Whats the point?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

I was out flying my P3Pro about a week ago (been ill ever since hence the delay), and a random woman asked me "Is that your", I replied in the affirmative expecting either a tirade or a lot of questions. What followed actually was quite surprising. She then asked "Whats the point in having it?" Currently the point for me is that I am practising for my PfCO, but I also take pictures that I could no longer do with a normal camera.
So there is the question. I know why I do, but what is the point of owning your drone for you, simple enjoyment aside.

2017-8-30
Use props
CraigR
lvl.3
Australia

Does there have to be a point (especially a point aside from enjoyment)?
2017-8-30
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Well, I use it to check my property line and my water well and related plumbing.  I also use it to hike, as I am pretty lazy and the Phantom can cover a lot more ground, a lot faster than I can.  If I see something interesting, I make a note of its location and hike there later to check it out in person.  
2017-8-30
Use props
TN Lone Wolf
lvl.3
Flight distance : 963251 ft
United States

When 2/3 of the farm is located on the other side of a creek with the only way to get across being a crossing ramp carved into the creek on both sides, you're limited to when you can access most of the farm depending on the weather.  If it rains pretty heavily, the creek will fill with water and be impossible to cross for a day or longer due to water, then for a further two to three days as you wait for the mud and sand to dry out enough to get an ATV across.  If you want to be able to check any fields beyond the creek, you're either crossing on foot and walking around (which takes forever) or you can send up the drone to check on things.  

It's also pretty useful to determine whether I need to replenish any of the mineral locations I keep out for the horses and deer without having to physically go out and check them.  I even used the Phantom to inspect our field edges after a storm to check for fallen trees.
2017-8-30
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-8-30 19:24
Everything has a point...

Everyone told me I was a star.  Later on, I found out it was because my head comes to a point.
2017-8-30
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

My point is that looking at the world from a total different perspective. And we hope that everyone would have a nice trip with DJI product.
2017-9-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

It's easy to explain the misunderstood ideas, to the unwary public. ;-)

Smiles are free, give them often. Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-9-3
Use props
embayweather
Second Officer
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

Strange you should say that RHP. When I worked as a wedding photographer I once had an angry husband come back to me demanding his money back. Why! because his new wife was laughing in the photographs!  True stroy which illustrates that there is non so queer as folk.
2017-9-4
Use props
imagine it
lvl.3
United States

I'm a photographer and have been for longer that I care to admit as it would make me feel older than I want to. The drone offers me yet another opportunity to not only enjoy the feeling of flying, something I've always enjoyed, but also to experiment with a whole different form in my photography.
2017-9-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules