Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Integrating D-RTK data with WIRIS thermal camera
1879 7 2017-8-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ROBERM19
Second Officer
Flight distance : 839160 ft
United States

I understand the integration of D-RTK for geotagging and other miscellaneous tasks is...interesting to say the least. A company I'm working with recently acquired a WIRIS Thermal imaging camera with a CAN and GPS bus with explicit information in their manual stating that the WIRIS should be able to receive information to geotag images with. Does anyone have experience with this integration, and possibly have some insight on where to start? The SDK looks promising, but figuring out the CAN high and low will connect to the TX and RX wires of the A3 is difficult without in depth explanation by the manufacturer.

We're working with a DJI M600 with the D-RTK module and A3 Pro.
2017-8-30
Use props
ROBERM19
Second Officer
United States

So we've made some progress, and found out that plugging the WIRIS into CAN1 works, but gives us incorrect longitude data. DJI states that we cannot use CAN1 as it is only usable for their equipment, yet we're getting correct lattitude and altitude information. I'm led to believe that the data is sent with multiple types together and somehow the WIRIS is extracting data but getting confused by other data in the same packet. We've come to the conclusion that we'll need to use CAN2 and the SDK in order to use the WIRIS successfully but our software developer is strapped for time and not familiar with this system. This also has the benefit of keeping us from connecting everything to CAN1 that's already being used by D-RTK and GPS.

Has anyone developed using the CAN2 that can give us some quick tips on where to start, and what possible scripts we'll need to integrate? DJI does have extensive information in the developer guide for the SDK, but the organization is lacking and it's far from straight forward unless you've worked with SDK's for many years.

I've looked all over the forums but it seems no one is talking about this type of integration, or even attempting to share useful advice so at minimum I hope this helps someone in the future start on the right path instead of expecting to plug and play the WIRIS.
2017-9-7
Use props
HV_Sparks
lvl.2
Flight distance : 732267 ft
United Kingdom

Have you made contact with Workswell the Wiris manufacturer to see if they are able to assist?
2017-9-12
Use props
ROBERM19
Second Officer
United States

We have contacted WIRIS but their differing time zone and somewhat large size as a company has caused their replies to take about 3 days at minimum.

It turns out you can use a y-connector to split CAN1 off into two 4 pin plugs while retaining gimbal control, but longitude data, of course, still remains incorrect (by some ridiculous number, apparently we're off the SE coast of Africa)
2017-9-12
Use props
ROBERM19
Second Officer
United States

So, we found something ridiculous that should hopefully be an easy fix. The WIRIS can't interpret negative values in the latitude or longitude, causing it to create erroneous readings. We've emailed WIRIS and hope it can be resolved with a firmware update is in a timely manor.
2017-9-12
Use props
ROBERM19
Second Officer
United States

WIRIS sent us out a hotfix that resolved our errors, pretty good turn around time. Guess they were aware of the problem but couldn't really test it out.

Back to the original thread topic our solution was to splice the CAN cable going to the gimbal in parallel with another CAN connector and then have that connected to the WIRIS. After receiving our M600 Pro today, our third M600, I now see how they intended users to add the CAN functionality, theres a ridiculous amount of open CAN1 ports on the Pro that the standard doesn't have. Hope this helps others in the future.
2017-9-14
Use props
HV_Sparks
lvl.2
Flight distance : 732267 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks for the update, I have been in touch with my contact at Workswell to ensure they were aware of your issue.  Glad it's all sorted.  On a side note, what work will your Wiris be used for? We are just about to order our Gen2, just deciding on which lens option to choose.
2017-9-15
Use props
ROBERM19
Second Officer
United States

HV_Sparks Posted at 2017-9-15 08:41
Thanks for the update, I have been in touch with my contact at Workswell to ensure they were aware of your issue.  Glad it's all sorted.  On a side note, what work will your Wiris be used for? We are just about to order our Gen2, just deciding on which lens option to choose.

We're doing inspections of various sorts, I'd like to keep some of it to myself until I have permission from management to talk about it.

Just a side note, we tested out all the extra CAN1 ports on the IMU's, GPS's, etc on the M600 Pro and still the only one that will work is the CAN1 right out of the A3 so dont waste your time trying to integrate it anywhere else. We have 3 workswell thermal cameras by the way.
We have the 13mm lense on ours which is used in conjunction with a 24mm lense on a Canon DSLR Mark IV. My best advice would be to keep in mind the different images you'll receive if using two optics systems with different lenses.
2017-9-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules