Bran new Mavic Pro, DJI Goggles and Ipad Mini 4
1350 4 2017-8-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jamesjoseph
New
Australia

Hi all,

I have purchased the new Mavic fly more combo, the DJI googles and the Ipad mini4 with cellular capability.

I havnt seen any of these items, they are waiting for me at home, aside from the Ipad mini which is coming in a week, and im home toomorrow, I have never even flown a drone and dont have any idea on the first steps to take once the drone is unboxed.. other than read read read, etc. I am excited to see what I can achieve I can say!

I have some questions now and no doubt will have more as time goes by, as there are so many terms ive heard used that I dont even understand yet

- So, what would be the first steps I should take,, and I have read about some things.

- What is the best way to up grade, or connect and upload stuff, Ie the Go4 App ?

- I keep reading about the issues people have uploading the latest firmware, so should I upgrade the firmware when I switch on the drone and the controller if prompted?

- I also want to purchase the DJI refresh protection as well, i believe this has to be done before I fly, correct, and is it worth the coin?

- Any suggestions will be well received,,

Cheers
JJG from West Aust

-

2017-8-30
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

One:  get the dji refresh protection.  Two:  Read all the manuals.  Three:  practice flying the drone in beginner mode, up/down yaw left/right, forward/backward, and slide left/right.  Then get used to flying primarily using left stick yaw to turn as you go forward.  Four:  Think of emergency situations - don't know which way it is facing and your app crashed, setting up RTH (before flight) to return home safely, what are the winds like (fly close until you know the winds up above).  Should have said, if you haven't flown drones before, use the simulator function to practice before you fly for real.  There are lots of youtube videos on how to do firmware upgrades.  I would say best is through DJI Asst 2.  Although I have also used DJI GO 4.  Again it is in manual and there are DJI videos on how to do as well.  Personally I go ahead and upgrade each time.  I use Android Samsung S7 and sometimes they are slower getting android OS updated due to added features. The latest firmware has been great, without any incidents of app crash for me.  Don't rush and fly real far, where your inexperience might cause big problems.  Also lots of youtube videos on camera setting, how to adjust RC controls for smoother video work.  Sport mode for fun fast flying.  But get some flight time under your belt so you fly well, before you test the limits.  Good Luck and have fun.
2017-8-30
Use props
HomePoint
Second Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lucky lucky boy, you are going to have a great time and have certainly made a good investment without cutting any corners.
I watched YouTube videos until I was sick of them, so when I finally got my first drone I knew everything about it.  I am sure with the investment you have made that you are heavily researched as such.  Have fun and always pay attention to what the app is telling you and if you don't understand what it means, bring the bird back home fast and research more.
2017-8-30
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Hy jamesjoseph,

Welcome to a new perspective of the world we live.
The drone perspective is an awesome way to see life.
As you are initiating the hobby, the first thing you must do is to read the manual.
It is imperative. You must know the hardware you are handling.
You must know its powers and its limits.
You should search by the local laws and plan your first flight (not only the first, all of them; but first things first).
After this, unpacking your drone you will have to upgrade all the system (drone, app, batteries) and you will do this by DJI GO4 app.
There are plenty of pre-flights checking lists on the net. It is worth to see some for you to build your own.
Spend, at least one battery charge on knowing the menu settings and understanding its purpose.
Try take off, hover and land before you fly.
And, after all, be happy.
But face the hobby with responsibility. It is not a toy. It is a flying machine.
PS.: and one more tip: don’t fly in the situation your Avatar indicates…rrsrssrsrs
Cheers.
2017-8-30
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi James, welcome! I am also infected with your happiness. Mavic is an all-in-one drone, so you don't need to worry much about it. But to get it easier to start and for the safety of flying, I suggest reading the manual first, we also have lots of the tutorial for your learning. For upgrading, both DJI GO 4 app and DJI Assistant 2 is easy to use. We always recommend that users upgrade the latest firmware because it's the optimization to the previous one, but that depends on you. If your drone's now performing fine and you don't want to upgrade it, that's alright. Besides, I personally think DJI Care Refresh is a great partner with Mavic Pro, you can learn some info about it previously.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8-vxWY64sBNLusG0MvxD4Dm-tX4cnvzX
http://www.dji.com/service/djicare-refresh
2017-8-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules