Thoughts on new "weatherproofing" P4P drones
2402 11 2017-8-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nauticalman
lvl.2

United States

I notice a lot of talk in our Phantom Pilots forum recently about new "waterproof" skins for allowing people to fly their Phantom 4 Pro in the rain.  Does anyone here have, or have tried any of these products in the past?  I'm just curious of the pros and cons, because where I live, we have what are called "sunshowers" whereby its sunny one minute and then a microburst of rain the next.  And sometimes when you feel that first raindrop your drone is a couple miles away and needs to get back before the deluge hits it.  What are you thoughts on these new "waterproof" kits?
2017-8-31
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Yeah I saw that.  I think it's a cool idea and I appreciate the innovative thinking, but personally I don't see a need for it and don't have a desire for it.  For one thing, I don't have a desire to fly in the rain.  I've been caught in the rain a couple times, and both times the rain had no effect - I brought it home safely from over a mile away both times with no problems at all.  Also, it will add weight.  So do I want to fly around with this added weight 24/7?  I think not.  MHO.  

Same applies for prop guards, extra long landing gear, and those pontoon things that are supposed to keep you afloat when you land in water.  

You know what would get me excited?  A live tracker like the old Flytrex Live 3G.  
2017-8-31
Use props
MrRobert5823
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1385223 ft
United States

Meh... not an important feature to me
2017-8-31
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

It's a cool idea but not practicable for now. Water damage is always a catastrophic destruction.
2017-8-31
Use props
fans589cba4b
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12780633 ft
  • >>>
United States

whats the point, one drop on the lens and the video is unusable.
2017-8-31
Use props
Nauticalman
lvl.2

United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2017-8-31 19:28
It's a cool idea but not practicable for now. Water damage is always a catastrophic destruction.

thats what I was thinking.  All it takes is a little moisture to mix with electricity and then you got a brick.  The other thing I was wondering about is how do the engines cool themselves if you take away their air intakes.
2017-8-31
Use props
Nauticalman
lvl.2

United States

fans589cba4b Posted at 2017-8-31 19:47
whats the point, one drop on the lens and the video is unusable.

Good point.  
2017-8-31
Use props
CraigR
lvl.3
Australia

I'd prefer a high-viz vest for my phantom before a wetsuit to be honest
2017-9-1
Use props
Nauticalman
lvl.2

United States

CraigR Posted at 2017-9-1 01:27
I'd prefer a high-viz vest for my phantom before a wetsuit to be honest

CraigR, Thank you for clarifying the distinction between the two.  And now that you mention it, my eyes are old, so maybe getting something that accents a little dot with fans in the sky might be helpful.  But since you mention it, do they make them where they don't obstruct the air intakes to cool the motors?
2017-9-1
Use props
Keith Thompson
lvl.3

United States

It seems everyone is hopping on the DJI accessories train these days.  Personally, I think DJI made the Phantom 4 pro as water tight as it needs to be.  I got caught in a surprise shower after the weatherman predicted 10% chance of rain, and was able to fly my Phantom back in light rain without any problems or water related damage.  The "skins" are cool, if you want to customize and stand out, but as Nauticalman said above, the question is if the added insulation inhibits cooling.  Maybe if you live in Seattle or somewhere it rains, it might have its favor, but for all I've researched, there is no "guarantee" against rain damage or moisture.
2017-9-2
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Keith Thompson Posted at 2017-9-2 18:00
It seems everyone is hopping on the DJI accessories train these days.  Personally, I think DJI made the Phantom 4 pro as water tight as it needs to be.  I got caught in a surprise shower after the weatherman predicted 10% chance of rain, and was able to fly my Phantom back in light rain without any problems or water related damage.  The "skins" are cool, if you want to customize and stand out, but as Nauticalman said above, the question is if the added insulation inhibits cooling.  Maybe if you live in Seattle or somewhere it rains, it might have its favor, but for all I've researched, there is no "guarantee" against rain damage or moisture.

Ya'all need to watch this ! It's a Mavic but still, Amazing! And with no Mods!

2017-10-5
Use props
GoodmanRP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4344974 ft
  • >>>
Poland

2017-10-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules