Gimbal motor overloaded - funny behaviour NO CRASHES or impacts
2924 15 2017-8-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TdotTrucker
lvl.1
Flight distance : 119272 ft
Canada

I am having a bit of  problems with my Mavic pro camera gimbal. I went to turn on the drone yesterday and during start up the camera gimbal decided to rapidly rotate forward and then back and then forward and I'm back during the start up phase each time you could hear it banging against the top of the gimbal bracket. I would then get the error on the app that said that the gimbal motor has overloaded,please check to ensure that the clamp has been removed and it would be attempting to restart it.
Obviously I did in sure that the clamp was removed. However any additional restarts would continue to produce the same results until I tried something that was seen online. I took the Mavic pro and turned it on its side as the camera was doing at start up and did not get the air and everything was appearing to be fine at that point.

So I begin my flight thinking everything was fixed however when I asked the drone to go forward at full speed and then let go of the stick to stop the drone the camera gimbal would immediately shoot down word and I would get the obstruction warning sound as if there was an object right in front of the drone. The view on my phone showed that the camera was pointing straight down. Using the controller to patch the camera back up to level I would notice that the camera jumped about midway along it's path towards being level.  So I decided to stop the flight and come home and run some tests to see what was happening. I noticed that if I asked the gimbal to pitch down or up using the controller and then let go at some point the camera I would continue to move in the direction I was asking her to go all by itself  until the camera was in a position far beyond its usual point. For example if I wanted to bring the camera back to level and then let go at the point it stopped which was considered level, the camera would then continue to move upward on its own giving me a very unique view of the underside of the drone. The same would happen when asking the camera too. Downwards once the camera would be pointing 90° downward it would stop as far as controller movement, however once all hands were off the controller it would still continue to go beyond 90° and begin pointing a little bit behind while pointing down.

I have tried several camera gimbal calibrations which of all failed, some fail at 51% while others have failed at 73% I have also checked for any obstructions in any of the moving segments of the gimbal and found  no issues obstructions or anything blocking the gimbal from properly moving. I also checked for any part of the gimbal to be striking the drone for making contact with any other part of the drone when manually pitching the camera up or down and noticed that it is not impacting anything else but it is "bumping" at the midway point between level and 90° down as if it is hitting something and pumping past it. However as closely as I have looked at the gimbal I cannot see it hitting anything when this occurs.

The Mavic has never crashed, never had a hard landing, never had an abusive flight or been asked to do anything that it was not designed to do, nor has it been bumped impacted or hit in anyway while it's been stored.  I did notice that my last flight before this which was on Sunday, everything went fine there was no issues with the camera or the gimbal, when I got home to start uploading footage I noticed that the drone wanted a firmware update which I gave it. I then uploaded all my footage, put the drone away and then went to use it yesterday when I noticed this problem.

Right now I am waiting for the store that I purchased it from here in Toronto Canada to open and see what can be done considering I have an event happening in 24 hours to film and need my drone up and running by then.
Any ideas?

2017-8-30
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Dear TdotTrucker,

Unfortunately, welcome to the club:

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=110785

2017-8-30
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

Hi. Sorry to hear on your issue. Can you try to provide an IMU and redo a gimbal calibration? Can you try reflashing the firmware to see if this helps? Did you have any type of a hard landing?
2017-8-30
Use props
TdotTrucker
lvl.1
Canada

I do have an update. After discussing with my dealer, going through several refresh attempts, A factory setting restore, IMU and gimbal calibrations (IMU successful, Gimbal failed three times at different points)  there was a focus on the fact that I did a firmware upgrade on Sunday after a very successful and issue free flight and that my attempt to fly on Wednesday after the firmware upgrade was the first time to do so since the upgrade, which was when the problem was noticed. The technician I spoke to at the dealer I bought it from noted that there is a public message release from DJI indicating possible gamble issues with the firmware upgrade that is affecting a lot of people. Not just Mavic pro users but also Phantom 4 users. It apparently is a known problem to DJI and I was directed to contact DJI for support, who at the moment will be sending out an envelope for me to send it in for a replacement.  I will keep you updated on the process and if they attempt to give me any concerns such as any funds that I may unexpectedly have to pay. However if I am asked to pay, I guarantee you I will flat out refuse and expect that it be repaired or replaced properly.
2017-8-30
Use props
TdotTrucker
lvl.1
Canada

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-8-30 08:33
Hi. Sorry to hear on your issue. Can you try to provide an IMU and redo a gimbal calibration? Can you try reflashing the firmware to see if this helps? Did you have any type of a hard landing?

My apologies DJI Mark, I missed seeing your reply. Performed another IMU calibration recently after trying to refresh firmware, reset factory settings and IMU was successful, gimbal again was not. No hard landings or crashes. Noted that this is a known issue to DJI at the moment related to the recent firmware (local store reported a surge in similar gimbal issues affecting the mavic pro and phantom 4 series since the firmware upgrade.

I did speak to a lady at DJI named Cathy who stated my information and purchase date (Aug 19, 2017) qualified for product replacement. Still waiting on the email she said would be coming to initiate the next step.
2017-8-30
Use props
jkuo
lvl.1

United States

DocAraxá Posted at 2017-8-30 08:12
Dear TdotTrucker,

Unfortunately, welcome to the club:

Same thing happened to me.
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=110974

Araxa,
In your case did you end up having to pay the repair invoice?
2017-8-30
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

TdotTrucker Posted at 2017-8-30 14:16
My apologies DJI Mark, I missed seeing your reply. Performed another IMU calibration recently after trying to refresh firmware, reset factory settings and IMU was successful, gimbal again was not. No hard landings or crashes. Noted that this is a known issue to DJI at the moment related to the recent firmware (local store reported a surge in similar gimbal issues affecting the mavic pro and phantom 4 series since the firmware upgrade.

I did speak to a lady at DJI named Cathy who stated my information and purchase date (Aug 19, 2017) qualified for product replacement. Still waiting on the email she said would be coming to initiate the next step.

If you had reflashed the firmware and recalibrated the gimbal but the problem still persists, I suggest sending the drone in and we will take care of it. Please fill in some info on our online repair link of our official web and then send it back. Here is the link: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
We will do our best to help this out. Thank you.
2017-8-30
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

jkuo Posted at 2017-8-30 15:18
Same thing happened to me.
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=110974

Dear jkuo,

As you have noticed, I am from Brazil. Here, we don’t have support from DJI.
And how do things happen here?
I live in a little city (Araxá), 350km from the capital (Belo Horizonte) of my state (Minas Gerais).
The dealer is on the capital. I bought my Mavic and it comes with authorization label of a government department that rules electronic devices (ANATEL), and even the document authorizing me to flight as a non-commercial pilot from (ANAC). So, I made everything “by the book”. Many drone pilots here do not care about legally authorization, but it is not the way I do my “homework”.
Now, I had this overload problem. So, I will have to contact the dealer, that not every time is “happy” to help me. I will have to send my drone to him and expect that a technician should have the professional ability to identify my problem.
But, being optimist, identifying the problem, he will have to go to someone that will have to go to DJI, probably at the USA to, who knows when, would try to solve my problem.
So, my options:
-        To have the drone repaired; (and remember: not by a DJI technician); One month!
-        To manage to achieve DJI support (more than 6 months), and depending to everyone of that long fall I described to you; and have another drone. More than half a year without my MAVIC, and after that, pay for the authorizing documentation I said earlier.
So…. there is little hope for me.
But, thanks for your concerns.
Cheers.
2017-8-31
Use props
TdotTrucker
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-8-30 22:45
If you had reflashed the firmware and recalibrated the gimbal but the problem still persists, I suggest sending the drone in and we will take care of it. Please fill in some info on our online repair link of our official web and then send it back. Here is the link: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
We will do our best to help this out. Thank you.

Quick question in regards to sending back my drone that I just wanted to clarify.

In the instructions it says not to send back the drone with the white box that the product originally came in, the one with the black handle to hold it. However from how I am reading it, am I correct in assuming it is OK to package that white box that the product originally came in, wrapped with bubble wrap and placed with foam peanuts in another shipping box?
2017-8-31
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

TdotTrucker Posted at 2017-8-31 18:09
Quick question in regards to sending back my drone that I just wanted to clarify.

In the instructions it says not to send back the drone with the white box that the product originally came in, the one with the black handle to hold it. However from how I am reading it, am I correct in assuming it is OK to package that white box that the product originally came in, wrapped with bubble wrap and placed with foam peanuts in another shipping box?

You can send it in with the original package.
2017-9-1
Use props
TdotTrucker
lvl.1
Canada

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-1 01:38
You can send it in with the original package.

Do you link you provided to the end-user form that I have to fill out is not working. This was the form I was provided

https://s3.amazonaws.com/dji-www/uploads/files/DJI+Global+Technical+Support+Form+For+End+Users+Edited.docx

My case number is

CAS-950703-K1X2X5
2017-9-1
Use props
TdotTrucker
lvl.1
Canada

Still needing a link to a working form. I cannot ship the device without this completed form
2017-9-1
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

TdotTrucker Posted at 2017-9-1 10:17
Do you link you provided to the end-user form that I have to fill out is not working. This was the form I was provided

https://s3.amazonaws.com/dji-www/uploads/files/DJI+Global+Technical+Support+Form+For+End+Users+Edited.docx

Sorry for the late reply, could you please report this case to support.us@dji.com? They will help you out. Thank you so much.
2017-9-3
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

TdotTrucker Posted at 2017-8-30 14:16

Hey, thank you for the info. You can always hit me up as you have questions. Sorry about the inconvenience.
2017-9-8
Use props
Djassi
New
Flight distance : 195531 ft
Cabo Verde

Hi,
You guys still seeing this issue? I recently experienced this same behavior. Thanks!
2019-7-9
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Djassi Posted at 7-9 06:39
Hi,
You guys still seeing this issue? I recently experienced this same behavior. Thanks!

Djassi, sorry to hear the trouble. May I know if you are referring to the Mavic Air? If so, please kindly check the following steps:1. Please make sure that the app is the latest version, and try to replace the mobile device (for example, replace the iOS device to the Android device). If the error disappears after the app is updated or the mobile device is replaced, there is an error with the mobile device or the app.2. The gimbal clamp is not removed after powering on, the error may occur.

3. Please try to restart the drone multiple times. If the issue persists, please kindly send in the drone for diagnosis and service. Please start a case at https://repair.dji.com/repair/index?site=brandsite&from=nav.
2019-7-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules