Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 3 standard, extreme distances
8015 35 2017-8-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_9hixTIX
lvl.2
Flight distance : 31923 ft
United States

How is it that some people are able to get their phantom 3 standards to travel distances over 5000 feet away, without any modifications? I feel like I must be missing something. I've had mine for a couple weeks, flown it about 12 times. The furthest I've been able to travel away from the home point is 770 feet. I live on a farm in a very rural area, I don't think there should be any electromagnetic interference, except for the power line which I stay a couple hundred yards away from. I've watched the video about how to keep the antenna perpendicular to the drone, this did increase the distance from about 500 feet to 770 feet. I don't necessarily need to be able to travel 5000 feet, but at least 1500 would be nice. Would greatly appreciate any suggestions.
2017-8-31
Use props
Peterx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

My P3S got nearly 1200 feet away in 300 feed height over ground without any mode. It didn´t kick the RTH yet. I had use the course lock to make that test.
2017-8-31
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

I have a p3s also, It never goes over 1200 feet where I fly it the most.  Frustrating.
2017-8-31
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

I was able to get the 500m max distance in my area away from cities. Perhaps you need more height as well.
However the best thing you can get is the Argtek Antenna to boost the signal even for short distance flying.
2017-8-31
Use props
stuka75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85682 ft
United States

Check your settings for distance limits. This may be your problem. In top menu halfway down is slider switch. Be sure your connected to the P3 at the time. You should be getting far more than 700 feet.
2017-8-31
Use props
Churubusco
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36 ft

United States

Not sure how others are achieving long distance, I have went 8000 feet away from home point and 25,000 feet overall mission lengths with Litchi app. As far as connection distance with transmitter & video I can fly the same mission 3 different times and get 3 different results. I have had flights loose signal both video and transmitter within the first 1000 feet of the flight then the next flight immediately after flying the same mission almost 5000 feet. My suggestion forget about manual flights more than 300 feet. Past 300 feet you are probably only relying on video feed at that time unless you sight is better than mine Anything above that fly programmed missions. Just my opinion.
2017-8-31
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I've watched the video about how to keep the antenna perpendicular to the drone,

No.  You want the two antennas (one on the controller, one on the AC) to be parallel to each other, not perpendicular.  

2017-8-31
Use props
DronerX
lvl.2
Flight distance : 488192 ft
United States

The wimpy antenna on the standard RC is certainly a big part of the issue.  With the standard controller I could never get past about 400m (1300 ft).  I upgraded the antenna with Argtek and I could immediately hit over 1km (3250 ft).
2017-8-31
Use props
DronerX
lvl.2
Flight distance : 488192 ft
United States

Churubusco Posted at 2017-8-31 08:36
Not sure how others are achieving long distance, I have went 8000 feet away from home point and 25,000 feet overall mission lengths with Litchi app. As far as connection distance with transmitter & video I can fly the same mission 3 different times and get 3 different results. I have had flights loose signal both video and transmitter within the first 1000 feet of the flight then the next flight immediately after flying the same mission almost 5000 feet. My suggestion forget about manual flights more than 300 feet. Past 300 feet you are probably only relying on video feed at that time unless you sight is better than mine  Anything above that fly programmed missions. Just my opinion.

I think most of us have seen that.  It does have to do with interference and the changing geometry between the RC and drone.
2017-8-31
Use props
paraviz02
lvl.3

United States

Not sure if this applies to you Phantom 3 guys ... But for the Inspire 2 and also for P4, the latest firmware update killed the range, according to many owners. The previous versions of these firmwares were all so much better for both performance and reliability.

I'd imagine you got yours after they updated it for new models, or you may have updated the firmware before you flew for the first time (or before you tried testing the distance).

Anyways, we are holding tight for a (hopefully soon) firmware update from DJI to fix our issues. But to give you a little bit of hope, our Inspire 2 used to be able to fly 5000ft, but with the recent firmware we can only get about 1200 or so max before I'd say the flight becomes hazardous. There is hope. I promise!
2017-8-31
Use props
Sunny D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 70883 ft
  • >>>
United States

paraviz02 Posted at 2017-8-31 15:39
Not sure if this applies to you Phantom 3 guys ... But for the Inspire 2 and also for P4, the latest firmware update killed the range, according to many owners. The previous versions of these firmwares were all so much better for both performance and reliability.

I'd imagine you got yours after they updated it for new models, or you may have updated the firmware before you flew for the first time (or before you tried testing the distance).

That's strangely encouraging. From my cheap p3s, I didn't expect super range (I've got 2000' with windsurfer, VLOS), but I would be pretty upset if my inspire got cut to 1200'!
2017-8-31
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

I would recommend to change another location without any interference and adjust the antenna check again.
2017-8-31
Use props
NoelC
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-31 20:09
I would recommend to change another location without any interference and adjust the antenna check again.

I'm going to tomorrow, middle of nowhere in the desert where the nearest civilization is about 7 miles away. Also put together a DIY signal booster.
2017-9-1
Use props
NoelC
lvl.2
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-8-31 15:09
No.  You want the two antennas (one on the controller, one on the AC) to be parallel to each other, not perpendicular.

I may have worded that incorrectly, but I'll try every angle with the antenna.
2017-9-1
Use props
Michgolden
lvl.4
Flight distance : 822851 ft
United States

Right out of the box I was able to go between 8000'-8300' flying West but any other direction my distance was cut in half. The only thing I can think of is the environment and I also fly out in the country. Each way I go looks the same. I did install the Argtek and can get out to just over 15,000' but again going West and about 9000' any other direction. It's weird how things that we don't think would matter can make a big difference. Getting a bit higher-up does help.
2017-9-1
Use props
DustMan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 973373 ft
United States

Height has ALOT to do with it.
2017-9-1
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

NoelC Posted at 2017-9-1 05:05
I'm going to tomorrow, middle of nowhere in the desert where the nearest civilization is about 7 miles away. Also put together a DIY signal booster.

Please keep us updated of the further progress. Appreciate your cooperation.
2017-9-2
Use props
Epicdoom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340620 ft
United States

best I ever got from my standard was 1573ft no mods in a wide open area no power lines or WIFI for miles was up 390ft high I didn't get out to any distance past that until I installed and ARGtek and then a DBS antenna. I didn't install those devices for running my bird out real far I did it more for the best connection I could get in places where a lot of WIFI signals are present. I do most flying within visual sight of my drone between 1200 and 2400 feet away though at 2400 ft its just a dot I can still see it and everything around it.
2017-9-2
Use props
DustMan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 973373 ft
United States

Yes we're I fly mostly has a lot of interference "wifi" so I got the Argtek  and I can go over 5000 now
2017-9-2
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

unfortunately that's the issue with wifi..  regulated it to very low limits of output and locked the standard down so you can more easily tripping over other networks and loose range.    i dont know if all phantom 3 drones use wifi either.. i know all phantom 4 drones use lightbridge.

for outright best range and lowest lag at the moment (without mods) you need Occusync which as of right now only availble of the mavic Pro line..i imagine DJi will likely introduce Occysync to other lines of drones later, maybe occusync 2 or something will hit phantom series and inspire series..

2017-9-2
Use props
Epicdoom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340620 ft
United States

phantom 3 advance and pro use Lightbridge the others use WIFI
2017-9-2
Use props
DroneSmeg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478461 ft
Taiwan

A few things influence distance. First, make sure you are launching from a place without tall trees or buildings in front of you. Consider also how the angle the signal travels along changes as your drone moves down range. You are always best to launch from a high point, like a hilltop or a rooftop. Next is the standard antenna on the stock controller. The stock configuration does not allow for very far distances. I think I managed about 750 meters stock. After modding, I regularly fly multiples of that distance. The flight in this video exceeded 3km:
2017-9-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

I was kinda confused earlier.  It appears the OP has changed his username mid-thread.  Haha

First - choose your transmission point.  If your site is the least bit hilly, be at the highest point possible.  Next, choose your flight path.  Try to avoid flying over trees and brush if you can.  Once these two things have been determined, it's time to position the controller.  I would aim the controller and antennas very carefully.  Research how the signal leaves the antennas which will help you understand how to aim.  Understand where the FPV antennas are on the controller and where they are pointing.  Position the controller perfectly so that the FPV antennas are pointing perfectly just above the horizon.  Adjust the control antenna so it is perfect which is to say either end of the antenna is equidistant to where the AC will be flying.  I would place the controller on a tripod or on a table positioned so it is elevated/aimed  perfectly.  If using a table, place the controller near the edge of the table - you don't want the signal bouncing off the table.  The higher your controller is off the ground, the better luck you'll have.   Aim your controller like a sniper rifle.  When everything is perfect, send the AC straight out on a line around 50' higher than the lowest obstacle.  Send it out and watch the signal strengths.  When you see weakness, go up another 50' or so.  Keep going.  The signal strength should increase back to max again as you head further out.  Keep going.  It would help if you had an object in the distance you were aiming for so you can see it on your monitor which will keep you aligned.  Keep going.  When you see the FPV start to break up, or if the telemetry starts to lag, keep going.  You should get good distance.  Don't forget to check the wind forecast before flight.  Good luck!  
2017-9-3
Use props
djiuser_3w8WCwv
New
Flight distance : 14797 ft

Indonesia

Hmmm...i think 800 m
2017-9-3
Use props
Tom24nh
lvl.1
Flight distance : 174239 ft
United States

2,620 ft has been my farthest distance and still had signal to go further but chickened out, with stock control. was in a wide open area flying over a valley.
2017-9-4
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 100220 ft
Canada

I can attest to the fact a P3S is affected in many ways by big city radio and other interference on our P3S, I love in a fairly large city and recently visited my brother who loves in a rural town of 60 people.... My P3S flew flawlessly and range was more than ever expected. Just a problem being a big city boy!!
2017-9-4
Use props
Fretman_2
lvl.1
United States

Ive not been a drone pilot very long, but i'm of the opinion that the drone should always be in sight.  That should take of distance issues.
2017-9-4
Use props
Microcyb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1095955 ft
United States

Well that fact is you cannot unless you change a few things.  Many people (myself included) have reached up to 2+ miles but those conversations are not longer allowed to be shared within this forum area.
2017-9-7
Use props
NoelC
lvl.2
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-9-2 00:58
Please keep us updated of the further progress. Appreciate your cooperation.

In the middle of nowhere, southwest New Mexico Desert, I was able to get about 900 feet.  Was constantly adjusting the antenna.  This morning, behind my house was able to get about 1300 feet for some reason.

I've tried different Heights, between 90 feet and 320 feet.  I've been getting the best results right around 200 feet.  I am confined to a wheelchair, I keep the remote on my lap.  Going back to the middle of nowhere tomorrow, I'm going to let somebody else fly who can stand.
2017-9-8
Use props
NoelC
lvl.2
United States

Went to the middle of nowhere again, here's an example of the terrain. Headed west, was able to go over 2000 feet. The other directions, only about 700 feet.

2017-9-9
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
United States

This is stock, right?
2017-9-9
Use props
Mike T Peterson
lvl.1
Flight distance : 222592 ft
United States

I remember reading somewhere that the P3 controller can put 20dbi of signal (I don't understand it but ok) and that it only comes with a 3dbi antenna. I upgraded my controller with the ARGTEK antennas that are like 12-15dbi. Before I could only go about 700ft but after the new antennas I have full signal a mile out. Which is waaay further than I'll ever go but gives me confidence I'll always have a strong signal for normal, closer operations.
2017-9-10
Use props
NoelC
lvl.2
United States

Yes, it is stock. For the time being anyway.
2017-9-12
Use props
NoelC
lvl.2
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-9-3 03:15
I was kinda confused earlier.  It appears the OP has changed his username mid-thread.  Haha

First - choose your transmission point.  If your site is the least bit hilly, be at the highest point possible.  Next, choose your flight path.  Try to avoid flying over trees and brush if you can.  Once these two things have been determined, it's time to position the controller.  I would aim the controller and antennas very carefully.  Research how the signal leaves the antennas which will help you understand how to aim.  Understand where the FPV antennas are on the controller and where they are pointing.  Position the controller perfectly so that the FPV antennas are pointing perfectly just above the horizon.  Adjust the control antenna so it is perfect which is to say either end of the antenna is equidistant to where the AC will be flying.  I would place the controller on a tripod or on a table positioned so it is elevated/aimed  perfectly.  If using a table, place the controller near the edge of the table - you don't want the signal bouncing off the table.  The higher your controller is off the ground, the better luck you'll have.   Aim your controller like a sniper rifle.  When everything is perfect, send the AC straight out on a line around 50' higher than the lowest obstacle.  Send it out and watch the signal strengths.  When you see weakness, go up another 50' or so.  Keep going.  The signal strength should increase back to max again as you head further out.  Keep going.  It would help if you had an object in the distance you were aiming for so you can see it on your monitor which will keep you aligned.  Keep going.  When you see the FPV start to break up, or if the telemetry starts to lag, keep going.  You should get good distance.  Don't forget to check the wind forecast before flight.  Good luck!

Sorry, I didn't intend to change my username, I suppose it's because I updated my profile. Thank you for the suggestions, I'm going to keep experimenting with different antenna angles.
2017-9-12
Use props
djiuser_7SJCSSv
Banned

Vietnam

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-9-18
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

Can not comment on any third party products. However, it is a good idea to check the App to make sure there are no settings limitations. Of course the idea of flying in a different location can be helpful.
2017-9-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules