ...

On this same note, just curious ... how often should we expect to require changing the motors on Inspire 2? Or are they designed to last for the life of the aircraft?
2017-8-30
Use props
Nik6
lvl.2
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2017-8-30 03:40
Sorry for the trouble it causes, please film a video and let us hear the sound. And We would not recommend you take apary the motor.Thanks.

Ironically it sounded like a small screw in the motor. Then it made no noise once the screw jammed itself in-between the armature and the magnets. (Please look at the above photos) I have no plans to put the "extra" screw inside the motor again in order to film the sound. Now it sounds like every other motor, nice and smooth. I would really like to know where it came from, could it be an extra?

Nik
2017-8-30
Use props
skypal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 560256 ft
Germany

Sorry for the trouble it causes, please film a video and let us hear the sound. And We would not recommend you take apary the motor.Thanks.

completely nonsense
2017-8-30
Use props
Donnie *
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

I dont think so , more than likely   during the assembly process a screw for the prop lock ( that  is kinda what it looks like ) was accidentally picked up by the magnets in the motor . I highly doubt this would be on a production run .

Nonetheless and interesting find and Of course it does not belong in there, just think it was a mistake during the assembly process.

Glad you were able to find it before it could do any damage .

donnie

2017-8-30
Use props
Donnie *
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

I think your recommendation  somehow is lost in trasnlation, I mean surely you dont want him to leave the screw and there and turn the motor on , It would most surly cause damage .  

Perhaps you could let production know of this and they can be more careful with  magnetic parts that could come in contact with small screws.  

donnie
2017-8-30
Use props
ronin rs211
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

The whole of DJI support seem to be lost in translation when it comes to all the issues they are building into the Inspire2..
2017-8-30
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I agree with Donnie and think the screw is something that was stuck to the motor's magnet during assembly.

While cleaning my X5S camera, took the lens off, and three very small T-shaped pins fell out of it onto the table cloth!  Too small to be the len contact pins and they all are still there. Nothing on the lens either appears missing.  I don't know where they came from, but the camera seems to work okay and maybe stuff during assembly too - or so I hope!

MY WAG is they are some sort of rivets, maybe for soldering wires onto the circuit boards?  That or an attempt at humor by DJI assembly person by leaving extra bits in there to fall out when changing lenses.  

Mystery pins fell out of X5S camera.

Mystery pins fell out of X5S camera.
2017-8-30
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

I don't think they like folks like us opening our drones.  The phrase .... "Warranty Voided" .... is running in my mind....
2017-8-30
Use props
Nik6
lvl.2
United States

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-8-30 11:52
I don't think they like folks like us opening our drones.  The phrase .... "Warranty Voided" .... is running in my mind....

There are no stickers stating "warranty void if broken", besides don't want to have to send it in over things easily fixed by the operator. As a certified UAV pilot this, to me, is general maintenance. Should be able to replace a motor.  Electronics and computer stuff.... not so much
2017-8-30
Use props
skypal
lvl.4
Flight distance : 560256 ft
Germany

MrRobert5823 Posted at 2017-8-30 11:52

and I don't like them when those loser can't do the job right.
2017-8-30
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

Nik6 Posted at 2017-8-30 12:47
There are no stickers stating "warranty void if broken", besides don't want to have to send it in over things easily fixed by the operator. As a certified UAV pilot this, to me, is general maintenance. Should be able to replace a motor.  Electronics and computer stuff.... not so much

I wouldn't mind getting in actually.... I just "assumed" that would be part of it.  Thanks....
2017-8-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi, everyone, you have our sincere apologize for the improper post by Elektra, please ignore it.
Here is the thing, DJI never recommends end users to disassemble the drone privately, if there is anything wrong, please send in the drone to official repair center for evaluation and repair by our repair team, we will figure out what happened and get it repaired. If you opened the shell by yourself, it would be very hard to tell it is malfunction or it is disassembled improperly by pilot, in this situation, the damage will not be covered by warranty.
Nik, we suggest to send in the drone to official repair center for further diagnosis. Appreciate your understanding.
2017-8-31
Use props
tioe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 144649 ft
Ireland

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-31 01:00
Hi, everyone, you have our sincere apologize for the improper post by Elektra, please ignore it.
Here is the thing, DJI never recommends end users to disassemble the drone privately, if there is anything wrong, please send in the drone to official repair center for evaluation and repair by our repair team, we will figure out what happened and get it repaired. If you opened the shell by yourself, it would be very hard to tell it is malfunction or it is disassembled improperly by pilot, in this situation, the damage will not be covered by warranty.
Nik, we suggest to send in the drone to official repair center for further diagnosis. Appreciate your understanding.

All these issues you have guys would not be happening if there was some kind $ motivation for the company to implement proper QA.
Not saying it actually less frustrating in the EU, but if your local retailers whom you buy products from were responsible for what they sold, so that the responsibility of returning your faulty goods was with whom you purchased the goods from, well then, dealers enmass would not wish the headache which all of you bare on yourselves.
Just saying, that this side consumer rights are something you could push your legislators for. It should be upto a local retailer to negotiate terms of contracts with his supplier, and for you folk as end users to be able to safely buy without worry.
2017-8-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules