Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
issues with sun shining in my photos
582 13 2017-8-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PilotSmith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 706539 ft
  • >>>
United States

Most of my aerial photos sessions are in the early morning and I'm have any issues with sun shining in my photos can someone tell me how to correct this issue??
2017-8-30
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

You can manage glare/flare to a small extent using a polarizer filter and I've seen some custom hoods, but you basically deal with it by shooting with the sun at your back.
2017-8-30
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Best way to post some of the photo video so we can see what are you talking about!
2017-8-30
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

The polarizer filters solved my issues.
Cheers.
2017-8-30
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Could you please tell us more about your doubts so we could help?
2017-8-30
Use props
RobDownUnder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103609 ft
Australia

Have you used the Perspex camera cover - that messes up sunrise and sunset pics.
2017-8-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Do you have an example?
I can imagine what you are talking about (sun hitting the lens causing lens flare and white haze, but just to be sure).
2017-8-30
Use props
PilotSmith
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-8-30 22:19
Do you have an example?
I can imagine what you are talking about (sun hitting the lens causing lens flare and white haze, but just to be sure).

yea... can you give any tips
2017-9-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Filters will take care of it, for best lit photos always take photos where the sun shines it's light not into the sun.
2017-9-9
Use props
PilotSmith
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-9-9 09:16
Filters will take care of it, for best lit photos always take photos where the sun shines it's light not into the sun.

which filter... I am new to all this
2017-9-9
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

PilotSmith Posted at 2017-9-9 09:38

Early morning i use either a nd-4 or nd-8 filter. nd = neutral density....
2017-9-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Depending on how bright, ND4/ND8 it's always good to carry ND4 to ND32.
2017-9-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I would love to see some pictures of what you are talking about.
To see what you are having issues with.

My best guess is that you are having troubles with the high contrast in the morning (bright sky / dark ground), causing for either a white sky OR a very dark ground.
In that case ND filters probably WON'T work, because they only reduce shutter speed (Or raise the ISO) by reducing the amount of light hitting the sensor in the total frame (so equal across the frame).
As a photographer / videographer, I use them often to be able to make long shutterspeed exposures. (nice with flowing water etc.)
Ideally you would use a graduate ND filter,  that is dark in the top and bright in the bottom. BUT this won't help you while flying, since the location of the horizon in the frame is different all the time.
With a camera on the ground you can adjust the ND filter for that (move the dark part up or down), but obviously you can't while flying.

The best thing you can do I guess, is shoot DNG and expose for the sky. You will have to do some post processing to lift the darker parts.
You can of course get a ND filter, but that is just for getting smoother video, as you will be able to maintain a shutterspeed that matches your fps * 2 (so if you are shooting 30fps, you would want a shutterspeed of 1/60)

The only situation a ND filter will help you, is when the combined fastest shutterspeed, lowest ISO and smallest aperture is still not fast enough for the brighter part of the picture.
But I doubt if that is the case.

Long story, if you show some examples I would like to take a look!

2017-9-9
Use props
fans130f1a20
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1123048 ft
Croatia

From personal experience - having sun shade lens hood can help with lens glare. However it will get into your shot on sharp / fast manoeuvres. You can find cheap lens shades pretty much anywhere; $3 on DX

Hope this helps & happy flying!
2017-9-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules