1366 15 2017-8-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ped078
lvl.4
Flight distance : 565794 ft
United Kingdom

Hi guys.

Question 1) Can you change the LED's on the Spark, so it's easier to see when flying at night?
Question 2) Can you overlay flight data (height, speed, heading ect)  onto the recorded video?

Cheers people
2017-8-31
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

#1,  The LED's are pretty bright, should be fairly easy to see at night.  Secondly, flying at night might be illegal in some countries like in Canada.  Check your local regulations
#2,  If you mean, on the recorded video from your spark .. no.  But you can record your screen on IOS to capture a video of activity on your screen.

2017-8-31
Use props
Charles Adams
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Question 1:  Not advised.  Flying at night is against FAA regulations (in the US) unless you have obtained a waiver.  Ignoring the regulations for a moment, I have seen on Amazon a kit one can buy which mounts two led flashlights to the spark.

Question 2:  I'm curious about that one.  I don't think there's a way to overly that data, but elsewhere in the forums DJI says that such information is stored in the metadata of pictures.  I've wondered if that same information is stored in the metadata of video.
2017-8-31
Use props
LouisP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 41952 ft
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-31 10:21
Question 1:  Not advised.  Flying at night is against FAA regulations (in the US) unless you have obtained a waiver.  Ignoring the regulations for a moment, I have seen on Amazon a kit one can buy which mounts two led flashlights to the spark.

Question 2:  I'm curious about that one.  I don't think there's a way to overly that data, but elsewhere in the forums DJI says that such information is stored in the metadata of pictures.  I've wondered if that same information is stored in the metadata of video.

I don't know about meta data for movies.. but I just dropped a few JPGs from the spark into a meta data reader...  Along with the usual stuff, there is altitude above sea level, altitude above the ground, gimble pitch and yaw.  Neat.
2017-8-31
Use props
jiminythompson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 163337 ft
United Kingdom

Illegal to fly at night in UK (or pretty much any country from what I've seen here)
2017-8-31
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jiminythompson Posted at 2017-8-31 12:31
Illegal to fly at night in UK (or pretty much any country from what I've seen here)

Where do the CAA does it state this? I can't find it.
2017-8-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

In NL it for sure is illegal
2017-8-31
Use props
jiminythompson
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Malakai_UK Posted at 2017-8-31 12:43
Where do the CAA does it state this? I can't find it.

My apologies, I think I was getting mixed up with the Commercial ratings.  It doesn't seem that there are direct rules for non-commerical night flying.  I've just got back from Italy where it is not allowed (like a lot of other European countries).

Other threads on this forum (and others) have licenced pilots joining and commenting on visual flight rules; might be worth checking these out, but it seems for hobbyists there's no restriction other than visual line of sight & the rest of the drone code.

Prob best checking with CAA direct if unsure however.
2017-8-31
Use props
Malakai_UK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 536115 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jiminythompson Posted at 2017-8-31 13:17
My apologies, I think I was getting mixed up with the Commercial ratings.  It doesn't seem that there are direct rules for non-commerical night flying.  I've just got back from Italy where it is not allowed (like a lot of other European countries).

Other threads on this forum (and others) have licenced pilots joining and commenting on visual flight rules; might be worth checking these out, but it seems for hobbyists there's no restriction other than visual line of sight & the rest of the drone code.

Yeah they changed some stuff in regards to flying a SUSA (Small Unmanned Surveillance Aircraft or drone with a camera). Any unmanned aircraft with a camera that beams live video that you can see is classed as FPV flying even you use a monitor, screen, tablet or goggles and as such you have to either have the permission to fly or be flying as per the exemption here. In a nutshell you have to have a competent observer while you fly and within VLOS.  As a bonus you can go up to 1000 feet lol.
2017-8-31
Use props
jiminythompson
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Malakai_UK Posted at 2017-8-31 13:22
Yeah they changed some stuff in regards to flying a SUSA (Small Unmanned Surveillance Aircraft or drone with a camera). Any unmanned aircraft with a camera that beams live video that you can see is classed as FPV flying even you use a monitor, screen, tablet or goggles and as such you have to either have the permission to fly or be flying as per the exemption here. In a nutshell you have to have a competent observer while you fly and within VLOS.  As a bonus you can go up to 1000 feet lol.

I don't rate my chances of spotting a Spark at 1,000 feet!
2017-8-31
Use props
realstreetuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7966 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In uk? I have not heard about that? are you sure. if so where did you get the info?
Thanks
2017-8-31
Use props
realstreetuk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

In uk? I have not heard about that? are you sure. if so where did you get the info?
Thanks
2017-8-31
Use props
jiminythompson
lvl.4
United Kingdom

realstreetuk Posted at 2017-8-31 13:41
Thanks

Scroll up...
2017-8-31
Use props
realstreetuk
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

lol yes seen it after i posted
2017-8-31
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

I personally think the red lights are really apparent, and we don't support or suggest changing it. And Spark doesn't have .srt files.
2017-9-3
Use props
ped078
lvl.4
Flight distance : 565794 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-3 20:29
I personally think the red lights are really apparent, and we don't support or suggest changing it. And Spark doesn't have .srt files.

Yes they are,  except when recording of course, which is what I want to do.
2017-9-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules